Under sink water filters are the solution for many homeowners who want convenient filtered water. But, finding one of the best under sink water filters can be difficult with so many options of drinking water filtration systems on the market. We’ve researched and filtered out the low quality options, in order to deliver the five top-rated under sink water filters on the market, as well as a couple to avoid.
Reviews of the 5 Best Under Sink Water Filters, Plus the 2 Worst to Avoid
This Apec WFS-1000 filter is probably the best under sink water filter system for most homes. It’s an ‘Amazon Choice’, and with the specifications, it’s no mystery. The filters are long-life, so you won’t need to replace them every month, it filters in 3 stages, there is a 1-year guarantee on satisfaction, but the best feature is the lifetime support.
The systems are built to last, and lifetime support is important when it might need repairs. Because this is one of the more expensive models, know that it’s regularly cheaper to fix water filters than to replace them. Keep this in mind when making your purchasing decision. You might pay more now but save money in the years to come.
The filters should last for about 1-year. If you find yourself replacing them more often, take advantage of the lifetime support to find out why. Heavy use could lead to more frequent filter change, but the Apec has a reputation for holding up to high-usage well.
2. Filtrete Advanced Under Sink Water Filtration System Review
Another ‘Amazon Choice’ produces and one of the best under sink water filters available, this is the option that fits into any budget. This system effectively removes contaminants and installation is easy. Although the dimensions of this system are large, it’s needed to support the Filtrete’s unique design.
The advanced part of the Filtrete Advanced system is the design that eliminates the extra faucet. This feature is what brought this filter system into the number 2 spot. It installs directly into the sinks cold water line. So, everything comes out filtered.
The downside is that since it’s regularly filtering all the cold water for your faucet, the filters don’t last that long. Although they advertise for six months of use, expect four months of heavy use on these filters. Fortunately, these filters aren’t extraordinarily expensive.
3. Nahla Pure Ultra High Capacity Under Sink Water Filter Review
For those who have a much higher budget, the Nahla Pure is a top choice, but its price dropped it from the top 2 spots. The Nahla Pure stands out as one of the best under sink water filters because of its longevity. It lasts for about three years without any attention or for 10,000 gallons.
Not to mention it’s wall mounted so instead of having a bulky container under your sink, it sits nearly flush to the wall and out of your way. It effectively removes chlorine and connects right onto your cold-water line. A bonus of installing right onto the cold-water line is that there’s no extra faucet. Nahla offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. But, if you’re purchasing this under sink water filter system, you probably won’t need it!
4. Aquasana 3-Stage Under Sink Water Filter System Review
Don’t let the price of this under sink water filter system fool you. It is the most budget-friendly option here, and there are pros and cons. But, the Aquasana 3-Stage delivers quality, clean, and crisp water. It’s very effective at removing unwanted contaminants such as pesticides, heavy metals, chlorine and even herbicide.
The twist design makes changing these filters easy. They need changing every 4-6 months depending on how heavily you use the system. The faucet it comes with for installation is a nice model. Unlike other cheap options, this faucet doesn’t drip or leak. So, what’s the downside? Well, the O-rings and some other hardware are known to wear out after only 2 or 3 years of use. You can always replace hardware, so keep that in mind.
5. Doulton W9330958 SuperCarb Under Sink Water Filter System Review
This Doulton system is a cartridge filter that removes many contaminants from the water. It uses four filters thoroughly filtering out contaminants in your drinking water. Using a carbon block filter for most particles it also uses an antibacterial filter that is self-sterilizing. Afterward, it processes your water through another carbon filter to catch chlorine and organic aspects then finally the filter removes heavy metals.
The 4-stage filter system results in a taste difference. But, there’s a downside. This system isn’t complete. You’ll have to hunt down a few parts at your local hardware store. Then, the O-rings are known to not last for very long, and there is little instruction on installation available. This Doulton water filter product would rank much higher on the list if it weren’t so inconvenient. Those who are new to filter system wouldn’t stand up to the lack of direction here. But, if you’re familiar with installation, it is a great system.
