While it is exciting to make kombucha at home, there are essential ingredients that need to be selected carefully. Procuring the best kombucha scoby is one such staple and you need to ensure the scoby culture you choose will produce the highest kombucha brewing quality. We’ve researched and discovered seven top-rated kombucha scoby, plus one you should consider avoiding.
Reviews of the 7 Best Kombucha Scoby, Plus 1 to Avoid
1. Organic Kombucha Scoby and Starter Tea by Joshua Tree Kombucha Review
The Organic Kombucha Scoby and Starter Tea by Joshua Tree Kombucha is the best kombucha scoby of 2020 that we were able to find available on the market at the moment. The starter culture that comes with this kit does not contain any type of artificial ingredients, including flavoring agents, and there is no added vinegar to the formula. All ingredients used in the starter culture and the tea mixture are organic, which makes them more effective in providing you with the expected health benefits. Furthermore, the kombucha scoby is grown in a commercial facility that is approved by the Food and Drugs Administration of the United States. This particular kombucha starter kit provides an adequate balance of microorganisms for brewing kombucha.
2. Organic Kombucha Scoby Live Culture by Scoby Kombucha Review
Our research has indicated that the best organic kombucha scoby that you can currently buy is the Organic Kombucha Scoby Live Culture by Scoby Kombucha. This kit includes a single scoby that has been grown to be used as a starter for the growth of additional scobys, as well as to help you brew the perfect batch of kombucha. The scoby can be used for continuous brewing and can be done anywhere – there is no special equipment needed when using the Organic Kombucha Scoby Live Culture by Scoby Kombucha. The culture that is included in this kit is around one-quarter of an inch thick and may be up to three inches in diameter. Additionally, the scoby is 100% organic, providing a maximum level of benefits.
3. Two Poseymom Kombucha Scobys Review
The Two Poseymom Kombucha Scobys is a pack of two kombucha scobys, or starter cultures, that form the base for the growth “baby” scobys and also to help you brew your own kombucha. Each of the scobys that are included in this kit includes some starter tea that you can also use to get your kombucha started. The manufacturer of this starter culture guarantees that each scoby they ship will arrive quickly at the customer’s delivery address and that each culture will be fresh. Furthermore, the manufacturer also has a website that provides customers with free information to help them get started quickly and easily – the website offers various articles on how kombucha brewing works and how the customer should use the scobys included with the kit.
4. Kombucha Kamp Genuine Kombucha Culture Review
If you are looking for a larger starter culture that will help you make more kombucha and also assist with creating “baby” cultures faster, then the Kombucha Kamp Genuine Kombucha Culture might be a perfect option for you. The manufacturer, Kombucha Kamp, produces each of the cultures they sell in a separate jar and is grown only from certified organic ingredients. This kit comes with two products – a starter kombucha scoby, as well as a starter tea that contains yeast strands. A single scoby is able to brew up to one gallon of kombucha, which is a larger capacity as compared to many alternative options that are currently available. The scoby also comes with a guarantee to ensure customers are satisfied.
5. Kombucha Scoby with Starter Tea and 1 Gallon Kombucha Jar by Kitchentoolz Review
People who want to buy the “complete package” to help them get started with brewing kombucha quickly can opt for the Kombucha Scoby with Starter Tea and 1 Gallon Kombucha Jar by Kitchentoolz. The kit includes everything that is needed to get started. The jar also provides adequate storage space for the first gallon of kombucha that will be brewed using the starter culture that is included in the package. Apart from the scoby, starter tea, and the kombucha jar, the package also comes with a complete instructional manual that will guide you through the entire process of brewing your very first gallon of kombucha.
6. Everbru Kombucha Brewing Starter Kit with Scoby Review
Next up in our list of the best options for kombucha starter cultures is the Everbru Kombucha Brewing Starter Kit by Scoby. This is not a single scoby as many other brands currently offer, but rather one of the most complete kits that you are currently going to find on the market. In addition to including an organically grown starter culture that will be the “base” for the kombucha that you will be brewing, this particular starter kit also comes with a jar, strain, an organic kombucha mixture, as well as a tea mixture – this makes it much easier to make your first batch of kombucha.
