Yerba mate is a nutrient-rich tea with proven health benefits. As it has gained popularity, so has the quest for the best yerba mate gourd; the cups used to consume mate tea. We’ve researched and discovered the eight top-rated best yerba mate gourds of 2018, as well as the two worst to avoid.
Reviews of the 8 Best Yerba Mate Gourd, Plus the 2 Worst to Avoid
1. Leather and Glass Mate Set Including Straw Review
This mate gourd makes a bold statement with its combination of glass and leather. The gourd this is shrouded in genuine black leather, which combined with the shape and the glistening metallic bombilla gives it a stylish, edgy appearance. It is almost as if this gourd is more of a fashion statement.
The shape of the Leather and Glass Mate Set Including Straw is thought to be optimal for retaining flavors and for the most extended possible duration of time. Meanwhile, the glass body helps the tea retain its authentic flavor and color, just by not reacting to it as organic materials would.
However, that is not all there is to the leather. In fact, it serves a vital practical purpose. In addition to being a protective covering for the glass, it also acts as a thermal barrier. Not only does it help the tea retain its temperature for longer but also makes it easier for you to hold the cup even when it is piping hot.
Overall, this is great for somebody looking for practicality and aesthetic character.
2. Silicone Mate Gourd with Bombilla by Sam and Co Review
Silicon mate gourds are relatively new on the market. The Leather and Glass Mate Set Including Straw embodies the amalgamation of tradition and modernity, by its use of contemporary materials. As such, this gourd shall be well suited for those who belong to the forward-looking new generation of yerba mate lovers.
In addition to giving its contemporary relevance, the silicon also acts as a thermal and physical buffer. It ensures that your mate tea stays warm, while also making it easier for you to hold the cup, thanks to its insulating capabilities.
Moreover, the silicon behaves as an inert container as well, making sure that it does not alter the taste or odor of your tea. However, best of all is the fact that it is a flexible polymer, which means that it is unbreakable.
This gourd requires very little maintenance and is easy to use in homes, offices, or even during travel, indeed making the best yerba mate gourd of 2018 for the modern yerba mate enthusiast.
3. Argentina Gourd Bombilla and Traditional Yerba Mate Tea Value Set by Healthy Dynamics Solutions Review
What sets this gourd apart is not just that its adherence to tradition but also that it comes with yerba mate tea straight from tea farms in South America. This deal features a traditional Argentinian gourd, finished in the age-old art of fire finishing.
Each gourd is handcrafted and manually finished, making every gourd unique. You even get a traditional metallic bombilla to go with that. If you prefer the authentic yerba mate experience, look no further.
The experience is further heightened thanks to the inclusion of 8-12 ounces of local yerba mate tea in the package. Unsmoked and free of any stems, dust or impurities, this tea will uphold yerba mate’s reputation for being a nutrient-rich pick-me-up packed with antioxidants vitamins and mineral.
You can be sure of that because the Argentina Gourd Bombilla and Traditional Yerba Mate Tea Value Set by Healthy Dynamics Solutions is certified as organic, having been grown on sustainable family farms in line with principles of Fair Trade. This gourd and yerba mate combo will transport you to its Argentinean roots.
4. Ceramic Mate Gourd with Side Hole for Mate Straw by WJC Pottery Review
Usability and practicality are what make this the best ceramic yerba mate gourd on the list. It comes in a ceramic body that that is ergonomic, durable and easy to clean. With a height of approximately 3.5 inches and width of 3 inches combined with the simple oblong shape, it is not only comfortable to hold but also ideal for letting the Yerba Mate steep much like that in a traditional gourd.
The double glazing on the ceramic acts as a protective layer and gives it a glossy finish, which adds to the aesthetic appeal. Meanwhile, the 5.5-inch metallic bombilla that comes with it has a detachable end. These factors combine to make sure that cleaning will be a breeze for you. It is even dishwasher safe!
Not only that, but the Ceramic Mate Gourd with Side Hole for Mate Straw by WJC Pottery also comes with a side hole to hold the bombilla in place. This small but ingenious modification does wonders for practicality. It makes it convenient for you to move the gourd around with the bombilla uncontrollably rolling on its rim. It also minimizes any chances of the damage from the metallic bombilla colliding with the ceramic gourd.
If you prefer to own a yerba mate gourd that is practical and easy to maintain, do seriously consider this one.
5. Taragui Yerba Mate Bombilla Glass and Leather Gourd Review
Taragui offers a brilliant combination of Yerba Mate, combined with a gourd and bombilla. The Yerba Mate is stem-free and loaded with minerals and vitamins, along with 196 active compounds.
