If you get your household water from a well, chances are high that it contains a copious amount of iron. This is not exactly the good news you have been hoping for as iron can change the taste and smell of water, leaving hideous reddish stains on everything it touches. It can also damage water treatment equipment and household appliances.
The good news is that, just like you, people are trying to get rid of the heavy metal, and it is possible with the best iron removal systems for well water in 2020.
What is the best iron removal system for well water to buy in 2020? The Iron Pro 2 Combination Iron Filter is designed with fine mesh resin to remove hard water and iron. The AFWFilters’ product is designed by experts who have been in the field for over 35 years. It requires little maintenance and is easy to install.
We’ve researched and discovered the 9 top-rated iron removal systems for well water as well as the top iron removal system to avoid.
Reviews of the 9 Best Iron Removal System for Well Water, Plus 1 to Avoid
1. Iron Pro 2 Combination Water Softener Iron Filter Review
One of the leading brands under Fleck water softeners is the Iron Pro 2. The most striking feature of this water softener is its dual function acting as both a water softener and iron filter with its 16 GGPM special mesh resin. The filter also removes manganese, which is the slimy black substance often left behind by contaminated water.
With a meter-based regeneration, this simply means that the system only regenerates when it has to. If the water needs increase, then the system regenerates more to keep up. Further, it is fitted with a digital meter that comprises a touchpad, LCD screen, and a timer clock.
The unit’s water tank is made of non-reactive fiberglass material while the internal and external compartments are coated with a non-corrosive material.
To watch the Iron Pro 2 Combination Water Softener Iron Filter Review on YouTube, click here.
- 16 GPM special mesh resin
- DIY installation instructions
- Fleck control head for better valve control with valve warranty
- 10 year warranty 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- Meter based regeneration
- Poor customer support
- Does not remove all ferric iron
2. AFWFilters AIS10-25SXT AFW Iron Remover Review
The AFWFilters AIS10-25SXT is a whole house oxidizing water filter that does not use chemicals for iron and sulfur removal. How does that work? It has a unique air injection system, which utilizes a specialized control head to create an air pocket at the top of the tank that oxidizes contaminants for seamless removal.
It is hard not to notice the automatic backwashing digital controller that displays the relevant information boldly for easy reading. The water filter has a KDF-85 whose main role is to get rid of sulphur and manganese.
Further, the AFWFilters AIS10-25SXT has a stainless steel bypass with 1″ connection to help with easy connection to your existing plumbing. The bypass valve on the unit allows the entire system to be bypassed without having to shut off the main water supply. This iron removal system has a grain capacity regulated by Fleck SXT for the efficient removal of both manganese and sulphur.
It is easy to install and comes with AFW filters for replacement, a complimentary drinking water bottle and a lubricant packet.
To watch the AFWFilters AIS10-25SXT AFW Iron Remover Review on YouTube, click here.
- No chemicals (Silver 10 air injection) by AFW Filters for iron and sulfur
- Easy to install
- Stainless Steel Bypass with 1″ Connection
- Single tank design for reduced maintenance
- Almond resin tank
- Poor customer care
- Does not remove odors or iron bacteria
3. iSpring WGB22BM 2-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System Review
Remove iron and manganese with the iSpring WGB22BM filter designed with a two-stage removal process to handle the most notorious contaminants. The first step is the CTO carbon block filter that is made of a coconut shell carbon to eliminate bad odors. It is independent tested by a third party to meet the strict NSF/ANSI standards.
The second stage is the FM25B filter designed for contaminants removal. This filter can remove iron, chlorine, sediment, herbicides, VOCs, industrial solvents and other contaminants. These filters have a capacity of 100,000 gallons of water, equivalent to a year’s supply of water for a family of four. Further, the iSpring WGB22BM 2 comes with inlet and outlet, which have little or no impact on water flow but can minimize iron to 0.1ppm from 6ppm for maximum efficiency.
To watch the iSpring WGB22BM 2-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System Review on YouTube, click here.
- 1st stage filtration by iSpring CTO carbon block filter
- 2nd stage filter (FM25B) for iron and manganese removal
- DIY Installation and Maintenance
- Removes up to 95% of chlorine, sediment, chlorine, chemicals, heavy metals, chloramines, other contaminants (Tested by SGS)
- Low micron rating for the filter cartridge
- Features a pressure relief button
- It doesn’t come with a sediment filter
4. Durawater Air Injection Iron Eater Filter Review
The Durawater Air Injection Iron Eater Filter features a digitalized high definition air injection system in a single tank to efficiently and cost-effectively eliminate iron and sulphur. The Iron Eater has a pocket of air at the top of the tank to oxidize water that passes through. It works best for iron measuring 12 ppm, sulphur 10 ppm and manganese up to 2 ppm.
The DuraWater Iron Eater system is fitted with a Fleck 5600SXT control head (air injection) to automatically back wash the system daily helping clean impurities and contaminants down the drain. The valve can measure water usage and initiate regeneration automatically. With a patented piston in the control valve, this filtration system is able to control the oxidation process in one tank keeping the maintenance costs down.
