Electric water heaters warm up rods, submerged within a water storage tank and then transfer heat from the rods to the water. We’ve researched and reviewed the seven top-rated electric water heaters on the market.
What are the best electric water heaters on the market?
✅ 1. A.O. Smith 80 Gallon Electric Water Heater Learn More
✅ 2. Rheem Marathon Learn More
✅ 3. American Standard Electric Water Heater Learn More
✅ 4. Camplux Pro Electric Mini-Water Heater Learn More
✅ 5. Reliance Electric Water Heater Learn More
✅ 6. Stiebel Eltron Electric Water Heater Learn More
✅ 7. Eccotemp EM-2.5 Learn More
Reviews of the 7 Best Electric Water Heaters
1. A.O. Smith 80 Gallon Electric Water Heater
A.O. Smith 80 Gallon Electric Water Heater Review: Best 80 Gallon Electric Water Heater A leader in hot water innovation since 1874, A.O. Smith has crafted the 80-gallon electric water heater featuring substantial brass parts, tamper-resistant enhanced-flow drain valves. This light-duty commercial 80-gallon electric water heater has a maximum working pressure of 150 pounds per square inch (PSI). A.O. Smith components are compatible with its high-range adjustable thermostat to heat the home’s water between 120º to 181ºF.
Achieve maximum temperatures without overheating the water; the A.O. Smith 80 gallon electric water heater offers a manual reset high-temperature cutoff. 3 Year Limited Tank/1 Year Limited Parts Warranty.
Rigorously tested, easy to install, the A.O. Smith 80 gallon weighs 175 pounds and measures 24” L x 24” W x 60.5” H assembled. The A.O. Smith is the best 80-gallon electric water heater for a small business or single-family home requiring large amounts of hot water at irregular intervals drawn from an internal storage recovery tank. Enjoy up to four 27-minute showers a day!
Warranty: A.O. Smith offers a 3 Year Limited Tank/1 Year Limited Parts.
To watch the A.O. Smith 80 Gallon Electric Water Heater Review on YouTube, click here.
- Irregular interval (recovery) hot water heating
- Quality metal heating rods and tank insulation
- Built with expertise and innovation
- Does not continuously supply hot water on demand
- Longer wait times to heat additional water needs
- A.O. Smith makes it difficult to find information about this model online
2. Rheem Marathon
Rheem Marathon Review: Best 50 Gallon Electric Water Heater Rheem makes their customers a top priority. That approach to excellence is in every Rheem product. You will experience Rheem’s efficiency and high-performance with the Marathon 50’s recessed drain valve. Its unique placement and design keep the valve safe from being broken off from the force of a broom or floor scrubber. The water port fittings are thoughtfully placed at the front of the tank to allow for convenient access. The tank’s lower titanium element to heat the water reduces lime build-up.
The Rheem Marathon 50 gallon electric water heater has a durable, molded polyethylene outer shell to resist dents and scratches. The outer shell’s construction combats salt air, making it perfect for installing in homes near coastal waters.
A single, seamless, blow-molded tank keeps it free of rust and corrosion. The inner core of the tank uses layers of wound fiberglass filaments. The inner and outer dual construction gives the Rheem Marathon 50 gallon electric water heater unmatched strength.
Rheem’s construction helps reduce energy consumption and lowers monthly energy costs.
Marathon 50 is constructed with the highest standards and sustainability goals; the Rheem Marathon 50 gallon electric water heater weighs 100 pounds and measures 23.5″ L x 23.5″ W x 62.75″ H, our pick for the best 50-gallon electric water heater.
Warranty: Rheem offers a lifetime limited warranty on the tank and 6 years on parts.
To watch the Rheem Marathon Review on YouTube, click here.
- Factory installed, thermally fused components and parts
- Resistant to dry firing
- Quality insulation design reduces stand-by heat loss
- Some issues with the heater not honored manufacturer’s warranty
- Expensive anode rods replaced twice within the first year
- Minor unexpected and unmanageable leakage
3. American Standard Electric Water Heater
American Standard Electric Water Heater Review: Best 19 Gallon Electric Water Heater American Standard products are synonymous with the word heavy-duty. The 19-gallon model is no exception. Built with a solid heavy-gauge steel tank outer shell, and factory-installed brass drain valve for quick and easy draining and sediment reduction. The proprietary Inner Dura® glass lined tank is fired at 1,600°F for ultimate corrosion-free performance and extended life of the water heater.