Avoid – Culligan EZ-Change Under Sink Water Filtration System Review
The Culligan EZ-Change claims that their quick connection fittings make it easy to replace filters, their cartridges filter unwanted contaminants including mercury and improves taste for up to 6 months. That’s standard for what we’ve seen here only Culligan doesn’t deliver.
This product is known for leaking and leaving residue on cups. It’s also notoriously difficult to install. The connectors might allow for quick filter changes, but they also leak, almost constantly. Not to mention this isn’t the cheapest system available.
Overall the Culligan EZ-4 doesn’t deliver on its promises. The features that make filters easy to replace also leak constantly. The filter doesn’t grab as many contaminants as you would expect from a filter of this size. Finally, leaving a residue of any kind defeats the purpose of buying a water filter system.
Avoid – Whirlpool WHER 25 Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System Review
Whirlpool delivers an under the sink system that isn’t what you expect. A well-known and respected name like Whirlpool makes people think of top quality. Just like the Culligan filter, this system doesn’t deliver.
The Whirlpool WHER 25 will send you straight to your local hardware store for components. It’s missing necessary parts for installation. After you get everything, you need to install many of the fittings and the faucet leak regularly. This is a commonly seen complaint.
The final blow for this under sink water filter system is that the components which do come with the system for installation are only made by Whirlpool and are only replaceable through Whirlpool. They’re known for not standing by their warranty and making it difficult to obtain replacement parts.
2018 Buyers Guide to the Best Under Sink Water Filters:
Nearly everyone wants a water filter in their homes, but the water filter pitchers take up space in the fridge and countertop water filters can be an eyesore. Under sink water filters are a great solution, but come with their concerns. Typically, they’re pricier and require filter replacements, but in the end they’re totally worth it. Having narrowed your water purification option down to an under sink water filter is a great place to be in the purchase process. However, there are other aspects to take into consideration. The lifespan of the system, installation, and water pressure are major things to delve into before buying.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Lifespan: When you’re purchasing an under sink water filter system, you’re making a down payment towards the real cost of the water filter. Because these systems require filter replacement, you’ll regularly purchase the product for the system itself. Keep this in mind. If you buy a less expensive system that will need replacing in 2 years and new filters every four months, you end up spending more than a more expensive system which lasts for ten years and only needs filters replaced every three years. The anticipated lifespan of a product is important in the decision-making process. Each of the products listed in these reviews is well-known for a long lifespan. That way, in the long run, you aren’t spending more money to replace an entire system.
- Installation: Installation is either pain or a breeze. There seems to be no middle ground when it comes to under sink water filter systems. The concept is exceptionally straightforward, but for many who attempt it, the process goes wrong. By far, under sink water filter systems that attach to your cold-water line is easier for beginners. Usually, they’re also more comfortable with not having to install another faucet. If you’re new to water filter systems and are anxious about installing another faucet, look at some of the in-line filters. Always check your system before purchasing to ensure it comes with everything you need. One of the primary factors that led to the Whirlpool review here is that it was so difficult to acquire everything necessary to install the system.
- Water Pressure: The last thing you want is to finish installing the system and see your glass slowly fill because you’re only getting a dribble. It’s aggravating and if you don’t have good water pressure something is probably wrong. There are many under sink water filter options that have great water pressure. Keep in mind that if your water pressure is too high, it’s probably not spending enough time running through the filter. There is a sweet spot for water pressure. Water should run from the filter steadily and fill a large glass in a few seconds. Many of these companies offer support services. Take advantage of these offerings if you’re noticing any issues with water pressure. They may help you in identifying a loose fitting or missing component attributing to the problem.
How to Install an Under-Sink Water Filter (Video Instructions):
Final Thoughts on Finding One of the Best Under Sink Water Filters:
There are many great under sink water filter systems. But, finding the best under sink water filter system relies on your preferences and how often you’re using the system. With heavy use even, the best system will need regular filter changes and some maintenance.
However, maintaining an expensive filter is probably still less expensive than buying cheaper systems every 2 or 3 years. Filter costs are another area to consider, because of the lifespan of the system be sure you’re not overpaying for filters every four months.
Finally, reach out. Many of these companies in the best under sink water filter system reviews are great with customers and offer valuable support. We hope this information has helped you find the right under sink water filter system for your home!