If you want to make your family breakfasts that much more enjoyable, you need one of the best electric griddles for home cooking. Griddles provide an evenly heated cooking surface, which makes for an easy clean up after, keeping the mess away from your stovetop. Typically, a griddle is just like a frying pan, but it has a larger surface that is entirely flat. There’s no struggle to flip pancakes or eggs over a curved lip. Instead, you have enough room to maneuver your spatula without issue and achieve a clean flip. We’ve researched and cooked up the five top-rated electric griddles, as well as a couple you should consider avoiding.
Reviews of the 5 Best Electric Griddles, Plus 2 to Avoid
1. Presto 07061 22-Inch Electric Griddle
The Presto 07061 22-Inch Electric Griddle is the best electric griddle of 2020, and there’s no matching it’s ability to cook evenly, stay warm, and catch grease. Presto is an amazing brand, and this model is the best presto electric griddle.
How does this product deliver everything you could want from an electric griddle? The Presto 07061 22-Inch Electric Griddle keeps it simple. The large surface area is heated evenly throughout and that it’s the best feature. A 22-inch cooking surface also makes it the best large electric griddle.
The cooking surface is especially large which is great for Sunday breakfast, dinner with friends, and for holidays. The surface retains its heat and maintains its temperature well enough that you could go back to back pancake batches without any problems. If you’re making a ton of food in one go, this is the griddle to get it done. The handles are removable, so storage is easy, and it cleans like a breeze.
2. Zojirushi Gourmet Sizzler Electric Griddle
If you’re looking for something high-end that’s reliable, and easy to store the Zojirushi Gourmet Sizzler Electric Griddle is the right choice for you. It has an impressive temperature span, starting at 176 degrees and going up to 425.
The surface is a non-stick ceramic, reinforced with titanium to ensure that this griddle will last for years. The Zojirushi Gourmet Sizzler Electric Griddle is the best professional griddle on the market.
Assembly and storage are easy as the pieces fit together snugly and the handles rest on top of part of the unit’s bodyguard. As the best professional electric griddle, this unit uses laid as well which help for holding in steam. Unlike other griddles, you can easily pull off crispy hash browns, Sunnyside up eggs and crepes.
3. Oster DuraCeramic Griddle with Warming Tray Review
This griddle is one of the best on the market, and hands down the best ceramic electric griddle available right now. Oster is a well-known name for anything relating to ceramics! Everything from cookware to trimming shears Oster always performs well and lasts for years.
The dura ceramic surface feels like old-school Teflon, but it doesn’t peel. The ceramic surface is easy to clean, you can watch the left-over grease roll right off.
One of the big concerns with griddles is that the spatula will scratch the surface. Ceramic takes a lot more effort to scratch than Teflon or other non-stick surfaces.
The Oster DuraCeramic has a 10” by 18” cooking surface which is big enough to handle a large crowd, but there’s extra space when you account for the warming tray which sits underneath the griddle. Overall, this is the best ceramic electric griddle available.
4. Cuisinart GR-4NAMZ 5-in-1 Electric Griddle Review
Cuisinart is the starter of all kitchen appliances, but this griddle delivers so much more than your standard electric griddle. Although it’s many features eventually knocked it down a few spots on this list, it’s still hands down the best electric pancake griddle.
This device opens up from a compacted, closed design to show 2 griddle surfaces. The Cuisinart GR-4NAMZ 5-in-1 Electric Griddle shines because of its practicality and price. The 2 smaller surfaces are great for pancake making as you’re not crowing a single surface and you can easily use a spatula from any angle.
The Cuisinart GR-4NAMZ 5-in-1 Electric Griddle is one of the best appliances a college grad, or someone living alone for the first time can invest in to help them with cooking. The price isn’t high, and in its place, you get an electric griddle that can also grill meat and press sandwiches!
5. Black and Decker GD2011B Family Size Electric Griddle Review
The best way to start a family visit is with hearty helpings of breakfast! The Black and Decker GD2011B Family Size Electric Griddle is the perfect griddle for family gatherings. It holds its temperature well and cleans up is easy.
There’s no easier grease cleanup than the Black and Decker GD2011B Family Size Electric Griddle grease tray. The tray has a lip that goes around the entire grease catch so when you pull it out the grease doesn’t slosh or spill. This griddle has a very large cooking area, and the temperature control is easy to use. To set up the right temperature all you have to do is twist the dial, and in less than a few minutes your griddle is ready to use!
Some electric griddles can pull it off an offer multiple features, but Hamilton Beach is quickly losing its reputation for quality products. This electric griddle has 2 sides that work independently of each other which is great because you can have 2 different heat settings.