Every American Standard electric water heater is 100% hydrostatically tested to check the endurance and strength of the heater’s seal and gasket strength, leaks at any seams pressure control valves.
The American Standard 19 gallon electric water heater uses optimized innovation and ingenuity to help reduce energy costs. Using a state-of-the-art anode rod for longer tank life, and a unique immersion heating element to directly heat the water faster, and easy-to-use thermostat to fully adjust the temperature of the water up to 160° F.
Built touch for point-of-use, the American Standard 19 gallon electric water heater is great for any home or business that requires hot water at locations where hot water requirements doesn’t require long water pipe installation from the source into the home or commercial building. The small footprint is perfect for installation under cabinets or mop sinks and other confined spaces.
The high-performance efficiency, eco-friendly innovation in the American Standard 19 gallon electric water heater weighs 73.6 pounds and measures 18.5 length x 18.5 width x 24.88 height. So much amazing technology makes this the best 19 gallon electric water heater.
Warranty: American Standard residential water heaters come with a 6 year limited tank and parts warranty. Commercial heaters include a 3 year limited warranty on the tank, 1 year on the parts.
To watch the American Standard Electric Water Heater Review on YouTube, click here.
- Provides continual hot water to 2 showers with hot water to spare
- Easy installation
- Powerful and safe for a smaller water heater
- Unit arrived dented and required professional installation and costs
- Operated for approximately 2 weeks before requiring service
- Extra parts required for initial installation
4. Camplux Pro Electric Mini-Water Heater
Camplux Electric Water Heater Review: Best 120v Electric Water Heater The Camplux is tiny, mighty, and easy to use. Set it on a shelf, mountain on the wall, or place it below a sink. Comparable to 40 gallons and larger electric water heater tanks, the Camplux Pro 120v electric water heater can handle the same maximum water pressure of 150 PSI.
Does the convenience of having 6.5 gallons of hot water per minute sound inviting? Then the Camplux Pro mini-tank footprint fits under your sink, out of the way, and provides hot water exactly where you need it when you need it.
The Camplux Pro Water Heater glass-lined tank and automatic thermostat controls adjust the water temperature to provide dry-firing and unexpected overheating.
This mini-tank water heater can be shelf, wall, or floor-mounted; Simply tap into the cold-water line and install the water heater directly at the sink to provide hot water. Product dimension:14.6″ width x 17.7″ height x 17.7″ depth. Warm reminder: This ME70B water heater No power Cord.
Know at a glance how the Pro is performing. A built-in red indicator lamp lights when the water is heating. Drain the heater and turn the thermostat knob to the unique snowflake position when the heater isn’t used for an extended period and protect it from freezing temperatures. The compact design and these two great features alone make this the best 120v electric water heater.
The Camplux Pro Water Heater measures 17.7″ width x 17.7″ height x 14.6″ depth and weighs 26.5 pounds.
Warranty: Camplux offers a 1-year warranty on parts of the water heater.
To watch the Camplux Electric Water Heater Review on YouTube, click here.
- Fast recovery rate can supply how water to 2 sinks simultaneously
- Simple, stylish and creative design complements existing decor
- Easy tap-into-water-source installation
- Inferior inept and outlet threads for hose mounts
- Unit requires continuous relief valve safety operation
- Extra parts required depending on desired mounting/installation preference
5. Reliance Electric Water Heater
Reliance Electric Water Heater Review: Best 6 Gallon Electric Water Heater If you have room in your crawl space for an electric water heater or think it’s time for a new under-the-counter electric water heater, then Reliance has the perfect 6-gallon model. Don’t let the compact size fool you. This compact, hard-working, 120v water heater uses copper elements, a quality magnesium-zinc anode rod to heat and maintain water temperatures. It has a side-mounted cold inlet and hot outlet ports for easy installation.
Reliance Electric Water Heater installs each temperature and pressure part and gauge to meet all UL listing guidelines and NAECA codes. An impressive inch of 16.00 R-value foam and an inner glass-lined tank provides two layers of reliable insulation to provide plenty of hot water needs. Warranty: 6-year tank/parts
At only 33.3 pounds and measuring 15.25” H x 14.12” L x 14.12” W, the Reliance is the best 6-gallon electric water heater for small spaces.
