Aside from installing a home water filter, you don’t have a lot of options if your refrigerator doesn’t already come with a water filter. But pitcher filters have taken the world by storm! They provide an inexpensive option and compete very well with the large filter systems that require installation. Finding best water filter pitcher of 2018 couldn’t be easier with these reviews! We’ve gathered all the information available on the 5 top-rated, and 2 worst water filter pitchers.
Reviews of the 5 Best Water Filter Pitchers, Plus the 2 Worst to Avoid
1. Lake Industries Alkaline Pitcher Review
The Alkaline Pitcher is the best Lake Industries water filter pitcher review. It has a 7-stage filter that uses tourmaline, minerals, carbon and ionic exchange. The boost of this ionic exchange is an increase in alkalinity.
What you get in the end is water that tastes great, with chlorine and heavy metals removed. The Alkaline Pitcher removes zinc, lead, copper, chlorine, and several other unwanted contaminants. Because this filter works so hard compared to others, the filters only last for about 2 months.
But, changing the filter every 2 months is no problem, the filters are inexpensive. You can also clearly taste when it’s time to change the filter. The design of the pitcher allows it to fit easily into any refrigerator. The lid flips back; it’s comfortable to grip and pour!
Overall the Alkaline Pitcher is the best blend of value and quality.
2. Nakii Water Filter Pitcher Review
BPA-free, FDA approved,and WQA certified the Nakii pitcher delivers on a variety of safety concerns. This is one of the best water filter pitchers of 2018. Built for durability, and with a sturdy design highlighting a wooden handle the Nakii lasts for years. The Nakii pitcher uses a carbon filter to catch contaminants like mercury, lead, sediment,and chlorine. Carbon filters are also known to reduce limescale or the hardness, of the wear.
You will immediately notice a vast improvement in taste. The bonus? These filters last for a very long time. The manufacturer doesn’t provide a recommended time frame, but we’ve found that they last for about 4 to 6 months with constant use. The filters are built to withstand up to 150 gallons of water in their lifetime.
The price of the Nakii pitcher is reasonable,and the filters are inexpensive. But, the Nakii pitcher fell behind the Alkaline Pitcher because of its size. The Nakii only holds 1.8-liters of water; this equals about 7.5 cups. You will probably refill this pitcher a few times a day if you have more than 1 person living in the home.
3. Brita Everyday Water Filter Pitcher Review
The brand that everyone knows, and brought the filtered water craze back, Brita. This filter is one of the cheapest models available for its size. The Brita Everyday Water Filter is the best Brita water filter pitcher. It uses an activated carbon filter to remove heavy metals including lead, and copper.
With these contaminants gone the filter produces high-quality, odorless water that tastes great. The price tag reals people in but people keep purchasing filters because of the quality. The filters through is where the value starts to shift.
Brita makes these filters and issues a sticker on them to indicate when it’s time for a replacement. But the filter isn’t always spot on for timing. You might notice a taste difference a few weeks before the sticker indicates the need for a change.
Brita filter replacements seem cheap until you realize how often you’re changing the cartridges. Keep in mind that your replacement schedule can vary with how often you’re refilling the pitcher.
4. ZeroWater Water Filter Pitcher Review
ZeroWater uses a 5-stage filter not only to filter out chlorine, lead and other heavy metals but also chromium. The ZeroWater filter is NSF certified, a bonus in proving its ability to remove lead and chromium.
The ZeroWater filter stands out from the competition with a single design feature, the bottom dispenser. Yes, this is still a pitcher that sits inside your refrigerator and filters water. But, it has a dispenser at the bottom for easy access.
There is also a total dissolved solid, or TDS, a meter which is a separate device that shows how clean your water is. This device helps you keep tabs on how effective your filter is, so you aren’t wasting money on replacing filters that are still in good working condition.
5. PUR 18-Cup Water Filter Review
The PUR is the largest pitcher on this list and one of the largest pitcher filters on the market. It holds up to 18-cups and filters very quickly! With nearly double the capacity as most other water pitcher filters, it’s easy to see where many people rank it as the best water pitcher filter. PUR is a well-known brand, and this is the best PUR water filter pitcher available right now.
However, biggest doesn’t always mean best, and the PUR filter has a few downfalls. The lifespan of the cartridges is only about 2months’ time. But, the filter cartridges are cheaper than almost any other replacement filter we’ve seen.
This filter is a great option for large households,but by design, it doesn’t have all the benefits of a pitcher. For instance, you can’t remove this from the refrigerator and pass it around. The pour spout is the only dispenser. It improves the quality and the taste of the water, with the removal of chlorine and some heavy metals.
Avoid – Brita Slim Water Filter Pitcher Review
The Brita Slim is probably the original water pitcher. Many people regard this as the best water filter pitcher based on information from years ago. But, the design changed, and the durability was affected.
It does protect against many contaminants,and honestly, the reason to avoid this product isn’t that of its filtering ability. The Brita Slim is an effective filter.
The Brita Slim is best avoided though because of its lack of durability. The plastic itself is thin, cracks easily and deteriorates. Specifically, through the handle, and once a water pitcher is difficult to pick up, it hardly deserves the title of best water filter pitcher.
Instead, save the 10 dollars of hassle and buy a slightly more expensive water filter pitcher. The Nakii is only a few dollars more than the Brita Slim but substantially more durable.
pH RESTORE is everything you could want from a water filter pitcher. It increases the pH for healthier Alkaline levels and produces great tasting water. The filter effectively removes pollutants and unwanted heavy metals including arsenic.
