Our experts researched and tested the 7 best well water filtration systems based on performance, specific application, warranty, and price. The top choice for 2023 is the SpringWell Whole House Water Filter System.
Quick Comparison Of Our Favorites
Flow Rate: 12 – 20 GPM
Service Life: 15 – 20 Years
Annual Cost: $125
Flow Rate: 5 – 12 GPM
Service Life: 10 – 15 Years
Annual Cost: $125
Warranty: Lifetime, 7 Years
Flow Rate: 10 – 25 GPM
Service Life: 10 – 15 Years
Annual Cost: $300
Warranty: Lifetime, 5 Years, 10 Years
Do you have concerns with the safety, smell, or color of your well water? You’re not alone! Unlike city water, well water is untreated so it is likely to contain heavy metals like iron, sediment, bacteria, and other contaminants.
When you are investing in a well water filtration system for your family, you need to know what the ideal solution is, and how to install and maintain it. A whole house water filter system is designed to treat every drop of well water that enters your home.
That’s why our experts tested the top systems for each scenario to find the best solution for your home. I also include a guide at the bottom that provides all the key considerations to make before purchasing a well water system.
Best Whole House Water Filters For Well Water
- Best Overall: SpringWell Whole House Well Water Filter System
- Best For High Iron: SoftPro Iron Master Water Filtration System
- Best For High Sulfur: US Water Systems Matrixx inFusion Filter
- Best UV Purifier: SpringWell Ultraviolet Water Filter System
- Best For Manganese: Pelican Manganese Water Filter System
- Best Cartridge System: Home Master Whole House Water Filtration System
- Best Budget: Water Express 3 Stage Whole House Water Filter
Well Water Filter System Reviews For 2023
SpringWell WS Whole House Well Water Filter
The SpringWell WS Whole House Well Water Filter System uses a unique air-injection technology to treat 7 PPM iron, 8 PPM sulfur, and 1 PPM manganese. Most well water filters are capable of removing one or the other. The SpringWell stands out because of its well-rounded ability to treat all of them.
Well water flows through a tiny pocket of air at the top of the tank, oxidizing, or adding oxygen to the water. The innovative copper & zinc flex bed and coconut shell alloy filtration removes annoying rotten egg smell, water staining, and bad taste. It also includes a sediment filter to remove heavy particles like sand and dirt to protect your home’s appliances.
It was easy to install and I love that I can “see” what it’s doing and change settings if needed right from my phone! The quality of the well water is greatly improved and I don’t have the brown stains in the toilets anymore or the rotten egg smell!Glena M – Verified User
You can purchase the SpringWell in two size configurations for tailored performance. The WS1 for homes up to 4 bathrooms and 12 GPM flow rate. The WS4 for homes over 4 bathrooms and a flow rate of 20 GPM.
This cost-effective well water filtration system works using a programmable head so it is truly set-it-and-forget-it. A programmable backwash cycle flushes contaminants yet conserves water compared to other systems. You can even monitor water usage and backwash cycles right on your smartphone using the Bluetooth application.
|Flow Rate||12 – 20 GPM|
|pH Range||6.5 – 10|
|Operating Pressure||25 – 80 PSI|
|Operating Temperature||36 – 120 F|
|Connection Size||1 Inch|
- Removes 8 PPM sulfur, 7 PPM iron, and 1 PPM magnesium
- Smart control valve can be monitored from smartphone to conserve water
- Maintenance-free for the entire service life of 15 – 25 years
- High flow rate so no drop in water pressure
- Lifetime warranty with a 6-month money back guarantee
- Professional installation may be required which will add to the upfront expense
- Need to purchase own piping and fittings to install the system
SoftPro Iron Master AIO Filter
If your well water has very concentrations of iron lurking around, the SoftPro is an ideal option. Capable of removing a massive 30 PPM of iron and 5 PPM of sulfide, this is a great all-around filter that won’t break the bank.
Well water iron is typically in a ferrous state, which means the water appears clear. Despite that, the iron changes into a ferric state once the water is exposed to air. This is what creates the brown and red staining around your home.
Most iron filters will do a decent job at removing it, but with new technology and design, some models have greatly improved performance. Currently, high-efficiency AIO Technology is a standout. The SoftPro advanced Air Injection Oxidation system utilizes air as a natural oxidizer to boost iron removal.
