Water. One of the most important resources on planet earth. It hydrates the human body, and runs appliances in the home. It keeps us clean, our cars from overheating and our lawns green. Animals from every corner of the earth rely on water for survival. For humans, clean water is vital. For many, a home’s source of water relies on well water. Therefore, finding a whole house water filter for well water is imperative.
What is the best whole house water filter for well water to buy in 2020? The Aquasana EQ-WELL-UV-PRO-AST Whole House Well Water Filter System with UV Purifier and Salt-Free Descaler is an industry leading filtration system built for well water usage, which provides up to 500,000 gallons of pure filtered water, while removing approximately 97% of chlorine, and 99% of dangerous viruses and bacteria.
We’ve researched and discovered the 7 top-rated whole house water filter for well water as well as 1 to avoid.
Reviews of the 6 Best Whole House Water Filter for Well Water, Plus 1 to Avoid
1. Aquasana EQ-WELL-UV-PRO-AST Whole House Well Water Filter System with UV Purifier and Salt-Free Descaler Review
For high performance, reliable and long-lasting well water filtration, Aquasana Whole House can provide up to 500,000 gallons of pure filtered water for 5 years. Aquasana guarantees harsh removal including 97% of chlorine, and 99% of dangerous viruses and bacteria. Using a unique filter combination of Carbon & KDF, a high-purity copper-zinc formulation known as Redox, which is suited specifically for well water applications. Combined with an additional ultr-violet (UV) filter and Scale Control Media (SCM), the Aquasana Whole House eliminates the maximum amount of contaminants, sodium-free. The healthy minerals remain in the most purified, scale-free soft water.
To watch the Aquasana EQ-WELL-UV-PRO-AST Whole House Well Water Filter System with UV Purifier and Salt-Free Descaler Review on YouTube, click here.
- Redox Filtration (KDF) uses oxidation/reduction technology to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, and hydrogen sulfide from well water.
- Easy, affordable 3 month filtration replacement.
- Easy to maintain system with top quality install kit tools and components.
- Constructed for long-lasting performance
- Filters water at a cost of $0.01 a gallon
- Soft water filtration
- 79 pounds
- Cost is comparably higher than competitive brands
- Components and parts may be shipped separately
- Poor customer reviews / customer service department complaints
- Cost of hiring outside maintenance or plumber for system failure
2. Aquasana Rhino Whole House Water Filtration System Review
Very similar to the Aquasana Whole House model, the NSF-certified Rhino delivers unbeatable purified water, without the hassle of water softener salt replacement, electricity usage or wastewater drainage. It works hard to keep the water safe for drinking, bathing and is uniquely compatible to send the cleanest, purest water to all water-friendly appliances in the home. Soft water filtration leaves food tasting better, clothes lasting longer, and skin and hair rinse and stay softer. The Rhino features low to no maintenance tanks for ease of use.
To watch the Aquasana Rhino Whole House Water Filtration System Review on YouTube, click here.
- Certified to meet the qualifications for safety, quality, sustainability and performance.
- Environmentally friendly / Soft water filtration
- Very low maintenance
- Easy installation
- 80 pounds
- Shipping costs
- All warranty information provided by calling customer support
3. Bluonics 55W UV Ultraviolet Light + Sediment & Carbon Well Water Filter Purifier System Review
There are two words associated with ultra-violet (UV) water filtration systems: Reliability and Power. Bluonics has mastered the amazing potential of UV rays and built them into their affordable line of water filtrations systems. The 55W works as a 3 “chamber” system. The stainless steel housing keeps the unit from corroding over time, while protecting the powerful UV light housed inside the chamber.
Water enters the Bluonics at Stage 1. Here, a 20 micron Sediment String Wound Sediment Filter works to remove dirt, sediment, silt and rust. Passing into chamber 2, the Carbon Block Filter tackles odor, taste, chemicals, chlorine and solvents. The magic occurs at Chamber 3, when the water passes through the UV chamber. This last stage kills germs, bacteria, E. coli, fungus and the harshest of the last chemical sediments left in the water before it enters the home’s faucets. This tiny but mighty filtration system can purify 12 gallons per minute.
