One of the best kitchen sink strainers placed within your sink will provide a clean and aesthetically pleasing addition. It’s designed to ensure that excess food particles and debris does not end up clogging your sink drain. In essence, it’s a minor investment, which may save you some big headaches over time. Additionally, a strainer can be considered a decor piece that can add unassuming character to your kitchen.
We’ve researched and discovered nine top-rated kitchen sink strainers, plus the one you may want to avoid.
Reviews of the 9 Best Kitchen Sink Strainer, Plus 1 to Avoid
1. OXO Good Grips Silicone Sink Strainer Review
This is considered to be one of the best kitchen sink strainer stopper on the market. Cleaning up the kitchen sink will never been easier than with this OXO strainer.
Its composition of stainless steel and flexible silicone mean it can easily be inverted to empty out any trapped debris. Even the underside has silicon, so, for example if you have a copper kitchen sink, it will not scratch this material and cause damage.
The OXO Good Grips Silicone Sink Strainer can easily stop debris from going down the drain. You do not have to worry about the rust stains because the material used is rust-resistant.
On occasion, you can simply place this OXO good grips silicone sink strainer in the dishwasher from time to time to keep it clean. Just be sure to shake out any larger chunks of food particles into the garbage beforehand.
To watch the OXO Good Grips Silicone Sink Strainer Review on YouTube, click here.
2. Fengbao 2 Piece Kitchen Sink Strainer Stainless Steel Review
This is a great value buy – in one purchase, you get two stainless steel kitchen sink strainers. This gives you on active and one backup. Individually, they will last a long period of time and can prevent clogging of the sink against food debris and other pieces that might get flushed down the drain.
The anti-clogging feature is guaranteed by a micro-perforated bowl-shaped which is 2.75” in size. It is contoured with a 2-ply metal sheet that is added to secure the strainer in place.
Rusting will not be a problem because the stainless material used for the whole strainer is reliable and durable.
The Fengbao 2 Piece Kitchen Sink Strainer Stainless Steel can be cleaned in the dishwasher. Rinse them first with warm and soapy water to retain the mirror-like shine these have for a long time.
This sink strainer is large with a wide diameter of 4.5”, which means it will catch even the biggest food debris.
To watch the Fengbao 2 Piece Kitchen Sink Strainer Stainless Steel Review on YouTube, click here.
3. Keeney Deep Thread Cast Brass Complete Kitchen Strainer Review
Perhaps one of the classiest on the list, this kitchen sink strainer is made of a heavy-duty brass material. Keeney Deep Thread Cast Brass Complete Kitchen Strainer comes in different colors, such as biscuit, oil-rubbed bronze, black, polished chrome, white finish, and stainless steel.
Included in its features is a powerball lock basket, which works on kitchen sink drains with standard 3.5 inches. This feature allows it to be secure all the time and prevents it from sliding around.
As an added bonus, it comes with washers and nuts to help make installation a lot easier.
It may be slightly pricier than most of the sink strainers in the list, but for the quality and appearance, it sure offers a great value.
To watch the Keeney Deep Thread Cast Brass Complete Kitchen Strainer Review on YouTube, click here.
4. Kitchen Sink Post Type Basket Strainer Duo Locknut Style with Stainless Steel Body by LASCO Review
Made with a white finish, this sink strainer provides a compliment to a white kitchen sink. It has a pretty simple design, but its functionality and efficiency are pretty much spot on.
The Kitchen Sink Post Type Basket Strainer Duo Locknut Style with Stainless Steel Body by LASCO can fit up to 3 ½ opening, which makes it perfect to use in standard sized kitchen sink openings.
It has lock nuts and washers that assist in securing the strainer whenever the faucet water is flowing.
To watch the Kitchen Sink Post Type Basket Strainer Duo Locknut Style with Stainless Steel Body by LASCO Review on YouTube, click here.
5. Everflow 7516 Kitchen Sink Stainless Steel Drain Assembly with Strainer Basket Review
The company is well-known for creating highly durable stainless steel kitchen sink strainers. It should not come as a total surprise that they have delivered one of the best kitchen sink strainer basket on the market.