Warranty: Reliance offers a 6-year warranty on both the tank and parts.
To watch the Reliance Electric Water Heater Review on YouTube, click here.
- Not compatible with a home’s soft water system
- Great add-on to a home’s external water heater (professional estimate recommended)
- Superior performance for point-of-use for laundry room, work sink or guest bathroom
- Not compatible with a home’s soft water system
- Questionable shipping methods (broken and missing parts)
- Nearly impossible to remove and replace the anode rod
6. Stiebel Eltron Electric Water Heater
Stiebel Eltron Electric Water Heater Review: Best Mini Electric Water Heater Stiebel ticks all the boxes with the Eltron mini electric water heater. Stiebel constructs the Eltron with a glass-lined tank, a unique water recirculation loop feature, mounting brackets, innovative insulation to reduce stand-by loss, and eliminates the need for extra plumbing parts with a standard 110/120v wall outlet plug. Talk about quick installation!
With the Stiebel Eltron Electric Water Heater, reliable quantities of hot water flow where and when it’s needed; up to 140°F within 10 minutes! Or you could wait for the tank in the garage to heat the reclaimed water for an hour and 20 minutes. Connect an Eltron to an in-line central tank to allow immediate hot water to flow to a single location. The installation takes less than 30 minutes. No more impatience and waiting for that cold-to-hot flow through the longer pipes snaking through the house. No more purges of unexpected cold water; once the Eltron fills with water, plug it in!
Discover why the Stiebel Eltron is the best mini electric water heater and is part of the world leading Stiebel advanced water heating technology products for over 90 years.
Do you prefer storing 30 or more gallons in a large electric tank, waiting for the water to heat up, or relying on the 22 pounds Stiebel Eltron to get 4 gallons of hot water sufficient for the job right to the place where you need hot water within minutes? With a 26.5” H x 16” L x 16” W footprint, this mini electric water installs practically anywhere!
Warranty: Stiebel offers a workmanship (leaks, parts) warranty for seven (7) years and defects in manufacturing (subject to Stiebel in writing) for three (3) years from the date of purchase.
To watch the Stiebel Eltron Electric Water Heater Review on YouTube, click here.
- Supplies a steady stream of hot water
- Reliable performance year after year
- Helpful and knowledgeable customer support
- Pressure relief valve can be difficult to operate
- Drainpipe not included with purchase of the water heater
- Unexplained corrosion and cracking within the first year
7. Eccotemp EM-2.5
Eccotemp EM-2.5 Review: Best Point of Use Electric Water Heater If an electric water heater could offer plug-and-play convenience, then the Eccotemp would be the electric water heater to provide it. The compact design installs virtually anywhere and has so many unique features. It is genuinely the best point-of-use electric water heater.
The Eccotemp EM-2.5 features an adjustable temperature control between 50°F – 140°F, a 25-45 Minute recovery time, plus the convenience of temperature and pressure relief valves included in the purchase! Floor and wall bracket mounts for “anywhere” installation, a 110/120v plug quickly get hot water flowing, and no need to pay for recirculating lines or pumps or make an appointment for professional installation.
The tank capacity of the Eccotemp is 2.5 gallons. If on-demand hot water to any faucet without the wait sounds perfect, then this compact and lightweight electric water heater is precisely what your small home, office space, business, RV, or any small space requires hot water!!
The mini but mighty Eccotemp EM-2.5 point-of-use electric water heater weighs just under 20 pounds and measures 14.75″ w x 11″ D x 13.25″ H
Warranty: Eccotemp offers a minimal minimum of ninety (90) days parts and labor warranty and requires registration of the unit within sixty (60) days of purchase. The Eccotemp warranty does not cover accessories and/or add-on options purchased separately.
To watch the Eccotemp EM-2.5 Review on YouTube, click here.