The Taragui Yerba Mate Bombilla Glass and Leather Gourd poses an array of health benefits such as stimulation of the nervous system, boosts in energy levels, controlling appetite and the best of all, weight loss. It is seen by many as a healthy coffee alternative. At the same time, it contains less caffeine than green tea, but with more antioxidants so rest assured that the regenerative capabilities do not come at a price.
Taragui also includes a glass gourd and a metallic spoon-style bombilla to go with that. The glass bombilla is sheathed in red leather with the help of an aluminum strip at the rim. The aluminum protects the glass gourd from damage when in contact with the bombilla.
Meanwhile, the leather offers thermal and physical protection while also giving the gourd a rather flamboyant appearance. The spoon style bombilla, on the other hand, is supposed to make it easier to steep the Yerba Mate.
It is an excellent package deal for people who are new to Yerba Mate and are looking for a decent starting point.
6. Extra Large Yerba Mate Silicone Gourd and Bombilla Combo by Yerba Supply Review
Silicone Yerba Mate gourds are good. Extra-large silicon yerba mate gourds are even better. If you prefer to chug generous amounts of yerba mate tea at any given moment, the Extra Large Yerba Mate Silicone Gourd and Bombilla Combo by Yerba Supply will probably be the best yerba mate gourd of 2018 in your eyes.
With one whole extra inch of height, this gourd can house a whopping 14 ounces of tea instead of the usual. That is more than double what you get on most other gourds. So naturally, it is much better suited for relaxing evening where you can calmly enjoy your yerba mate, rather than for having a couple of sips on the go.
At the same time, the choice of silicon as the material makes the product more user-friendly. It makes it easier to clean, maintain and interact with. However, the part that stands out for us is that this silicon is entirely free of BPA, which is widely understood to be carcinogenic. Now you have nothing to worry about since this product is safe.
7. Authentic Mate Gourd and Bombilla by El Matero Review
If you place cultural authenticity above all else, this is the best wooden yerba mate gourd for you. This yerba mate gourd does not just appear traditional, but is also made traditionally and is supposed to be used conventionally.
This wooden gourd is handcrafted and the “splashed” with fire to achieve a rustic, uniquely patterned outer skin. Such is the focus on maintaining a standard that all these gourds are hand-picked for their size and shape. Even the bombilla is made traditionally. It is prepared using nickel-plated brass bombilla with native ornamental etchings.
And if you thought the authenticity ends there, you are in for a surprise. The homage to tradition comes full circle when even you, the user, is meant to interact with it as the original yerba mate drinkers did.
The Authentic Mate Gourd and Bombilla by El Matero requires a curing process before it can be used. This process includes filling it with yerba mate and the water for about 24 hours before you the insides are scraped for debris and washed.
This yerba mate gourd epitomizes the respect for tradition and will be well-suited for users who intend to do the same.
8. Yerba Mate Silicone Gourd and Bombilla Combo by Yerba Supply Review
This is yet another silicon-based entry that made it to our list. It is the smaller sized yerba Mate gourd by Yerba Supply. However, do not fret about the smaller size, as what is loose in size, it gains in usability.
Yerba Supply’s Yerba Mate gourds are made out of silicon for an excellent reason. It helps to keep the tea warm for longer. Just by being a polymer, it also absorbs heat to make it easier for you to handle the gourd. At the same time, the silicon is flexible enough that the entire gourd can be turned inside out. So when it comes to ease of cleaning, these gourds are unmatched.
The material is BPA free and safe for usage. The Yerba Mate Silicone Gourd and Bombilla Combo by Yerba Supply is also molded such that it contains a slot for the metal bombilla to be clipped into, making maneuverability easier. Best of all; gourds by Yerba Supply come in an assortment of different colors.
If you want your gourd to be low-maintenance and follow a particular color scheme, you should look further into gourds by Yerba Supply.
Avoid – Hand Made Yerba Mate Gourd and Bamboo Bombilla Straw by Tealyra Review
The Hand Made Yerba Mate Gourd and Bamboo Bombilla Straw by Tealyra too is made with tradition in mind. However, it appears that it takes that idea to an almost idealistic level in some areas, while completely neglecting others.
It boasts 100% hand-craftsmanship, which does give the gourd a certain richness and depth of character. But at the same time, not much emphasis is given to the finishing of the product, which in turn compromises on the durability.
Furthermore, the design of the gourd is not user-friendly. The opening is too small for it to be adequately cleaned, while the bamboo bombilla is challenging to clean. And the choice of material for the bombilla gives it the same problem.
Considering these problems, having to pay a higher price in the name of authenticity can be a hard one to swallow. Concerning the value for money, this is perhaps the worst yerba mate gourd on the market.