You can choose whether to use a plug or the strainer. It can also fit standard drains sized 3 ½ to 4 ½ inches of the flange.
The Everflow 7516 Kitchen Sink Stainless Steel Drain Assembly with Strainer Basket also comes with detachable parts. It has many additional products that go with it, which is rare to come by with stainless steel drainers. Installation is also not a problem, because the heavy-duty design of its double cup makes it very easy.
When cleaning the strainer, just remove all the trapped bits off of the sink basket and place it in the dishwasher. After that, you are good to reuse it.
The stainless steel is built to last and you can use it for a long time.
To watch the Everflow 7516 Kitchen Sink Stainless Steel Drain Assembly with Strainer Basket Review on YouTube, click here.
6. Duostrainer Basket Strainer by Kohler Review
Finding the right strainer for your kitchen sink is not going to be a problem with this model because Duostrainer Basket Strainer by Kohler comes with a variety of shades such as almond, polished nickel, polished chrome, white, stainless polished brass, vibrant stainless steel – which goes well with a black kitchen sink – as well as vibrant brushed bronze, and vibrant brushed nickel. Surely, you can snag one that looks like it belongs in your kitchen.
The colors and finishes offer you an option to mix and match with the K-8804 Duostrainer body.
With the Kohler finish, the stainless steel will not easily corrode or get tarnished.
The basket strainer comes with a stopper you can easily open and close, if you choose to fully block up the strainer – not letting any debris at all slip through.
The durability of the product is considered better than even the industrial grade ones.
With all this quality and value, it is understandable why the product isn’t the cheapest option available.
To watch the Duostrainer Basket Strainer by Kohler Review on YouTube, click here.
7. Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Strainer Set of 2 by Happy Sales Review
This option gives you two kitchen sink strainers for one purchase. This might make you concerned that they’re designed to fail quickly.
However, it’s more a matter of a delicate mesh design that – on the one hand prevents any food particles or other debris from clogging down your drain – yet on the other, can fall apart over time.
The proper size allows easy flow of water while preventing waste from going with it.
The structure is simple but unique. The beveled edge secures it in place, so it will not be removed while you are washing the dishes.
The Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Strainer Set of 2 by Happy Sales is standard in size, measuring approximately around 4.25 to 4.25 inches by 1.5 inches.
If you are worried you might need to replace the strainer right away, you already have another one waiting for you!
To watch the Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Strainer Set of 2 by Happy Sales Review on YouTube, click here.
8. Danco Twist Tight Strainer Replacement Basket Review
The Danco Twist Tight Strainer Replacement Basket comes in a standard pack and set of three.
This strainer material is composed of rust-resistant chrome. Additionally, it also has finish that provides for a quality look that will keep it almost brand new for a long time.
Its replacement basket is set to match a modern décor.
With the durability of its metal, you can depend on it to last long. Yet, with three in this package there are a pair of sturdy backup options.
To watch the Danco Twist Tight Strainer Replacement Basket Review on YouTube, click here.
9. Drop In Kitchen Bar Sink Basket Strainer by Decor Star Review
The oil rubbed finish comes in a bronze tone. It covers 3 and a half inches of the kitchen opening.
The Drop In Kitchen Bar Sink Basket Strainer by Decor Star is fairly easy to clean, so you will not have any problem with washing this pretty simple kitchen strainer.
It is made from stainless steel with a contemporary style.
The best part is that it comes with a lifetime manufacturer warranty.
To watch the Drop In Kitchen Bar Sink Basket Strainer by Decor Star Review on YouTube, click here.
Avoid – Kitchen Silicone Sink Strainer Four Piece by Acusstom Review
Do not be fooled by its cute design, this kitchen sink strainer is not a good idea. The Kitchen Silicone Sink Strainer Four Piece by Acusstom is perhaps the worst kitchen sink strainer on the market now.
For one, it is made of silicone and plastic. The silicone promises not to scratch the sink, but this does not provide a stylish look for your kitchen.