The smart control valve and 1-inch ports on the sulfur filtration tank maintain high flow rates and are guaranteed to reduce high amounts of iron, manganese, and hydrogen sulfide. This means you can use more water at a time without a drop in the water pressure.
It also comes in three size options depending on the size of your household: 1.0 cubic feet, 1.5 cubic feet. and 2.0 cubic feet.
The SoftPro is very intuitive since it comes with a large easy-to-read LCD display. The electronic touchpad LCD show makes setup and troubleshooting very easy with no complex symbols or codes.
An additional feature we like is the vacation mode and battery backup that keeps the system operating for 48 hours in case of a power outage so you don’t have to reprogram it every time you lose power like many other options.
|Flow Rate||5 – 12 GPM|
|System Dimensions||12″ x 52″ H|
|Operating Pressure||20 – 80 PSI|
|Operating Temperature||36 – 120 F|
|Connection Size||1 Inch|
- Comes with a lifetime warranty and 6-month money back guarantee
- Removes up to 5 PPM of sulfur, 7 PPM of manganese, and 30 PPM iron
- Large one-inch ports for high water pressure
- Next generation electronic control head
- Lifetime warranty on tanks and 7-year warranty on electrical components
- Installation and control head setup can be challenging, but not overly complicated
- Does not come with a smart control app
US Water Systems Matrixx inFusion Filter
This system is a heavy-duty solution guaranteed to solve even the most stubborn well problems. It is capable of removing a huge amount of sulfur up to 30 PPM and 20 PPM Iron.
The Matrixx Infusion System injects hydrogen peroxide using a professional-grade injection system to oxidate and remove iron, manganese, and hydrogen sulfide once and for all.
When hydrogen peroxide is injected into well water in combination with the catalytic carbon filter media, a large amount of dissolved oxygen is released and strong oxidation takes place.
The additional bonus with this system is that the hydrogen peroxide is suitable to treat a variety of microorganisms like viruses and bacteria in your water too.
An automatic backwash is then performed every day or two by the control valve which flushes the bed and cleans it for the next cycle. Importantly, the Vortech tank design will save water and increase flow rate through backwashing.
Set up and maintenance with the Matrixx is simple because of the bluetooth enabled smartphone app. The smart valve system integrates directly with your smartphone and you’ll have access to real-time data and settings. The precise electronic meter means contaminants are removed even in high water flow periods with minimal waste water.
Because the Matrixx system is made in the USA and utilizes only professional grade NSF-certified parts, you can count on it lasting for years to come. But for added peace of mind, it comes with a lifetime warranty on the tanks, a 10-year warranty on the valve and electronics, and 5 years on the injection panel.
|Flow Rate||10 – 25 GPM|
|Filter Tank Size||13″ x 54″ H|
|Solution Tank||15 Gallons|
|Operating Pressure||36 – 120 F|
|Connection Size||3/4 – 1 Inch|
- Most effective way to eliminate the rotten egg sulfur smell
- Removes sulfur up to 30 ppm, iron up to 20 ppm, and manganese up to 1 ppm
- Bluetooth smart application for monitoring and settings
- Lifetime warranty on tank, 10 years on valves, and 5 years on injection panel
- More premium priced option
- Installation can require a professional if not DIY inclined
- Requires periodic replenishment of hydrogen peroxide
SpringWell UV Water Purification Filter
The Springwell Blackcomb is a premium ultraviolet purification system capable of killing 99.9% of pathogens, viruses or bacteria. It’s the perfect UV filter for both well water or municipal water systems alike.
What sets Springwell Blackcomb apart from other water filter systems is its premium build quality and five-star customer service. Springwell is known for its lifetime warranties on its UV light chambers, so you can be sure that your investment is protected.
Springwell Blackcomb UV water sterilization offers a 15 GPM flow rate and 30 mj/cm2 of UV power, making it one of the best UV water sterilizers with the highest flow rate. The Blackcomb also features a compact design that makes it easy to install and requires low maintenance.
The Blackcomb UV water filter also features a full-color LCD screen that displays system performance, fault messages, and diagnostics. This makes it easy to keep track of your system and ensure that it is always operating at peak efficiency.
- Kills 99.9% of pathogens, viruses or bacteria in well water
- High 15 gpm flow rate
- Color LCD display for remaining lamp life and error messages
- Controller is a constant current electronic power source
- Need to replace UV bulb once per year
- Need pre-filtration so the UV light can work effectively
Pelican Iron & Manganese Water Filter
Pelican arrives at your home preloaded and ready to install. The unique 4-stage filtration system contains a sediment filter, chlorination injector, patented mixing chamber, iron-trapping filter media, gravel under-bed with auto-backwash, and premium carbon filtration.