- Hot water for up to two sinks simultaneously
- Hot water on demand
- Easy to open packaging and simple installation instructions
- Unreliable for multi-use applications
- Heating element wore out within 6 months
- Unit won’t heat water past 80°F
*Electric Water Heaters Review on YouTube*
2021 Buyers Guide to the Best Electric Water Heater:
We’ve pointed out some important pros and cons about each electric water heater brand we researched. One of the most commonalities we’ve listed is making sure that the tank or tankless electric water heater you’re deciding to purchase, meets all the critical demands of your home’s electrical system and is compatible enough to not consistently trip a circuit breaker. The wrong electric water heater can create a lot of havoc. It’s paramount before purchasing your new electric water heater that you do some advanced research. Here are three most important factors to consider.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Energy Efficiency – The amount of water you need to heat for your home can drastically raise or significantly lower your energy bill. If your concerned about the cost of running your electric water heater, and you should be, investigate the various electric water heaters on the market to understand the inlet temperature the water heater requires, to the amount of time it takes the water heater to heat the precise amount of water you need in your home at one or any given time. If you choose a tank-style electric water heater, also consider the amount of water that stays hot, in the tank, without having to rely on a cold-start each time you need hot water. Most of the electric water heaters we investigated don’t require any level of ventilation, however, for your health and safety, understand the right source and the best way to install your new electric water heater for maximum efficiency and greater monthly energy savings.
- Climate/Inlet Temp – Most of our research also found us continuously being directed to the various manufacturer’s Inlet Temp Map. This color-coded map, of the United States, differentiates the average water temperature in each state or temperature zone, as it enters the home’s electric water heater. Much like knowing when it’s best to grow your perennials and annuals, understanding the electric water heater’s relationship to your climate changes is important to the system’s efficiency and overall health of the water heater. It’s imperative to understand the average inlet water temperature in your region, prior to purchasing the best electric water heater for your needs. Educating yourself with this knowledge can save you hundreds of dollars in repairs, calls to the repairman and damaging the electric water heater’s valuable copper heating elements.
- Storage Capacity – Any old electric water heater will do, right? Wrong! Know the electric water heater’s first hour rating; how long it takes per hour to heat the entire tank full of water, and how many gallons of water the element can heat efficiently. Every moment the electric water heater is running, the electric bill is increasing. We can’t express enough how important the burner and the size of the heating element are in relation to the size of the tank, and, the amount of hot water you need flowing through the home at any given time. If you only need enough hot water to run a quick shower and the dishwasher, a smaller electric water heater tank or compatible tankless unit may be more appropriate. The 50-80 gallon drum-sized electric water heaters and the more technologically advanced tankless water heaters are great, and yes, they can run 4 showers, the dishwasher and 2 hand sinks simultaneously. Do you need that much water and an electric water heater constantly trying to achieve that goal? The amount of storage/water capacity + the amount of water used daily + heating time should = a reasonably low energy bill. Bigger doesn’t always mean better, and tankless may seem luxurious, but it may not be compatible with the home’s electrical system or water intake. Do your research for the very best results. And it never hurts to consult a professional for a free estimate.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What is the most cost effective hot water heater?
For cost effectiveness, a tankless electric water heater may be a more sizable cost investment, but these hot water heating systems offer consumers more energy savings and better efficiency than their tank-style counterparts. Conventional tank water heaters don’t typically offer a hot water on demand feature, or a precision 1°F +/- rapid temperature control.
Tankless versions are also practically noise-free. Where a tank-style electric water heater needs about a 12 foot radius of free space in each direction, and typically requires a stable external temperature in the garage or shed to function properly. Whereas, tankless electric water heaters have a small footprint and mount to the wall like a picture frame.
Are new electric water heaters more efficient?
Many manufacturers follow the requirements set by environment law to make sure that the electric water heaters they produce meet the highest standard of efficiency and energy savings. And tankless electric water heaters meet even better requirements and higher standards, making them one of the most popular new styles of electric water heater available on the market.
Final Thoughts on Buying an Electric Water Heater
No matter the size of your home, office, workshop, or RV, there is an electric water heater to fit every lifestyle. Don’t fuss with drilling into the drywall and the extra trips to the hardware store to figure out the different lengths of pipe and fittings you need jig sawed together to get hot water to every shower, the dishwasher, and the laundry room. Spend less time worrying about leaks and water pressure. And more time focused on the price, overall efficiency, and ease of installation.
*Freshnss Values Transparency and Integrity*
Additional Water Heater Reviews
Rheem Water Heaters
Tankless Water Heaters
Propane Tankless Water Heater
Electric Tankless Water Heaters
50-Gallon Electric Water Heater
50-Gallon Gas Water Heater
Gas Tankless Water Heaters
RV Tankless Water Heater