Where the Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 grill/griddle goes wrong is that neither of the heating units is reliable. They may work for a few months and then start developing cold spots. This isn’t unrealistic as other Hamilton Beach electric griddles have the same issue.
Overall this isn’t the worst electric griddle of 2020, but you should avoid this electric griddle if at all possible.
The Hamilton Beach 25360 Indoor Flavor/Searing Grill is a griddle that utilizes plates to offer different functions. But, it has a cover that tucks over it nicely, and it doesn’t look too bad either. But, there are many reasons that the Hamilton Beach 25360 Indoor Flavor/Searing Grill is the worst electric griddle of 2020.
The non-stick plates are removable and easy to clean, but removable plates come with a few issues. The first issue is that the plates have a wider space between the cooking surface and the heating element. Another issue is how the plates clip into the unit.
Overall the Hamilton Beach 25360 Indoor Flavor/Searing Grill is the worst electric griddle of 2020 because of its plastic parts and unreliable heating element.
2020 Buyers Guide to the Best Electric Griddle
When it’s time to choose an electric griddle, there are 3 aspects you can’t ignore. These appliances are extremely versatile and great for anyone who doesn’t enjoy spending a lot of time over a stove. Electric griddles can bake anything from eggs to tempura vegetables.
They make great gifts for new college students, housewarming, and the holidays. Their surfaces are almost always easy to clean, and the units rarely produce any smoke.
3 Main Points to Consider:
Although there are different models, qualities, and features these are 3 aspects that a great electric griddle needs. If you’re looking to buy an electric griddle for yourself, or someone you know, keep an eye on these categories.
- Cleanup: When it’s time to start cleaning up the kitchen after some fresh brewed coffee and a big home breakfast the last thing you want to do is clean a ton of pans. Electric griddles make cleanup easy, but you should look into how each griddle functions. Some griddles have gutter-like systems to funnel grease into a trap or drip tray. These griddles are difficult to clean because getting in that gutter takes some finesse. If you’re looking for the best electric griddle of 2020 you want a completely flat cooking surface. When you’re cleaning the tray, you should ensure that all of the heat controls are disconnected from any power outlet and fully removed from the tray. Submerge the griddle under water and clean with a sponge and mild detergent. If a griddle requires any more cleaning than the simple steps listed above, it’s too complicated, and you should move on.
- Size: There are so many sizes when it comes to electric griddles, so it comes down to preference. If you’re looking only to serve 2 or 3 people, you could easily go for a smaller option. However, if you’re looking to feed 4 or 5 people, you should look at the larger size options. A large griddle can help ensure that you’re not eating eggs, and then bacon, and then pancakes. However, you could opt for a smaller size if there’s a warming tray that will allow you to cook in stages but keep your finished food warm. Many people don’t want large griddle because of the space they can take up. To solve this problem, many brands are creating folding griddles that store at about half of their length. These griddles occasionally have issues, but overall, it’s not a bad solution.
- Types of Electric Griddles: There are some options you have when it comes to finding the right electric griddle for you and your family. The first decision you must make is whether you want a plain old griddle, a griddle/grill combo, or a multipurpose griddle. Because every electric griddle relies on plates sitting over a heating element, there’s a lot of flexibility in design. Many brands have started utilizing both sides of the plate offering a grill face on one side and a flat surface on the other side. The heating is always uniform, but the griddle/grill combos are known for having issues heating up because the plate is further away from the heating element. The further away the surface of the heating element the long it will take to reach the appropriate temperature. The multipurpose grills often fall short when it comes to quality because they’re focusing on how to efficiently and effectively get all these different plates and functions into one unit. Instead, these brands should focus on delivering one great product. There are a few exceptions where multifunction griddles perform exceptionally well.
What are the Most Popular Breakfast Foods to Make on an Electric Griddle?
To name a few, bacon, pancakes and eggs. But a great electric griddle does so much more than cook pancakes. It is great for:
- Hash browns
- Country-style potatoes
- Corned Beef Hash
These long-loved breakfast foods are only the beginning of your electric griddle possibilities. They’re useful for keeping food warm, serving, and using as an extra cooking platform when your stovetop burners are full.
How to Cook an Omelette on an Electric Griddle (Video Instructions):
Final Thoughts on Finding One of the Best Electric Griddles:
Electric griddles are very popular a will probably continue to increase in popularity are more people prefer to stay away from the stove and spend less time cooking. Although multifunction griddles aren’t the best thing available right now, there’s promise that the quality brands behind these units are working to build better models. The right electric griddle will be easy to use, easy to clean, easy to maintain the directed temperature and be easy to store.