To watch the Bluonics 55W UV Ultraviolet Light Sediment Carbon Well Water Filter Purifier System Review on YouTube, click here.
- Very affordable
- Easy installation
- 31 pounds / solid stainless steel construction
- Great for smaller homes, campers, single-use bathroom/kitchens
- Great customer service / Lifetime tech support
- Good reviews
- Not a water softener
- One-year limited warranty
- Cost of UV light filament replacement
- Leakage reported
4. iFilters Well Water Whole House Filtration System Review
NSF-approved, built in the United States and boasts KDF filtration technology and a 30 micron removable, washable sediment filter. High-quality construction with full 1” size inflow and outflow ports.This dual chamber filtration system removes 99% of impurities, improves the quality of drinking water, lengthens the life of washing machines and dishwashers, and provides superior odor and chlorine reduction. The chambers are built with a material that are 100% bacteria and chemical resistant, extending the life of the entire filtration system.
To watch the iFilters Well Water Whole House Filtration System Review on YouTube, click here.
- Thoughtful, quality materials
- 28 pounds
- Easy installation
- Bacteria and chemical resistant
- Permanent washable sediment filter
- Doesn’t filter iron
- Water tables went unchanged
- >Extra installation and plumber/municipality inspection costs
5. Reverse Osmosis Revolution Whole House 3-Stage Water Filtration System Review
This 3 chamber system works with a quick-connect 5 micron sediment filter. At this stage 1, as the water enters the filtration system, the filter permanently traps all dust, dirt, sediment rust, and scale particles. This stage is crucial as it extends the life of the entire system by removing these particles upfront. Next, the water enters chamber 2: the Premium Granular Activated Carbon filter. The carbon works to not only eradicate chlorine and radon, but also acts to remove cloudiness and odors, and eliminate any bad aftertaste, like sulfur. Water presses through the Caron Block filter at Stage 3. This filter works to purify the water for the cleanest taste, while continuing to remove solvents and chemicals which aren’t caught in the first two chambers.
The manufacturer offers Coconut Carbon Fiber Block filter upgrades for even purer, cleaner tasting water. This water filtration system is lightweight and easy to mount, and comes with two extra sets (one year) of filters for each chamber. Manufacturer recommends filter changes every 4 months.
To watch the Reverse Osmosis Revolution Whole House 3-Stage Water Filtration System Review on YouTube, click here.
- 17 pounds / easy to install
- Comes with 1 year worth of replacement filters
- 2 Carbon filters
- Stage 1 filter system preservation
- 15 Day “Try It” Money Back Guarantee
- 1 Year warranty on parts
- Currently Not Available
6. Express Water Whole House Water Filter 3 Stage Home Water Filtration System Review
Housed in an optional, high-quality, food-grade, stainless steel, open-front cabinet, Express Water Whole House Water Filter 3 stage system offers thoughtful and scientific top-of-the line water filtration. Meeting all NSF standards, well water moves through high capacity flow connectors. With a range of up to 0.25 gallons per second at 45-80 psi this filtration system is “thinking” as it filters.
Unique technology built into the system guarantees no loss of water pressure, straight from the tap pure, meaning no wasted water down the drain and, depending on usage, 100,000 gallons of the purest water in a 6-12 month period. Filter changes are simple as twist-go-replace. Pressure release buttons mean no fighting to unscrew a filter or hunt for a specific wrench. Pressure gauges are built into the top of the unit for each filtration chamber along with filter change indicators. The system indicates pressure levels for maximum efficiency and proper functionality as the water is filtered through the chambers.
To watch the Home Express Water Whole House Water Filter 3 Stage Home Water Filtration System Review on YouTube, click here.
