When you envision the best top loading water dispenser, you might imagine the water cooler talk that is well-known in office culture. But, water dispensers, both top load and bottom loading types, are making their way into kitchens for home use as well. We’ve researched and discovered ten top-rated top load water dispensers, as well as the two worst to avoid.
Reviews of the 10 Best Top Loading Water Dispenser, Plus the 2 Worst to Avoid
1. Avalon A10-TL Top Loading Water Cooler Dispenser Review
With 3 different styles, 3 temperatures, and a child safe design this is the best top loading water dispenser of 2020. The height makes it exceptionally easy to load even if you are shorter than most people. The best Avalon top load water dispenser is an excellent fit for any home or office.
The stainless steel style easily wipes clean. The best feature of Avalon A10-TL Top Loading Water Cooler Dispenser is the time-saving aspect. You will save yourself a ton of time throughout your day or week. With a temperature controlled design, you can get piping hot water or crisp and cold water in seconds.
For people who prefer to use a water dispenser for cooking you can also use the room temperature option. If you need an easy to use, and versatile model, this Avalon water dispenser is the top option available.
2. Primo Stainless Steel 3 Spout Top Load Hot, Cold, and Cool Water Cooler Dispenser Review
This model is the best Primo top load water dispenser available and is a top choice for top loading options. This Primo water dispenser has spouts for crisp and cold water, hot water, and room temperature water. These options make it great for the home. Many people use the room temperature spout for cooking.
The best feature of the Primo stainless steel 3 spout top load water dispenser is its design. The design has put the spouts slightly lower than most other models. This design allows children to grab their glass of water. But, the child safety lock ensures that you don’t have to worry about burns.
Because of its excellent design, and spill-proof bottle holder makes it the best top loading water for home use. The steel drip tray and surface is easy to clean as a bonus.
3. Avalon Premium Hot Cold Top Loading Countertop Water Cooler Dispenser with Child Safety Lock Review
Without a doubt, this water cooler is a great countertop option. Many people feel that they have to avoid countertop water dispensers because they want a top loader and most countertop options are botteless. But, Avalon has the solution.
Avalon Premium Hot Cold Top Loading Countertop Water Cooler Dispenser uses a very short and slim design, so the 1, 3, or 5-gallon bottles fit nicely. There are a lot of options from Avalon, but this is a favorite because of the ease with loading it. Since it’s not a tall floor model, you can quickly flip a water bottle over onto this unit.
When you’re looking for something to sit on your counter or a table, choose this Avalon water dispenser. It’s a great top loading option for the home or office. But, it’s the best option if you don’t have a lot of space.
4. Brio Essential Series Top Load Hot, Cold and Room Temperature Water Dispenser Review
Brio is an excellent brand for water appliances, and this unit holds up to the reputation. This model is the Best Brio top load water dispenser because of its style. Too often when a manufacturer tries to make things more convenient, they end up making it more difficult.
But, the Brio Essential Series top loading water dispenser is genuinely convenient. The controls are straightforward. The lights indicate when the compressor is on to cool the water. But, the LED lights also show when the water is heating.
Overall this is a great choice for offices. If everyone is rushing to the water dispenser to grab a cup of hot tea or instant coffee in the morning, you can see if the hot water is ready. Instead of walking across the office, glance over and wait for the LED to flip off again.
5. Giantex Top Loading Water Cooler Dispenser Review
Many people want top loading water dispensers to save their initial purchase cost. This model is both inexpensive and effective. The only downside is that the security lock is not that difficult for children to manage. Making this choice not great for your home.
People in offices that get dirty quickly, or that go through a lot of water in a day should consider this option. The all-white exterior wipes clean in seconds because of the smooth surface. Giantex Top Loading Water Cooler Dispenser doesn’t grab onto a lot of dirt, or fingerprints.
The design also focuses on durability. Rather than sitting flush with the floor, it has tiny legs. These legs make it easy to clean under, rather than scooting the dispenser one way and then another. People don’t realize the damage they do when they slide a tall and heavy water dispenser.