Avoid – Gaucho Market Mate 2 Colors Handmade Set Made in Argentina Review
While it is admirable to make cultural objects like gourds in a traditionally sensitive way, they still need to adhere to modern standards of quality control. The latter part seems to be missing in this particular product.
Perhaps that is the reason for its reputation of having a significantly short lifespan. In some cases, the gourd even turned out to be moldy or damaged at the time of unpacking. Meanwhile, leaks are familiar with this particular gourd.
Despite being hand-made and priced almost the same as other gourds on the market, the Gaucho Market Mate 2 Colors Handmade Set Made in Argentina comes with a generic finish which gives it a pleasant feel overall. While it’s the inclusion of a yerba spoon helps a little, the lack of overall built quality makes it an undesirable option for day-to-day usage.
Unless time is not an issue in maintaining it, it is perhaps best to avoid this Yerba Mate Gourd.
2018 Buyers Guide to the Best Yerba Mate Gourd
Even though there are various factors at play when buying a Yerba Mate gourd, there are some things one should always be mindful of such as why exactly you are purchasing a Yerba Mate gourd, what materials you like, if there is a particular manufacturer you prefer.
3 Major Points for Consideration
- Beginner or Veteran: Whether you are a beginner at Yerba Mate or are a seasoned veteran with a preexisting assortment of Yerba Mate gourds lying on your kitchen rack will significantly affect which gourd is best for you. The reason this is important is that the experience of drinking Yerba Mate has a lot to do with the gourd. The right gourd can heighten the experience of this magical drink manifold. However, at the same, such gourds also require a lot of care in the form of curing and can go rancid if neglected. So in that sense, Yerba Mate is an acquired taste that has a learning curve to it. If you are starting out, it is perhaps best to go with a gourd that requires little to no extra effort concerning maintenance. Better yet, find a gourd that you can learn the way of Yerba Mate on so that it may a stepping stone for you into this culture.
- Material: The choice of material will affect the interaction you have with the Yerba Mate gourd, day in and day out. Going for a gourd made in contemporary materials like glass or silicon will create significant ease for you. It will enable you to clean and maintain the gourd conveniently. It will also allow you to have a lot of control over the aesthetics of the gourd. There are plenty of colors available on the market. However, regarding taste and richness, they might leave you feeling incomplete. On the other hand, going with a traditional calabash or wooden gourd may require you to learn the different techniques of curing. These techniques may affect the taste of the Yerba Mate. However, it will allow you to have a more authentic Yerba Mate experience. It is merely a matter of preference. Even the best metal Yerba Mate gourd on the market may not work for you. The reason might be the material does not feel right. Be sure to give yourself time to understand where you want to strike that balance.
- Size: Traditionally, there is variation in the dimensions of Yerba Mate gourds. Not all products on the market adhere to conventional norms. As such, you get Yerba Mate gourds in shapes and size these days, and that is a good thing. Size has a very practical implication on your experience of consuming Yerba Mate. Simply put, it should be decided based on however much Yerba Mate you prefer to drink at a time. It is common for people to want to consume it in smaller amounts. However, there is a significant demographic out there that sees drinking Yerba Mate as an occasional and festive practice. Or maybe they prefer not to refill their brew with hot water again and again. If you are one of those people, who are satisfied only when you have your Yerba Mate in a generous amount. It would be wise to go for large-sized options such as those offered by Yerba Supply. However, beware that a large gourd might be challenging to hold.
How to clean your mate gourd?
Cleaning your Yerba Mate gourd is rather a straightforward process. Provided that you steer clear of some of the standard errors people tend to make.
First of all, empty your gourd out entirely by removing all the yerba from it. If you have a wooden gourd, you may have to scrape it out. Rinse it in hot water, once you have removed as much of the tea as you can physically rinse it in hot water. It will flush out the smaller debris that is otherwise unreachable.
After you have thoroughly cleaned the insides of the gourd, it is time to dry it out. It is best to use a paper towel or an absorbent material to dab the insides. For wooden gourds, use a something elongated to press the towels in, to be sure.
Let your gourd sits in a cool, dry aerated place for about 24 hours at least, before using it again. Remember never to dry the gourd upside down. It will create a hot damp environment inside, which is ideal for mold.
How to Prepare Yerba Mate Like an Argentine (Video):
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Yerba Mate Gourd
In conclusion, Yerba Mate has excellent health benefits as well as rich cultural ideas attached to it. How much you enjoy your yerba mate relies heavily on the kind you decide for yourself. With this guide, you will find the best yerba mate gourd of 2018 to choose from. Additionally, we also give you a sense of how enriching the practice of drinking yerba mate can be for you.