The self-priming chemical removal pump doesn’t run on electricity, which helps keep energy costs down and eliminates rust stains on sidewalks and driveways. Pelican is also compatible to use with septic systems. This innovation and technology indicate why a Pelican iron and magnesium water filter is the best iron filter for well water. The durable steel construction means the water filter system can enjoy a 10-15 year lifespan.
Your Pelican ships standard. You’ll receive a sediment pre-filter system with mounting hardware, a chlorination system with a metering pump and solution tank, a 1″ bypass valve and fittings, and a generous 50 foot, 3/4″ drain line.
- Removes injected chlorine with an activated carbon filter
- System caries the WQA Gold Seal Certification
- Comes in two sizes for 1-3 bathrooms and 4+ bathrooms
- Injector pump can make loud clicking noise
- Installation is more difficult than other systems
- Does not work well for sulfur treatment
Home Master Whole House Water Filtration System
For the best cartridge filter with a low upfront cost, consider installing a Home Master Whole House Water Filtration System water filter. Suppose you drink from the tap or fill a glass from the fridge, and well water is the source flowing into your home. In that case, you need a whole house system that removes up to 95% of VOCs, herbicides, pesticides, iron, and sediment and leaves the critical, healthy minerals your body requires.
Home Master’s 2-stage filtration system uses a 4-layer sediment filtration at the source without drawing down water pressure. A second filter reduces harmful amounts of iron. The third radial flow filter, packed full of granular activated coconut shell carbon, works hard to remove dangerous chemicals. You’ll get up to 100,000 gallons of fresh, healthy purified drinking water. That’s enough water for a year for a family of four.
Home Master systems feature large, standard 1″ filter housing and 1″ ports for easy installation to your existing plumbing. Both help to deliver an impressive max flow rate of up to 13-15 gallons per minute.
The Home Master weighs 48 pounds and measures 24″ W x 9″ D x 25″ H inches and can filter well water in your home from 40-100 F°
Warranty: 2-year limited warranty on Home Master parts.
To watch the Home Master Whole House Water Filtration System Review on YouTube, click here.
- Iron reduction filtration up to 3 ppm
- Less invasive installation process and takes less space
- High 15-gallon flow rate so no drop in water pressure
- 2-year limited warranty
- Does not remove as high of iron or sulfur concentration as other models
- Need to replace filter cartridges every year
Express Water 3 Stage Heavy Metals Filter
Reduce harmful and dangerous impurities from your well water. The Express Water 3 Stage Whole House Water Filter for Well Water means you can have peace of mind knowing harsh heavy metals are being removed from your water.
The 3-stage filter is capable of removing over 80 separate types of impurities from your water with no drop in water pressure. The high flow system is capable of supplying up to .25 gallons per second.
The three pressure gauges mounted on top of the water filter for well water indicate the system’s performance and when it’s time to change out the filters. The cartridges themselves are designed for quick replacement to keep your system maintained with the least amount of effort. Three filters are included with the initial purchase and last for up to 100,000 gallons or 6-12 months of use.
The whole house water filter system is housed inside a durable stainless steel frame to protect the cartridge housings from any impacts. While the cartridges are made from 100% food-grade ABS and PCE plastic.
The Express Water Whole House Filter for heavy metals is notably easy to install compared to other large tank filters. The kit comes with 1” standard connections to conveniently install into your existing plumbing. If there are any issues installing the well water filter system, Express Water has on demand support to help navigate the installation and maintenance process. In our opinion, the Express Water is the best whole house water filter for well water on a budget and simple installation.
Warranty: 1-year warranty on all Express Water Whole Home Water Systems and free lifetime support
- Treats over 80 types of common well water contaminants
- High 15 GPM flow rate
- Easier installation process than tank-based options
- Easy filter replacement process
- Filters need to be replaced every 6-12 months
- Does not provide specific contaminant levels it is capable of removing
Watch Our Ultimate Guide To Well Water Treatment
We sat down with Mark Timmons to go over everything you need to know about well water! He has over 50 years of water filtration experience and covers the best treatment options as well as common pitfalls you can avoid.
