Planning to brew your own beer at home? Then you should know that there is specific equipment that you will need to perfect your craft. The best wort chiller is an essential tool that can ensure that you can brew top-quality beer at home, without having to worry about issues like poor cooling features, or even contamination. With so many wort chiller variations and options on the market to choose from, you might feel overwhelmed before you even begin. We’ve researched and discovered the eight top-rated wort chiller of 2020, as well as one to avoid.
Reviews of the 8 Best Wort Chiller, Plus 1 to Avoid
1. NY Brew Supply Deluxe Counterflow Wort Chiller with Copper Tubing Review
The very first option on our list is the NY Brew Supply Deluxe Counterflow Wort Chiller with Copper Tubing. After compared many different options that we found to be available at the moment, we came to the conclusion that this one is most certainly the best wort chiller of 2020.
The NY Brew Supply Deluxe Counterflow Wort Chiller features copper tubing, which means it will cool down that hot batch of boiling wort much faster than some of the alternative options you will be able to find on the market. While the price of this option is a little higher than some competing products, it is important to consider the fact that the product features high-quality design and the materials have been specially selected to ensure faster cooling and a more convenient overall experience.
2. Super Efficient Stainless Steel Wort Chiller by NY Brew Supply Review
Another great option by the NY Brew Supply brand would be the Super Efficient Stainless Steel Wort Chiller. This really is the best stainless steel immersion chiller that you are going to find, especially considering the fact that this is also one of the more affordable options that we found to be available.
The quality of the product is superb compared to some of the alternative stainless steel options on the market and, since this is an immersion wort chiller, it also means a much faster cooling time for your boiling wort than some of the other options that you may find at a similar price tag.
The product features a 50-inch stainless steel interface and has been constructed to prevent leaks, while also ensuring that wort can be cooled down evenly and more efficiently.
3. Wort Chiller by Coldbreak Brewing Equipment Review
Planning to brew up a five-gallon batch of beer, then you should definitely be taking a look at the Coldbreak Brewing Equipment Wort Chiller. This is an immersion wort cooler, which means it was designed to cool wort quickly and evenly for a better experience and to ultimately ensure that you can produce a batch of beer that tastes great.
In addition to being the best wort chiller for the 5-gallon batch, the Coldbreak Brewing Equipment Wort Chiller is also an extremely affordable option, especially considering the fact that the product primarily takes advantage of the cooling effects of quality copper materials. The product features a four-inch vinyl tubing system, along with a standard fitment attachment that is made from heavy-duty materials. The tubing system measures 12.5 inches in total.
The Northern Brewer Stainless Steel Counterflow Wort Chiller is excellent for those who are looking to buy a product that can provide them with a higher quality experience as compared to some of the other options that are currently available on the market.
The quality and features, along with the choice of materials, used in this wort cooler definitely makes up for the somewhat higher price, compared to other options that you are presented when you want to brew some beer. The product features an 18-inch contact area, and this is a counterflow type wort chiller, which provides a convenient way of chilling wort without compromise.
The design ensures a lower risk of leaks and also helps to reduce the risk of contamination in your wort. A threaded fitting is attached that makes it very easy to attach your garden house, and the high-grade stainless steel material also reduces the risk of rust and other complications that could interfere with your ability to produce your own beer.
The Super Efficient Counterflow Wort Chiller by the NY Brew Supply brand offers a convenient solution to cooling down a boiling batch of wort without having to wreck your budget or dig too deep into your own wallet. The product is available for under $100 and comes with everything that you need to cool down your boiling wort, including a high-quality design that eliminates the risk of issues like leaks and contamination, making this a safer option as well compared to some of the other more affordable counterflow wort chillers that you will find available on the market today.
The NY Brew Supply Super Efficient Counterflow Wort Chiller comes with a 25-inch interface to ensure you can brew up a batch of beer that will serve more than just yourself as well. The materials used in the product also ensures that it will last for a more significant amount of time, and can be used to brew up multiple batches without the need to replace the wort chiller in between these batches.
6. Copperhead Immersion Wort Chiller for Homebrew Beer Brewing by Northern Brewer Review
Those looking for the best copper immersion chiller that is currently available on the market should take a closer look at the Northern Brewer Copperhead Immersion Wort Chiller. This is the perfect option or brewing your own beer at home, and it is made with top-quality materials to ensure that it lasts for a long time, and does not put you at risk of brewing up a batch of contaminated beer.
The Northern Brewer Copperhead Immersion Wort Chiller is extremely easy to use and comes with full instructions that will help you get started if you are still new to the process of using a wort cooler in the process of brewing beer at home.
This product is one of the more affordable options on the market that still gives you a high-quality option that can be used to brew beer without having to worry about your wort leaking out of the product. It is an immersion wort chiller, which, in turn, ensures that your wort will cool down and reach an optimal temperature to ensure yeast can start to take effect faster.
The product comes with an included garden hose fitting and features vinyl tubing for better performance and improved durability. Furthermore, the immersion wort cooler measures 16 inches in length and nine inches in width and comes with an appropriate 25-foot coil.
7. HFS Homebrew Wort Chiller Review
The HFS Homebrew Wort Chiller is quite a unique product and also an excellent option for anyone who wants to start brewing beer at their home. The product is affordable and features a 2.9-inch/30 plate system, along with the appropriate fittings pre-included to help save you money and ensure you are ready to start cooling down your wort as soon as you have unpacked the product. This is also the best wort chiller for 10-gallon batches that you are going to find, especially considering the fact that the HFS Homebrew Wort Chiller is currently available for under $80. The product is also available in different options to ensure it can suit your specific requirements in terms of cooling wort and preparing your own beer.