This filter removes chlorine and fluoride as well as the other contaminants, so where does it go wrong? The technology used is unnecessary, and the price is unreasonable. A digital gauge is nice, but not necessary.
When a filter like this one has such a dramatic taste difference,you don’t need a fancy digital readout on when to change your filter. Then to make matters worse, the cartridge replacements are among the most expensive. Within 2 months you could have purchased an under-sink filter or invested in a water filter that feeds through your cold-water line and saved the room in your refrigerator.
2018 Buyers Guide to the Best Water Filter Pitchers
Many people turn to a water filter pitcher because they either can’t install an in-line water filter or can’t afford one. These two reasons continue to fuel the water filter pitcher companies, keep the prices reasonable and quality high.
3 Main Points to Consider:
When you’re ready to purchase the best water filter pitcher for you consider these main points: Capacity, Lifespan and Overall Cost. These 3 points can help guide you to finding the best water filter pitcher for you and your home.
- Filter Capacity: A water filters capacity isn’t usually a make-or-break factor for purchasing. However, with a water filter pitcher, the capacity makes all the difference. How often do you plan on refiling your water filter? Constant refills are not only a nuisance but also a way of masking how long your filter’s cartridge lasts. If the filter has a large capacity and the filter only lasts for a month at a time, then the cartridge itself is low quality. But, a large capacity filter which requires changing every 2 months is essentially the same as a filter half that size having a cartridge that lasts for 4 months. There is the delicate balance of filter capacity in identifying how much water is comfortable to hold, lift and pour versus identifying the hidden filter quality. The cartridge quality usually falls somewhere in the middle but most moderately sized water filter pitchers should only need their filter changed every 3 to 6 months. If you’re going through a lot of water each day, you might want to take advantage of a larger capacity option. Whereas, if there is only one person in the household, a smaller capacity can save your refrigerator space.
- Lifespan: The lifespan of water filter pitchers varies greatly. Because each brand uses their blend of plastic and design for structure the brand indicates the relative lifespan. Brita’s are known for only lasting a year or 2 but are usually the household name that people trust. Other brands such as ZeroWater and PUR have more stable structure designs and plastic that is more resilient to abuse. Remember that these filters travel between the refrigerator and the sink they risk damage. If a filter is too heavy, it can pull on the handle and lead to cracking and leaking as well. Take note of which brand you purchase to ensure you’re buying a quality product that will last for years. With replacing filter cartridges regularly, there’s no reason that the best water filter pitcher shouldn’t last for years.
- Overall Cost: The initial purchase isn’t the overall cost of the pitcher. The significant price is what the initial cost is plus the boost of replacement filter cartridges throughout the lifespan of the pitcher. If the pitcher lasts for 1 year but has relatively inexpensive replacement cartridges that must change every 2 months you end up spending more money than if you had bought a more expensive unit. Brita is known for having replacement filters which are cheap enough not to warrant purchasing another unit. Then you’re essentially spending the price of a new unit every 4 months, rather than opting for a model with a filter that lasts for 6 months or more. The price of filter replacement cartridges varies a lot, but always check the price of replacement cartridges before purchasing a water filter. For an overall quality cost, you should see an initial investment of maybe $15 to $50 and replacements in the $5 to $10 range. Usually, more expensive units have cheaper filters,and less expensive filters have deceptively more expensive replacements.
Do Water Filter Pitchers Remove Chlorine?
Some water filters effectively remove chlorine;however, most water filters remove a large percentage of chlorine. Chlorine is one of the most closely watched contaminants and is added through the city that supplies your water.
Every filter on this list can severely reduce the amount of chlorine in your drinking water. Usually, these levels see a 98 or 99% removal of unwanted chemicals including chlorine. But because carbon filters aren’t solid, they can’t capture all the chlorine in your water.
For complete chlorine removal look to reverse osmosis systems which use a membrane to eradicate all chlorine and heavy metals. The second-best option is alkaline filters which use a similar system to ionize water and neutralize the chlorine in the water.
Do Brita Pitcher Filters Remove Lead?
Like chlorine, most water filters remove a substantial percentage of contaminants, including lead. However, Brita specifically advertises their effectiveness at removing all heavy metals. So, how true is this?
Well, the Brita pitcher in your refrigerator can’t remove all the lead. Largely in part due to the activated carbon filter system some small percentage of lead can get through. However, this is true of nearly every water filter pitcher available, especially the best Brita water filter pitcher the Everyday filter.
The appropriate answer here is no, Brita filters do not remove lead. However, they significantly reduce the presence of lead. Because mineral deposits are targeted by carbon filters,the filter captures a large amount of the lead present in the water. Brita filters usually filter about 98% of lead out of your water.
Water Filter Pitcher Test (Video):
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Water Filter Pitcher:
This is it for finding the best water filter pitcher of 2018. Hopefully, we’ve provided all the information necessary for you to chose which is the right filter for your home. Always consider which features you require and which are only there to drive up the price.
Avoid unnecessary temperature gauges or filter change countdowns that indicate your filter is always a second away from dying. Instead, focus on the filter stages and filter medium that removes contaminants and improves your water quality.
High-quality drinking water is always the priority. Stick with the top brands mentioned here for durable and effective filters.