7. Kombucha Brewing Starter Kit 6.5” Organic Scoby Review
The final option that we found to be good for those looking to brew some kombucha at home is the Kombucha Brewing Starter Kit 6.5” Organic Scoby. This is another complete “kit” option and is manufactured by the Get Kombucha brand. It should be noted, however, that even though promoted as a complete kombucha starter kit, this particular package does not come with a jar. Luckily, it is cheap and easy to get your hands on the perfect jar to be used for your brewing. The scoby that is included with this kit is also made from organic ingredients and have been grown to provide the right balance of bacteria and yeast to allow maximum efficiency in the brewing of kombucha.
Avoid – Kombucha Starter Culture Scoby for Homemade Sparkling Probiotic Tea Review
If you are looking to buy a high-quality culture, then you should avoid this kombucha scoby. At first view, the Kombucha Starter Culture Scoby for Homemade Sparkling Tea by Cultures for Health seems like a good option, but there are numerous red flags that need to be looked at before deciding on this particular option. The kit does come with a reusable scoby that can be used for the continuous brewing of kombucha. Additionally, this scoby does not contain any non-vegan ingredients. It is also free of dairy and gluten-free. The starter ingredients provided in this kit also does not seem to work effectively in growing the right type of scoby. It looks like the ingredients contained in the mixture often leads to a dry culture instead of a “jelly” like scoby that is needed for brewing kombucha.
2020 Buyers Guide to the Best Kombucha Scoby
There are numerous factors that should be looked at when you decide to buy a scoby and start brewing and then bottling your own kombucha without having to buy store-brand kombucha – which is often quite expensive. Below, we will share three of the most important points to take into consideration while shopping for the perfect scoby.
3 Main Points to Consider
- Supplier Reputation: The growth and production of a scoby is a complicated process. It is vital that the right procedure is followed in the making of the kombucha culture in order to ensure that the kombucha that will be brewed with the scoby will taste great and be healthy in the way that the bacteria and other microorganisms can help to improve the digestive function of the person who will consume the kombucha. One of the best ways to find a good scoby is to look at the reputation of the supplier, as well as how long they have been in business. A company that has been producing scobys for the past decade is likely to produce better options that a company who has only been offering these kombucha cultures for less than a year. The longer a company has been producing these cultures, the more “perfected” their procedures will be.
- Microbe Balance: Another important factor that needs to be considered when buying a scoby is the balance of microbes that are found in the culture. This is, unfortunately, a particularly difficult fact to determine about a scoby. The reason for this is that the majority of suppliers who grow and sell these cultures do not provide an overview of the bacteria and yeast species, or the balance of the microorganisms, that are found within their scobys. To make sure that there would be at least an approximate good balance of microbes, look for scobys that are organic in nature. Additionally, you can also get in touch the supplier of a particular culture you may be interested in and see if they are able to provide you with further details on the microbe balance.
- Lifespan of Cultures: Apart from the microbe balance and, of course, taking a look at the reputation of the supplier that you are interested in buying from, also consider whether the cultures that you may want to buy can be used for continuous brewing. There are many scoby options out there that are not good for continuous brewing as they would not grow fast enough and become useless after one or two brews. Other cultures on the market, however, can be used continuously and the parts that break off will leave behind microorganism species that can continue to grow and create more scobys in the process.
Kombucha scoby care: how to keep your scoby alive and well?
Buying a kombucha culture, more popularly known as a scoby, provides you with a “starter kit.” The scoby is often referred to as the “mother” – you would then brew kombucha and, in the process, also grow “babies.” These are basically clones of the first scoby that you used to start your adventure of kombucha brewing.
The good thing about these scobys is that they go into a dormant state when they are not in use. While kombucha is being brewed, nutrients and oxygen are fed to the bacteria and yeast that lives in the scoby. When the tea is removed, these microorganisms stop thriving on the nutrients and will remain dormant, often called “asleep.”
To properly care for your scoby and ensure the balance between the different types of microorganisms stays at the right level, you should ensure you maintain an appropriate pH level. Another important part of caring for a scoby is to ensure you feed it with the right nutrients to ensure the yeast and bacteria microorganisms can survive.
Best Kombucha Scoby (2020 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Kombucha Scoby
A scoby is one of the most important parts of kombucha, but with hundreds of different choices on the market, people are not sure which ones they should buy. We have taken a look at many different scobys currently available and found the best kombucha scoby of 2020, as well as some options that should rather be avoided.