These days there are more and more harmful chemicals getting into our tap water like chloramines, PFAS, and vinyl chloride – and the trend is only getting worse.
With that idea in mind, we wanted to create a highly contaminated water sample by adding concentrated chlorine, fertilizers, and pesticides to see how the AquaTru countertop water filter could perform under extreme circumstances.
To conduct our AqauTru review, we used an independent laboratory test that analyzes 109 different substances. This allows us to provide an unbiased perspective based on impartial lab data. Spoiler alert – the results are shocking!
AquaTru Countertop RO Best Overall
High efficiency with minimal wastewater
Comes with a remineralization filter option
Long filter life and low replacement costs
No installation required
AquaTru Reverse Osmosis Lab Test Results
We took a sample of Phoenix, Arizona tap water and added concentrated chlorine, urea, and pesticides to it to create a worst-case scenario for drinking water. A before water sample of the mix was sent to the lab to establish the baseline. We then used the same water to run through the AquaTru and took an after sample of the RO-treated water.
As expected, the initial water sample showed elevated contaminant levels of disinfection by-products, lead, lithium, fluoride, and nitrate. It was the worst water test I have ever seen, which was the expectation.
After filtering the water through the AquaTru, there was a significant reduction or elimination of nearly all harmful contaminants. All of the disinfection by-products, including trihalomethanes (THMs), were removed by 100%. Lead and lithium were also removed by 100%. Fluoride was removed by 87%, and nitrate was removed by 100%. Below are the links to both lab tests so you can review them in detail.
Who It’s Best For
The AquaTru is perfect for people that want reverse osmosis filtration, but cannot modify their plumbing. This means it is ideal for apartments, RVs, or offices. (or for people that just don’t want to mess around with an under sink install!) The countertop RO is a great alternative to a water filter pitcher if you want more effective water treatment.
Filter Replacement And Cost
The AquaTru uses a three stage filtration system that comes with a particulate pre-filter/activated carbon filter, followed by the reverse osmosis membrane, and lastly an activated carbon post filter to finish the water.
The pre and post filters will last approximately 6 months, while the RO membrane can last for up to 24 months. This means that the annual filter replacement cost is only about $80.
Pros Of The AquaTru
- No installation: Just set it on your counter, plug it in, and go through the setup process, which takes 15 minutes or less. There is no installation and it’s perfect for renting or situations where you can’t modify your plumbing.
- NSF-certified filtration: Four-stage filtration process is certified to NSF/ANSI standards 42, 53, and 58 to remove things like chlorine, fluoride, lead, nitrates, VOCs, and more. See the full NSF certification here.
- Long filter life: Filters last from 6 months to 2 years, and the digital display will alert you when it’s time to change. The reverse osmosis membrane lasts 2 years, while the pre and post-filters need to be replaced every 6 – 12 months.
- Remineralization: Can get the optional remineralization filter or add remineralization drops to the filtered water if you want more alkaline water.
- High efficiency: The Aquatru has a very low waste water ratio. For every 1 gallon of tap water, 3/4 of a gallon of purified water is produced, or 80% efficiency. Compared to traditional RO systems that waste 4 gallons of water just to get one gallon of purified water.
- Removable water tank: It has a large 3qt storage capacity that is big enough for most families. And it’s removable so you can store it in the fridge or use it as a pitcher.
- PBA-Free Materials: The AquaTru uses all BPS and BPA-free Tritan plastic.t
- One-Year Warranty: Everything is backed by a one-year warranty, which is very long for a countertop water filter system.
Cons Of The AquaTru
- Not a lot of space under the water spigot: The room under the water spigot where you dispense water is tall enough to fill most cups. However, if you have a tall water bottle you may have to remove the water tank in order to fill it. This is not really a deal breaker, but something I noted as I used it.
- Filter replacement costs: Although the AquaTru 3-stage system is super effective at removing contaminants, it means you need to replace three filters. As noted above, the filters do last a long time, so the annual filter replacement cost is $80.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do the AquaTru filters last before replacing?
The reverse osmosis membrane lasts up to 24 months, while the carbon and VOC filters need to be replaced every 6 – 12 months.
Is the AquaTru filter worth it?
Yes, the AquaTru is worth it because it is tested to NSF 58 certifications and is capable of removing up to 99.9% of common water contaminants like lead, chlorine, fluoride and more.
Does the AquaTru have continuous dispensing?
Yes, the AquaTru has continuous dispensing by simply pressing the dispense button for as long as you need. Note it has a 3 quart capacity tank.