6. Brio CL520 Commercial Grade Hot and Cold Top Load Water Dispenser Cooler Review
The Brio CL520 comes from Brio’s Essential series and will last for years. Although it doesn’t have every feature that you could ever want, it uses a simple design to provide what you need. Cold and hot drinking water from a top loading water bottle.
The best features of the Brio CL520 are that it’s super quiet and durable. The noise of a water cooler compressor kicking on can startle many people. You don’t want your team’s focus to break because of a compressor. You also don’t hear an annoying whirring coming from the kitchen late at night.
The durability is outstanding in this model. The entire cabinet is ABS plastic. This unit can withstand physical impacts and chemicals without damage. If you’re looking for something to last for years, choose this water dispenser.
7. Primo Countertop Porcelain Ceramic Crock Water Dispenser Review
Whether you are using 3 or 5-gallon water bottles, you can add this countertop water dispenser to our home or office. Many people live in areas without clean drinking water. They would not want to cook with undrinkable water either. These crock-style water dispensers are finding their way into many homes.
The classic white with black stripes design makes it fit into any setting. While the wooden stand helps Primo Countertop Porcelain Ceramic Crock Water Dispenser fit comfortably onto the counter without the need to be near the edge.
Primo is well-known for their water dispensers. But, they encourage people to fill up at the Primo owned water bottle refill stations. They guarantee that any water you get from their stations is high-quality. Primo uses reverse osmosis and multi-stage filtration to get the highest quality of drinking water possible.
8. Brio CL500 Commercial Grade Hot and Cold Top Loading Water Dispenser Review
Brio is shocking everyone by producing the Best top loading water dispenser for office use. Their outstanding Essential Series is useful and sleek. The water cooler dispenser provides both hot and cold water. The hot water spout has a child-safety lock that only requires one hand to use.
The Brio models, especially the CL500 stand out with a stainless steel reservoir tank. This stainless steel interior design means that the compressor runs less frequently. The Brio CL500 is very energy efficient. If you work in an office and need to keep the electric bill down, this model is an excellent choice.
What makes this Brio option a great water dispenser for office use is the silence. The compressor is small, but mighty and hardly makes a sound. There’s nothing like a running compressor, or mystery buzz, to distract a team of coworkers. You don’t have to worry about distraction with this model.
9. Whirlpool Commercial Water Cooler Dispenser Review
There are many things to love about this simply designed Whirlpool water dispenser. Whirlpool is a household name for appliances, and this model lives up to the hype. Whirlpool Commercial Water Cooler Dispenser can handle about 300 pounds of top weight. But the design ensures that it can withstand years of bottles slamming onto the top loading unit.
Whirlpool stands out from the rest with their proprietary cooling system. This cooling system uses technology that makes the water about 9 degrees cooler than other water dispensers. But, it also keeps the interior of the unit cool, extending its life by years.
It’s also a very energy efficient model using a reserve system. This reserve system allows the Whirlpool water dispenser to run with less frequent use of the compressor. There are some options available that use a simple design with such effectiveness.
10. Farberware FW29919 Freestanding Hot and Cold Water cooler Dispenser Review
Perfect for a dorm room, home office, or private office this model is so much more than just a water dispenser. Farberware FW29919 Freestanding Hot and Cold Water Cooler Dispenser has both hot and cold water options. It can hold both 3 or 5-gallon water jugs and doesn’t take up much space.
But, the feature that has many people choosing this option is the bottom storage cabinet. Although the storage area isn’t cool, it serves a great purpose for storage. Hideaway snacks, sodas, or store cups for the water cooler with this storage cabinet.
Farberware also breaks the mold with their size. This unit is much more compact than other freestanding water cooler designs. This water cooler is both shorter and slimmer than other options. It stands at about waist high making it very easy to reload heavy water bottles.
Avoid – Lago Top Load Hot, Cold, and Room Temperature Mini Black Water Cooler Dispenser Review
Lago as a brand usually doesn’t have a problem with their small appliances. However, this Lago top load hot, cold and room temperature mini black water cooler dispenser is the worst. That’s right; this is the worst top loading water cooler on the market.
The first problem is the noise. There are 2 pins and the compressor mount that lead to excessive, metal-on-metal rattling. The compressor kicks on for about 5-minutes every 20 or 30 minutes. You will listen to this compressor for at least 10 minutes an hour.
