When it comes to baking, there are many ways in which you can get creative. As technology evolves, more-and-more options become available on the market to help you bake creative things that your children, family members, or friends will adore – or perhaps your clients, should you choose to bake professionally.
In recent times, edible printers have become quite popular, allowing you to print virtually anything on special paper, present it on a cake, and then allow the host to take a bite without having to expose them to the toxins that are found in normal printer ink. Buying the best edible printer for cakes of 2019 is important, as some of these products simply do not provide you with the performance that you come to expect. We’ve researched and discovered the top-rated edible printer for cakes of 2018, as well as the worst one to avoid.
Reviews of the 5 Best Edible Printer for Cakes, Plus the Worst 1 to Avoid
1. Icinginks Edible Printer Art Package Review
After we did a lot of research into the edible printers that are currently available on the market, we set out to find the one that would qualify as the best edible printer for cakes of 2019. The one that matches all of our criteria was the Icinginks Edible Printer Art Package. This is more of a complete package rather than just a printer, and the package comes with a Canon-branded edible printer. In addition to the printer itself, you also get a range of accessories. The accessories include wafer sheets, icing sheets, fine tip edible markers, and a couple of edible ink cartridges, which can all be refilled once you have used up all the ink. The printer is able to print with the edible ink in vibrant and vivid colors, so there is no need to worry about photos coming out dull. The package also includes a CD where you will find the appropriate driver for the printer, as well as bundled software that you can use to edit your photos and make them perfect for the cake you will be placing them on.
2. Edible Printer Bundle Brand New Canon All-In-One Printer with Edible Paper and Inks Review
If you are looking for the best edible ink printer that would suit a smaller budget, then consider the Edible Printer Bundle Brand New Canon All-In-One Printer with Edible Paper and Inks. This is another bundle that comes with a Canon-branded printer – instead of just a printer, this canon device also allows you to scan photos that you would ultimately like to print on some edible paper. The package comes complete with the edible ink cartridges you need to start printing as soon as your package arrives. The supplier of this bundle, known as PC Universal, also adds access to online design software that you can use to create appropriate designs to print out on edible paper.
3. Icinginks Professional Edible Printer Bundle System Review
Another great choice from Icinginks if you are looking to buy the best edible image printer, especially if you have a little more to spend on a higher quality product that includes a wider range of accessories that will help make the process of printing edible photos easier. Similar to other edible printer bundles from the Icinginks brand, this bundle also comes with a Canon printer but includes more accessories than most of the other bundles that the brand has available on the market at the moment. Apart from including the main printer that is used to print with the edible cartridges, you also get the essential cartridges, as well as additional refills that you can use when the cartridges run out of edible ink. The bundle also includes refilling tools, prime frosting sheets, and a complete instructions manual that will make it much easier for you to get started printing your favorite photos on paper, which you can then use while baking cakes.
4. Edible Printer Bundle-Canon Wireless Review
Another option that is great for those looking for the best printer for edible ink on the market would do really well by opting for the Edible Printer Bundle by Sweet And Magical. This bundle comes with a high-quality Canon printer that also has scanning capabilities and wireless technologies. You can easily send your photos from a smartphone or even some types of digital cameras to the printer and have them printed onto edible paper. The edible ink cartridges that come with this bundle can be easily refilled, so there is no need to worry about having to buy new cartridges every time yours run out of ink. The bundle is also very affordable and comes with a basic kit that you will need to get started.
5. ProColor Edible Printer Complete Bundle with New Wireless Printer Review
Last on our list of the best options that you can opt for if you are looking to buy an edible printer would be the ProColor Edible Printer Complete Bundle with new Wireless Printer. This one comes with a ProColor Edible Printer that offers wireless technology that makes it very easy to print your favorite photos directly without the need to import them into your computer or edit them with any software first. The product comes with refillable edible ink cartridges that have already been prefilled with edible ink – this means the moment you receive the package you can set it up and start printing.
Avoid – Edible Printer Bundle – Includes XL Edible Ink Cartridges Review
We’ve considered the best options on the market in terms of buying an edible printer that you can use to print on specific types of paper and place these printouts on a cake. We also want to take a quick moment to share with you one of the worst edible printers for cakes on the market at the moment. After some research, we determined that the Edible Printer Bundle – Includes XL Edible Ink Cartridges – is a particular bundled product that you would not want to buy. The bundle is overpriced, and the quality of the ink that comes with the printer does not seem to be up to standards when compared to similar products.
2019 Buyers Guide to the Best Edible Printer for Cakes:
After the release of the very first edible printer to the general public, many brands who specializes in baking goods and printers, in general, have decided to make their own versions of these printers. Today, there are too many options on the market to choose from, and it is often very difficult to determine exactly which brand to opt for and which particular edible printer to buy. We’ve reviewed a number of these products and found some important points to consider, which ultimately makes the process of filtering through these products and finding the right one a breeze. Let’s take a look at three crucial points you should keep in mind while shopping for a new edible printer.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Features: When it comes to buying one of these printers, our first priority should be to take a good look at the specific features that the device offers. With so many options out there and different brands each making their own promises, you can quickly start to drown in all of the promotional material they use to draw in buyers and get you to hit that buy button. Instead of being too hasty, make sure you look at the technical specifications of the device, and not just the promotional messages that the brand throws at you. There are some brands who will sell a standard printer to you and promote it as an edible printer. Yes, it might be possible to use a standard Jet printer, equip it with some edible ink cartridges, and then print on edible paper, but the performance and resolution will not be the same compared to buying a device that was specifically built for this particular purpose. Also, consider what’s included in the printer’s box. You will sometimes need special kinds of software to use the printer – make sure the manufacturer includes a CD in the box in order to give you instant access to the software the moment you open the box.