Buyers Guide: How We Choose The Best Whole House Water Filter For Well Water
Before purchasing a water filtration system, there are a few things to consider. If the well water supplying the home hasn’t been tested, ask a professional to test the water table to determine exactly what is in the water that needs to be treated. Ask if the water is hard, or mineral-rich.
If the well water is heavy with calcium and magnesium, a soft water filter may need to be added to the filtration system. Most filtration systems work in tandem to eradicate sediment and dirt, then chemicals and pollutants, then bacteria and other harmful viruses.
Once the water table is established, a decision can be made as to the amount of water and water pressure the home is utilizing and a comparable filtration system that will work without leaking or failing. There is no sense investing in a well water filtration system if the relationship of water to filter isn’t compatible. Invest wisely, do some homework, test the water.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Test Your Water: Before buying a whole house water filter system, have your well water tested. Find out if the water is hard, or mineral rich. If so, designated filtration systems offer water softening options. Knowing what is in the water best informs the type of filtration system that will do the job correctly and perform properly without having to call a plumber or constantly request parts from the manufacturer.
- Estimate Water Consumption: Understand how much water is used daily in the home. Between showering, the dishwasher, clothes washer, toilet usage, etc. a filtration system has to keep up with the flow of water into the home and the water pressure being used. Purchase a water filtration system large enough to handle these two important details.
- Determine Upkeep Costs: Ask questions about maintenance and filter replacement, especially when considering an ultra-violet (UV) water filtration system. If the cost to maintain and replace parts per year is more than the system itself, it most likely isn’t budget friendly. Shop around.
FAQs For Well Water Filtration Systems
Is well water healthier than city water?
Well water comes from the earth. This water is richer in minerals, less in pollutants. It usually tastes better than city water. Rivers and lakes, however, are polluted, and sometimes man-made. This water contributes to city water supplies for homes and business. From these sources, water collected for municipalities is processed with chemicals, like chlorine and fluoride. As far as which is healthier, well water requires less treatment.
Can I install my own whole house water filter?
Whole house water filter installation is a manageable DIY project, however, it does require a little time and know-how. In most cases, it may require cutting existing plumbing and connecting the new water filter line. That said, installing a whole house water filter is an easy task for any handyman or plumber to take care of. Most water filter systems, especially the ones Freshnss has reviewed, come with the installation kit and only require basic tools to install. Most manufacturers also have customer service support specifically for installation assistance just in case you run into any issues.
Where should a whole house water filter be installed?
The whole house water filter should be installed by the main water valve of the house. That is typically found in the basement or in the perimeter of the house in a utility closet. The filter is installed before the water line branches to other areas of the home. This is the ideal place because it is the main source of water flowing into your home and will only require one filter.
How often do you change your water filter for well water?
- How often the filter gets changed depends on a few factors. Ask yourself these questions.
- How many chambers/filters are in the filtration system?
- How many gallons of water is being filtered into the home daily?
- What did the water table test say needed to be removed?
- Harsh chemicals, chlorine, bacteria, fungus, etc.
- How much sediment and dirt is being trapped in the first filter?
- Does the system have a sediment filter?
- When does the manufacturer recommend the filter needs changed?
Final Thoughts on Buying a Whole House Water Filter for Well Water
Well water can have an oily texture and an odd odor. It can wreak havoc on your clothing and skin too. Well water contaminants and sediment vary greatly depending on geographic location. Always have your well water tested or contact your county health department for the latest well water statistics.
Check out your home’s intake source to ensure that the housings are compatible. Many well water filtration systems offer a DIY installation kit and manual. Know the exact measurements of your home’s plumbing. Count the number of sources or contact points (sink, tub, ice maker). This data can save you high professional plumbing installation costs.
Suppose you need to call a plumber for the initial installation. In that case, you will be able to answer many of their standard well water plumbing questions.
It is important to remember that your home relies solely on well water. During filter changes, the ease of removing and replacing the filter mustn’t interrupt the intake flow. Well water filtration systems that incorporate an automatic backwash system block large volumes of sediment from entering the home’s water source. And that saves time and the hassle of having to flush the water system clean or turning the water off at the source until the filter is changed.
Of the homeowners in Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina with significantly higher traces of sediment and potentially harmful chemicals in the well water, and who are in high demand for a well water filtration system, 75-100 percent simultaneously searched the internet for whole house well water filtration systems with the best warranty and second- or final-stage activated coconut carbon-block filter media and auto-backwash feature.
Protect your home’s plumbing, and your family’s health by choosing a whole house filtration system for well water.