With basic plumbing skills, you can easily install this system as they provide an easy-to-follow guide. The water softener and filter work simultaneously to provide your home with not only clean but also healthy water.
To watch the Durawater Air Injection Iron Eater Filter Review on YouTube, click here.
- Single tank system for efficiency and cost-effectiveness
- 1.0 cubic ft centaur carbon
- Fleck 5600SXT Digital Control Valve
- Ships already loaded with the media already in the fiberglass tank for easier installation
- 48,000 grains
- Warranty may be void if you purchase through 3rd party sites
5. AFWFilters Fleck IRON Pro 2 AFW Filters Combination Water Softener Iron Filter Review
If you are looking for the top-rated iron removal system for well water on a budget, this is it. The AFWFilters Fleck IRON Pro 2 is an efficient water softener for any hard water and is recommended for a leaner family. However, the fact that it has a low capacity doesn’t compromise on its quality. It still has a high filtering performance of up to 64,000-grain model. Nonetheless, regeneration will only take place more often in a busy home.
Although it is recommended for a smaller family, its flow rate, which stands at 1 gallon per minute, ensures that it can handle three showers, a dishwasher, a laundry machine, and two sinks running simultaneously.
Further, this product is fitted with a USB drive, which has all the installation instructions, programming control, and how to care for the water softener. It also comes with a water test kit. It is, however, essential to note that this water softener is ideal for smaller families, and doesn’t filter Iron or sulfur.
To watch the AFWFilters Fleck IRON Pro 2 AFW Filters Combination Water Softener Iron Filter Review on YouTube, click here.
- Equipped with the Fleck control valve for efficiency
- Special mesh resin for the removal of iron
- Features touchpad controls for efficiency
- Includes bonus install kit
- High flow for whole house use
- It is slightly heavier
- High flow rate, which means it would regenerate more often and, as a result, use more water and salt than a higher grain model.
6. Iron Pro 48K Combination Water Softener and Iron Filter Review
The Iron Pro 48K will help you eliminate the stubborn stains and eliminate iron from your well water. What is more appealing about this system is that it does the scale elimination and iron that causes red staining at once, making it more efficient. It will also remove manganese and initiate meter based regeneration. The Iron Pro further features a special mesh resin made to eliminate large amounts of iron and highest water hardness.
The meter-based regeneration system means that the water you use is measured. Consequently, the system only regenerates when it needs to. It means that if the water requires an increase, the system will restore more to keep up. Similarly, if less water is being used, the system will regenerate less in a bid to save water.
Further, the system comes with a Fleck Sxt digital control built on the 5600 valves. It comprises a backlit LCD, touchpad controls, a power backup, and a user interface.
To watch the Iron Pro 48K Combination Water Softener and Iron Filter Review on YouTube, click here.
- Fitted with fine mesh resin to remove iron up to 6-8 ppm range, manganese up to 6 ppm, sediment, sand, rust
48,000 Grain Capacity
- Water softener and iron filter, all in one
- Ships Pre Loaded for easier installation
- New Pentair Scan and Service Application
- Link to DIY installation video available for self-installation
- Honestly, there is not a bad thing to say about the Iron Pro.
7. Abundant Flow Water AIT10 56SXT Air injection Titanium Iron Filter Review
A combination of sulfur, Iron, and manganese can cause some of the most pungent smells in your home. You can, however, eliminate such odor by using the AFW Air Filters. This product comes with a lightweight media, which provides excellent treatment for your water. The flow rate is relatively low and the backwash rate of occurrence is also reduced helping you use less water in the system.
The Abundant Flow Water AIT10 56SXT Air injection Titanium Iron Filter comes with a unique yet straightforward tank design. It means that the installation is easy making it possible for air injection, contaminant removal, and oxidation to happen within one distinct tank. As a result, this minimizes space and prolongs the system’s life.
Additionally, the system is fitted with an automatic backwashing controller, which improves both the efficiency and convenience of the whole system. Further, the treatment process takes place in a separate container in a more controlled and efficient manner.
To watch the Abundant Flow Water AIT10 56SXT Air injection Titanium Iron Filter Review on YouTube, click here.
- It comes with comprehensive installation instructions
- It has a rust-resistant steel bypass
- Effectively removes high levels of iron (up to 15 ppm)
- No chemicals, no salt!
- It is not fitted with a water softener
8. iSpring WGB32BM 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System Review
Give your family the maximum protection chemicals and other water impurities with iSpring WGB32BM 3-stage filter. What is exciting about the filters is that they last longer than most types in this category. Filtration starts with the sediment filter, which is made of a high-quality polypropylene to filer down to 5 microns. The second filter is the CTO Carbon Block filter that is designed from coconut shell carbon to effectively remove odors. The two filters are independently tested for quality control and have a capacity of 100,000 gallons of water.
The last stage in filtration the system is the FM25B filter to remove residues such as dust, pesticides, and industrial solvents.