The second problem is that the water flow is very slow. You will need to learn to drink water in smaller increments with this dispenser.
Avoid – Lago Top Load Hot, and Cold Water Cooler Dispenser Review
Lago is at it again with another subpar water dispenser. Avoid the Lago Top Load Hot and Cold Water Cooler Dispenser at all costs. It has significant leaking problems after only a few weeks of use. Most top-loading water dispensers reinforce the area where the water jug will sit.
These water dispensers not only have to support the water bottle continually but withstand the slamming force when people change the water bottle. If you’re looking for a top loading water dispenser that will last for years, keep looking. The area that holds up the water bottle is not reinforced and cracks very quickly.
Because the top portion cannot withstand the force of someone changing the bottle, you can expect leaks in short order. The bonus to this problem is that the warranty only covers manufacturer defects. The manufacturer will not process a claim for a crack that resulted from changing the bottles.
2020 Buyers Guide to the Best Top Loading Water Dispenser
You don’t just need the best top loading water dispenser of 2020. You need to know how to find the water dispenser that works best for you. If you’re only interested in top-loading models, your hunt just got easier. Consider the size, energy efficiency and location of your water dispenser before you buy.
3 Main Points to Consider
- Size: Water dispensers do come in all sizes. Although many people quickly think of the all-white, approximately 4 ½ feet tall water cooler there are many choices. Mini-coolers or mini water dispensers are becoming more popular in offices, dorm rooms, and the kitchen. Many people are finding themselves less likely to give up valuable floor space to a water cooler. Instead, they are looking for options that can sit on a table or even on the counter. If you don’t have much space, you should consider a countertop water dispenser. Many of these options will hold 1, 3 or 5-gallon water bottles. But, if you have about 1″x2″ of floor space, you get away with a mini water dispenser or even a full-sized option. The only other concern to consider with size is the ease of changing the water bottles. Some people have an easier time changing water bottles that are stationary, full-size water dispensers. The size and bottom weight give the confidence that the unit won’t tip over during a water bottle change.
- Energy Efficiency: There are two aspects at play here. First you want to control your electric bill, and second, you want to control the noise level. An energy efficient model will have both a smaller compressor, and it will run the compressor less often. Smaller compressors use less electricity than larger options. But, it doesn’t help if your unit has a small compressor that runs all the time. You might not get the coldest water from a dispenser that has a smaller compressor which runs less frequently you’ll appreciate the other benefits. The noise level on energy efficient water dispensers is barely noticeable. If you get a unit that is too large, you will hear almost constant rattling. You should occasionally hear the compressor kick on, but you shouldn’t hear it through its entire cooling cycle.
- Location: Partly to do with size, but mostly focused on convenience, you must consider where you want the water dispenser to sit within your home or office. You don’t want to purchase the perfect water dispenser only for it to not fit in your ideal spot. Although water dispensers are typically a standard size, you can never be sure. Measure the space where you ideally want to have your water dispenser. You may find that the best water dispenser for you is a countertop or a mini water dispenser option. Many countertop options will set comfortably underneath cabinets. But, the drawback is that you might have restrictions on how much water the dispenser can hold at a time.
What’s the advantage of a top load water cooler vs a bottleless loading water dispenser?
The best advantage of a top loading water cooler is that the simple design helps extend the life of the unit. Top loading water coolers let gravity do all the work which means minimal electrical components.
As part of the design of many water coolers, any top loading water cooler will use a compressor to chill the water before dispensing. However, some top loading water dispensers don’t use the cool function. This means that they have no electrical components and will last until the plastic, or ceramic beings to deteriorate.
There is particular care taken into the design of these units. Because 5-gallon water bottles are difficult to handle, a top load water cooler will have more structural integrity. This structure design caters to the impact or force of a water jug slamming onto the device.
Best Top Loading Water Dispenser (2020 Buyers Guide) ✅:
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Top Loading Water Dispenser
If you’re looking for the best top loading water dispenser of 2020, you must consider which options are most well-rounded. You want useful features, but you also need efficiency and longevity. This purchase should be an investment for your home or office that will last for years.