Cleaning this strainer is somewhat of a tedious task. The instructions say that you need to just invert the silicone to empty it out, but you also need to manually wash it.
It does, however, do a fairly acceptable job of restricting debris and particles that might clog the drain. While it does not cause any blockages, you should consider the material being utilized.
You would be wise to avoid this kitchen sink strainer.
To watch the Kitchen Silicone Sink Strainer Four Piece by Acusstom Review on YouTube, click here.
2021 Buyers Guide to the Best Kitchen Sink Strainer
Finding the right sink strainer seems like a pretty straightforward task. The price point will almost always be under $50, which means it is not a big investment. However, it is crucial to have a reliable sink strainer because of what it does to prevent blockages and build up of food debris into your plumbing systems. That stated, there are several factors you need to consider to find the stainless steel kitchen strainer that can last you a long time.
4 Main Points to Consider
- Rust Proof: You would not want a sink strainer that can easily be corroded by rust. Why? Well, will you be comfortable washing your utensils, plates, cooking ware in your sink that has rust? The answer is most likely no. For your safety, you will need a rust-proof kitchen sink strainer that can last for a long time. Rust can deteriorate the product, so you will need to replace it right away. It decays away the metal and in no time, you will need to go to the hardware store to get a new one. Choosing a rust-proof sink strainer will simplify things for you, such as those made with stainless steel.
- Easy to Wash and Clean: Strainers are designed to catch food particles that would otherwise end up stuck, somewhere down the drain. The concern is that debris can sit there for a long time if you do not clean it right away and empty the strainer. That being said, if a strainer is not easy to clean, then you might forego the process from time to time. This is never a good idea. There are many stainless steel sink strainers that are dishwasher friendly. All you need to do is get rid of the trapped particles by shaking it into the trash, wash it lightly, and throw it in the dishwasher.
- Durability: The build, style, and finish should be long-lasting. More than just stainless steel, it should have a rubber stopper and a metal plate. You know that this part of the sink will be the go-between from the sink to the drain and will have debris as well as dished stacked on it. It needs to be tough and resistant to nicks and dents, while at the same time not damaging your kitchen sink. Brass and stainless steel are the best materials on the market, for this purpose. This is why most of the top kitchen sink strainers included in the list are made of these materials. The construction and design should also be well put together to prevent limited breakdown of the strainer.
- Performance: Of course, performance is without a doubt a considerable factor. Not every strainer is expected to perform the same way. It may seem like a menial thing to restrict food from clogging the drain pipes, but a great performing sink strainer will do this job while allowing water to pass through with ease. Therefore, it needs small-sized holes to stop food debris and other waste materials from going down with the water and entering the drain, but if it is too small, it might also block the water and clog up the sink. If you choose one with big holes, the particles might go straight down the drain eventually clogging up your sink, as well. Consider this before making a purchase.
What is the function of the sink strainer?
A sink strainer is either a mesh strainer or a stainless steel metal sieve that filters out solid particles and debris that would otherwise make their way into the plumbing system.
A strainer permits the water to go through, but halts the larger objects before you become trapped the sink’s piping.
These debris items will instead sit in the bottom or may get transferred to an additional strainer component, such as a basket. Eventually, this will be cleaned out and emptied into the trash bin.
Without a strainer, your drain may be left with large particles that could eventually backup your plumbing and potentially cause water damage to the kitchen area.
Of course, plumber fees are expensive and you will do well to prevent that from happening with a sink strainer.
Best Kitchen Sink Strainer (2021 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Kitchen Sink Strainer
When looking for the best kitchen sink strainer of 2021, you must be on the lookout for a durable, fully functional, easy to clean and maintain, rust-proof product. There are many sink strainers on the market that look similar, but may have quality differences between them. If you compromise the quality of your kitchen sink strainer, you will be constantly replacing it or, in the worst case scenario, may need plumbing services more frequent than you would want to. Avoid extra expenditure on your part by ticking all the important boxes of a quality stainless steel kitchen sink strainer and protect the centerpiece of your kitchen – the all important sink!