The installation, though not as easy, is made easier by a manual and the YouTube tutorials provided. With Big Blue 20” x 4.5” filter cartridges and 1” NPT inlet / outlet, the iSpring Filtration system has minimal effect on the flow of water and will require minimum maintenance.
To watch the iSpring WGB32BM 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System Review on YouTube, click here.
- It removes up to 95% sediment
- 3rd stage filter (FM25B) to remove dust, pesticides, and industrial solvents
- Filters are independent third-party to meet NSF/ANSI standards
- DIY Installation and Maintenance
- It is relatively expensive
9. Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter Review
Grab an Express Water Heavy Metal Water Filter and enjoy wholesome, pure water from your taps. You can drink from any faucet without any fear because this system does away with chlorine, iron, rust, lead, and other contaminants. All the filters are designed to work simultaneously, providing you with safer water for your home use.
The system utilizes a 3-stage process to efficiently remove the range of contaminants using these three filters: Sediment Filter, Kinetic Degradation Fluxion filter and the Activated Carbon Block.
The Express Filter is not as complicated as other types in this series. It comes with a clear first stage housing, which enables you to monitor your system quickly and thus replace your filters if need be. Further, you will not need to worry about maintenance.
Further, this product is constructed using sturdy steel, which can withstand adverse weather conditions for durability.
To watch the Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter Review on YouTube, click here.
- Removes iron, pesticides, dirt, mercury, rust, lead, insecticides, sulfur, silt, chloramine, copper, VOCs, cadmium, herbicides, hydrogen sulfate, cloudiness, nickel and odors.
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Pressure gauges make it easy to see the state of your system
- Standard 1” connections for easy adaptability and high flow
- Free standing frame to allow you to choose a mounted or unmounted installation
- 1 year warranty on all Express Water Systems and free lifetime support
- It has a complicated installation method
Avoid – APEC Water Systems FI KDF85 10BB Review
To say that the APEC Water Systems FI-KDF85-10BB is the absolute worst iron removal system for well water on the market is a misnomer, but it isn’t far from the truth. More specifically, this is one of the least effective iron removal systems on the market today. Designed to eliminate iron and hydrogen sulfide, the filter will do little to remove bad odors and taste from well water.
What stands out is APEC’s poor design with a filter that has a blue plug completely blocking any flow yet it has a particulate filter media. Further, the filter does not hold for very long. The poor design means that it will be collapsing in a matter of days.
It also has a low capacity at only 20,000 gallon meaning that it will not serve a medium sized household for 6 months.
To watch the APEC Water Systems FI KDF85 10BB Review on YouTube, click here.
- Relatively inexpensive
- Does not work – will not eliminate smells
- Low flow rate
- Low water capacity
- Poor design
- Not durable
2020 Buyers Guide to the Iron Removal System for Well Water
Typically, iron starts staining at levels above 0.3 ppm (parts per million), so for an iron removal system to be effective, it requires to remove the iron at below that number. Every application is different but what should you consider when purchasing an iron removal system? Here are the top factors:
4 Main Points to Consider:
- Have Your Water Tested – The first step in purchasing a water filter is having your water tested. You may already know that your well water contains iron, but testing can help you know which type (whether ferric, ferrous or organic) helping you choose the right filter. A water test can also help you detect iron bacteria, manganese and other factors like alkalinity and ph.
- Consider size of filter – Consider the size of the iron water filter needed. You need about 5 gpm minimum flow of backwash in an iron filter that used oxidation media. Generally, the higher the needed flow rate, the larger the unit. If you have no clue what your well pump’s water flow rate is, this is the first thing you will have to find out.
- Replacing Your Filters – Be prepared to change your filter often if you have a filter that does not fit your capacity needs. You will note that some filters can stay up to 5 years while others are only good for one year. It is prudent practice to have your filters ready when a replacement is due.
- Installation – Some homeowners prefer to have a professional install the filtration system while others will do the job themselves. Depending on the filter, both options are viable. Just make sure to call an expert for installation that requires professional handling rather than attempting it yourself as you could ruin the product.
What removes iron from well water?
Various iron removal systems work for well water. For relatively low iron content, a whole house cartridge water filtration system will suffice. The systems can remove ferric and ferrous iron, hydrogen sulfide, manganese, and other impurities often found in water like VOCs, chlorine and herbicides.
Will a water softener remove iron from well water?
Yes, ferrous can be eliminated from well water through an ion exchange with the aid of a softener. This works perfectly for concentrations not exceeding 5 mg/L. One must note that the maximum threshold of iron that a water softener can remove largely depends of various factors including the model and manufacturer.
Best Iron Removal System for Well Water (2020 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Buying an Iron Removal System for Well Water
Dealing with iron contamination in your well water does not mean that you are okay with foul-smelling water and reddish rust stains on your fixtures. Iron may be a plentiful resource but should not be a nuisance in your house, even if your water source is well water, if you choose the right iron removal system.