- Sediment, Granular Carbon & Carbon Block Chambers
- Pressure gauges & optional metal housing
- Latest technology-driven filtration
- 100,000 gallon guarantee
- 62 pounds
- No instructions with delivery
- Carbon filters affected water pressure
- 1 year parts warranty
Avoid – Home Master Whole House Three Stage Water Filtration System Review
The cost of a Home Master is 20% of the total cost of an Aquasana home filtration system. With its unique 3 chamber coconut shell, carbon fiber filtration system, and massive filter mountings; this wall mounted or under-the-sink system allows for the strongest water pressure at up to 15 gallons per minute or 90 PSI. It offers finer filtration, removing dirt and sediment at a higher rate than the bigger competitive filtration systems. Unique size, design and filters makes it great for a well-water or city water system, however, despite the warranty, and purification claims, this product is prone to leaking and not trapping all of the important sediment at the first stage of purification. Other consumers found that odors linger in the water after the last stage of filtration. We recommend avoiding the Home Master Whole House Three Stage Water Filtration System.
To watch the Home Master Whole House Three Stage Water Filtration System Review on YouTube, click here.
- 48 pounds
- 2 year limited warranty
- Excellent purification & Easy installation
- Removal of up to 95% of chemicals and contaminants
- Improved flow rates
- Oversize filters
- Reduced maintenance and filter replacement
- Prone to leaks
- Filter construction causing sediment/particles in water
- Doesn’t remove 100% of odors – notably sulfur
- 2 month filter replacement
2020 Buyers Guide to the Best Whole House Water Filter for Well Water:
Before purchasing a water filtration system, there are a few things to consider. If the well water supplying the home hasn’t been tested, ask a professional to test the water table to determine exactly what is in the water that needs to be treated. Ask if the water is hard, or mineral-rich. If the well water is heavy with calcium and magnesium, a soft water filter may need to be added to the filtration system. Most filtration systems work in tandem to eradicate sediment and dirt, then chemicals and pollutants, then bacteria and other harmful viruses. One the water table is established, a decision can be made as to the amount of water and water pressure the home is utilizing and a comparable filtration system that will work without leaking or failing. There is no sense investing in a well water filtration system if the relationship of water to filter isn’t compatible. Invest wisely, do some homework, test the water.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Test Your Water: Before buying a whole house water filter system, have your well water tested. Find out if the water is hard, or mineral rich. If so, designated filtration systems offer water softening options. Knowing what is in the water best informs the type of filtration system that will do the job correctly and perform properly without having to call a plumber or constantly request parts from the manufacturer.
- Estimate Water Consumption: Understand how much water is used daily in the home. Between showering, the dishwasher, clothes washer, toilet usage, etc. a filtration system has to keep up with the flow of water into the home and the water pressure being used. Purchase a water filtration system large enough to handle these two important details.
- Determine Upkeep Costs: Ask questions about maintenance and filter replacement, especially when considering an ultra-violet (UV) water filtration system. If the cost to maintain and replace parts per year is more than the system itself, it most likely isn’t budget friendly. Shop around.
How often do you change your water filter for well water?
- How often the filter gets changed depends on a few factors. Ask yourself these questions.
- How many chambers/filters are in the filtration system?
- How many gallons of water is being filtered into the home daily?
- What did the water table test say needed to be removed?
- Harsh chemicals, chlorine, bacteria, fungus, etc.
- How much sediment and dirt is being trapped in the first filter?
- Does the system have a sediment filter?
- When does the manufacturer recommend the filter needs changed?
Best Whole House Water Filter for Well Water (2020 Buyers Guide):
Is well water healthier than city water?
Well water comes from the earth. This water is richer in minerals, less in pollutants. It usually tastes better than city water. Rivers and lakes, however, are polluted, and sometimes man-made. This water contributes to city water supplies for homes and business. From these sources, water collected for municipalities is processed with chemicals, like chlorine and fluoride. As far as which is healthier, well water requires less treatment.
Final Thoughts on Buying a Whole House Water Filter for Well Water
Clean pure water. It’s vital for living well. You welcome well water into your home. Well water should be chemical and pollutant free, shouldn’t scale and leave deposits; and shouldn’t be a skin irritant. Purified well water should make skin and hair softer, and lengthen the life of appliances. Purified well water should bring purity into the home. It just makes sense. If the home relies on well water as its only source, knowing what filter works best before the that water enters the faucet is crucial to living a well-balanced and healthy life.