- Quality And Safety: Both the quality and the safety of an edible printer should also be a priority when you look at these devices. In terms of quality, consider how the printer was built and take a second look at its features. There really is no use in opting for the cheapest product on the market when it will only seize to operate correctly after you have printed just a couple of photos – or perhaps not even work at all from the very start. In terms of safety, make sure that the ink that comes with the printer really is edible. Standard ink is dangerous for your body and extremely toxic. Do not look for words like “non-toxic ink.” Make sure the printer you want to buy comes with “edible” ink – look for this word. This will ensure that the ink used was made from edible compounds and not toxic materials that could harm you and all other people who will be diving into the cake once you decide to level it. It would be a good idea to do some background research on the brand that manufactures a particular printer you feel keen on buying. If you do some research on the brand, chances are you’ll discover at least a couple of reviews that have been left by previous buyers. Use these reviews to your advantage, as they will allow you to see if the printer would be a good quality product and if the ink really is safe to eat.
- Price: Don’t forget to look at the price of the printer you want to buy. Avoid just entering your credit card details and hitting the order button – you will easily find yourself paying much more for a device like this than necessary. Many brands might try to exploit the fact that the technology of printing with edible ink and paper is still relatively new to the general public – they will throw a range of promotional messages in your face and then charge you much more than you should really be paying for the device. Look for brands that are reputable and trustworthy, and then consider how much they are charging for an edible printer. While we are advising you to be careful about paying too much for one of these printers, you should be wary of the cheap options on the market as well. If a particular option you might be interested in seems to have a price tag attached to it that is too low, then it will most likely be a product that will leave you disappointed.
What is an edible printer?
Let’s consider what an edible printer really is. First off – no, we are not referring to a printer that you can actually eat. Instead, we are talking about printers that are designed to help you print with ink that is safe to consume. An edible printer is basically just like a normal printer, but it was designed to print on a special type of paper that can be consumed – and it was also designed to use a special type of ink that does not contain any of the toxins that are found in the ink you usually use to print out documents. This is considered a more advanced cake decorating tool.
There are different options on the market in terms of edible printers, but they really are all the same when it comes to looking at their functions – to print with edible ink on edible paper.
Some of these products are, of course, better made than others. Even some of the popular brands that usually specializes in manufacturing standard printers have delved into the world of edible printers – look out for these as they are made by reputable brands that know how a printer should really work.
Do you need a special printer to print edible images?
When you already have a standard printer at home that you frequently use to print out documents and even photos, you might be wondering if you really need to go out and buy a special type of printer in order to print with edible ink. This would essentially be another expense for you, so you want to make sure that it is absolutely necessary if you are planning to print out some edible photographs, or a cake airbrush, for a special cake that you might be planning to bake.
In reality, the answer is no. It is possible to use certain types of printers in order to print with the edible ink that you can buy at a variety of places in your local area. Both jet printers and bubbler printers usually tend to work just fine with edible ink.
On the other hand, there are two major issues that we need to take into consideration here. First of all, a standard printer has not been tested to work with edible ink or to print on edible paper. Canon, a particular brand that has a number of edible printers out on the market, has noted that people are not advised to use their standard printer line to print with edible ink.
Secondly, there is always a risk of the edible ink being contaminated with some of the old ink left behind by previously used cartridges. When this happens, you are “poisoning” the edible ink, and the end result will be toxic.
How to use an edible printer to print edible images?
Using an edible printer to print out some photos that you can add to a cake you want to bake is relatively simple. In fact, most companies have made their printers very similar to standard printers – what this means is that if you know how to use a standard printer, you’ll instantly feel familiar with an edible printer as well. This, however, really depends on the specific printer that you decide to buy and the way that the manufacturer decided to design the printer.
The majority of edible printers are simply plugged into your computer – usually through a USB connection – and then also connected to the appropriate power cord, which should come with the printer when you buy it. Once connected, your computer should pick up the printer and add it to the list of devices you can print documents and photos too. Now, when you want to print out something onto the edible paper (using the edible ink, of course), you would simply open up the photo or design, click the print button, and choose your edible printer from the list of available printers.
There are, however, cases where printers come with special software that you will need to install in order to use the printer. These are often available in the form of a driver that comes loaded on a CD, which should be included with the printer in its box. Sometimes, you would also be provided with special software that will help you create beautiful designs and edit existing photos so that they can look great when printed.
How To – Edible Images for Cakes (Video):
Final Thoughts on Buying the Best Edible Printer for Cakes:
Edible printers have become relatively popular and allow you to print out pictures that can be added to cakes. Whether you are planning to create a Spongebob cake for your child or perhaps a more adult-themed cake for friends who are coming over to enjoy a special event with you – this type of device will really allow you to push your creativity and create something truly magnificent for those moments you will be sharing with others. In this post, we introduced you to the best edible printer for cakes of 2019 to make the process of choosing the right device faster, easier, and safer for you.
If you are looking for a great way to display your hand-crafted cakes, please check out our other review on some of the best cake turntables.