Last on our list is the JockeyBox.com 25 Foot Stainless Steel Immersion Wort Chiller. The product features a no-leak fitting system and comes with multiple accessories to help you brew beer with no complications during the process of chilling the wort that needs to be boiled during the brewing procedure. The product is very affordable and can be picked up for under $50, yet still offers you with a high-quality wort chiller that will give you the opportunity to brew the beer that tastes really great. The JockeyBox.com 25 Foot Stainless Steel Immersion Wort Chiller features a 25-inch stainless steel coil, along with a hose adapter and the appropriate tubing for full operation.
Avoid – HomeBrewStuff Copper Immersion Wort Chiller Review
We’ve shared eight of the best options on the market in terms of buying a wort chiller, so now we want to take a quick look at the worst wort chiller on the market. After we did some research, we found that the HomeBrewStuff Copper Immersion Wort Chiller was not worth it. While this is definitely one of the more affordable options that you are going to find on the market, it does not offer the quality of materials that you need to ensure that your brew of beer would stand out and satisfy your own taste buds, or that of your friends.
The HomeBrewStuff Copper Immersion Wort Chiller comes with two hoses, and each measures 12 inches, as well as a faucet adapter and the appropriate fittings that are needed to operate the product and cool down the boiling wort. The product primarily utilizes copper but seems to be prone to leaks. If you do decide to go with this one because of a smaller budget, be sure to be wary of how you operate it in order to avoid contamination.
2020 Buyers Guide to the Best Wort Chiller:
When you set out to buy a wort chiller, it is very important not to just opt for a random one because you might be in a hurry to start brewing some beer at home.
There are many different options on the market, and if you do not analyze each of these options properly, you might end up buying a wort chiller that is poorly made, leaks, and will not offer you the performance, quality, and effectiveness in cooling down that boiling wort that you are looking for. This, in turn, may yield the beer that does not taste as it should.
Instead, consider the factors we discuss below to make sure the wort chiller you buy is perfect for brewing your own beer.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Type Of Wort Chiller: First, consider the type of wort chiller that you want to buy. There are different types of these products on the market, and each type comes with its own set of pros and cons. You need to consider buying the specific wort chiller that is right for your project, as well as the one that would give you the level of cooling and quality that you need to create the perfect batch of beer. Immersion wort chillers are very popular at the moment and also very easy to use. Once the wort is boiling thoroughly, the immersion wort chiller is placed into the wort in order to cool it down efficiently. Another option that is also popular among people who want to brew their own beer at home is a counterflow wort chiller. With the counterflow option, you use less water as compared to the immersion wort cooler, and you spend less time cooling down that boiling wort to get it to the right temperature. With this one, water flows in the opposite direction to the wort.
- Materials And Quality: While the type of wort chiller is important, you also need to take into account the overall quality of the particular product that you are interested in buying and also consider the type of materials that the product is made of. The quality has a significant impact on how well the wort cooler will be able to reduce the temperature of the boiling wort, and the materials used have just as much of an impact. Furthermore, if you do not consider the quality of the product, you may end up with a wort chiller that will easily start to leak, making the product less effective in cooling down the boiling wort, and possibly causing your wort to become reduced in volume as some of the liquid will leak out of the tubes. Copper is an especially popular option in terms of choosing the material type, especially for decor and designs such as a copper sink, as it is known to conduct the colder temperatures better, but some people also tend to opt for stainless steel options, as they may provide a longer lifespan and a more durable operation.
- Price: Another factor that you should take into account when you want to buy your own wort chiller to help cool down your boiling wort faster is the price of the product. There are quite a large variety of these products on the market, and they tend to vary significantly in price. It is important that you do not immediately opt for the cheapest wort chiller that you are able to find available on the market, even if you are working on a tight budget. These options can put you at risk of contamination and especially leaks. At the same time, there is no need to pay too much for a wort cooler. There are many options out there that are reasonably priced, but also provide you with top-quality design features and an ideal material selection to ensure you can effectively cool down your boiling wort without any potential complications that could impair the taste of your beer. In addition to looking at the prices of the various options that you can choose from, also consider your own budget – ask yourself how much you can really spend on a wort chiller, as other equipment also needs to be purchased if you want to brew your own batches of beer.
What is a Wort Chiller?
A wort chiller is a vital part of the process required to brew beer at home and is a better alternative option to an ice bath, which some people do tend to opt for in their process. When you decide to brew a batch of beer at home, you will need to cool down the wort when it is boiling. The cool-down process needs to happen in a relatively short period of time.
This part of the process is very important, as it allows the wort to reach a temperature that is more ideal for the pitching of the yeast that is found inside the content that is being brewed.
An ice bath tends to take some time for the brew to reach the ideal temperature, and it is well known that a specialized wort chiller is far more effective in allowing the wort to cool down faster and reach a temperature that will allow you to continue toward the next step of beer brewing.
Best Wort Chiller Reviews (2020 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Buying the Best Wort Chiller:
Setting up your own home brewing station can save you a lot of money on beer, but there are a lot of issues that people often face when they decide to start making their own batches of beer. One of the most important parts of the process would be the wort chiller that you decide to use, as opting for the wrong one can have a drastic effect on the quality and taste of your homebrewed beer batch.
Instead of opting for a random one, make sure that you purchase the best wort chiller of 2020, as this means a reduced chance of contamination, better cooling of the beer after boiling, and, of course, a freshly brewed batch of beer that everyone will love.