Reverse osmosis is a purification process by which water passes, by force, through a concentrated membrane. One side of the membrane collects and keeps the unwanted particles and contaminants. What passes through to the other side of the membrane is clean water. We’ve researched and reviewed the five top-rated reverse osmosis systems to provide your home with the purest, freshest drinking water.
What are the best reverse osmosis systems on the market?
✅ 1. APEC Water Systems ROES-50 Learn More
✅ 2. Home Master TMAFC Learn More
✅ 3. Waterdrop RO Reverse Osmosis Learn More
✅ 4. Express Water Reverse Osmosis Learn More
✅ 5. Aquatru Reverse Osmosis Learn More
Reviews of the 5 Best Reverse Osmosis Systems
1. APEC Water Systems ROES-50
APEC Water Systems ROES-50 Review: Best Reverse Osmosis System APEC has been filtering water for 20 years. The APEC ROES-50 proprietary WQA Certified 5-stage carbon-block filter and premium RO membrane filtration system removes up to 99% of contaminants. As both tap water and well water pass through each chamber, the result is nothing less than unlimited crisp, refreshingly clean, odorless drinking water.
Supreme engineering and technology make the APEC ROES-50 American’s No.1 best reverse osmosis system brand. Virtually trouble, and noise-free this system is easy to assemble, and APEC guarantees every system is leak-free. No leak detector is needed! All APEC systems include 100% lead-free designer brushed nickel faucets, plus food-grade tubing o-rings and parts.
The entire APEC ROES-50 5-stage water filtration system weighs 25 pounds and measures 16 x 5.25 x 17.5 inches. Easily installs under a kitchen or bathroom sink.
Warranty: 1-year standard APEC warranty; 2-year with product registration. Every APEC RO water filtration system comes with all parts, instruction videos, and easy-to-follow DIY instructions.
To watch the APEC Water Systems ROES-50 Review on YouTube, click here.
- Proprietary 5-chamber carbon-blocking water filtration technology
- Guaranteed to remove up to 99% of all contaminates
- Premium leak-free brushed nickel faucet included
- Consistent waste/sound of running water
- Questionable and consistent plastic taste after initial installation
- Only under kitchen/bathroom sink compatible
2. Home Master TMAFC
Home Master TMAFC Review: Best Under Sink Reverse Osmosis System Installing a reverse osmosis water filtration system under the sink should be as easy as setting it and forgetting it. Purchase a Home Master TMAFC with a 7-stage filtration system and expect innovation designed to remove 99% of Chlorine, chemicals, lead, and more. All Home Master RO systems are BPA and Lead-free.
Confidently install NSF Certified Components for safety and performance. Extra-large tubing and fittings let water flow at twice the rate of traditional RO systems. Home Master TMAFC makes upgrades and service a cinch with modular design and annual filter changes.
Attach the included beautiful chrome faucet to complement every kitchen and bathroom configuration and decor. And no tools and awkward wrenches are required for installation or filter replacement. It’s easy to see why the Home Master TMAFC is the best under sink reverse osmosis system.
The Home Master adds essential calcium and magnesium with its patented remineralization system and purification process. Highly pure mineral water on tap on demand!
The Home Master TMAFC RO water filtration system weighs 14.1 pounds and measures 20 x 13 x 16 inches.
Warranty: Home Master offers a 5-year warranty to replace or repair any parts.
To watch the Home Master TMAFC Review on YouTube, click here.
- Superior 5-year parts warranty
- Powerful Catalytic Carbon Filtration
- Continually disinfects incoming water
- Unusually high maintenance costs
- Unexpected and significant leaks
- Storage tanks empties rapidly
3. Waterdrop RO Reverse Osmosis
Waterdrop RO Reverse Osmosis Review: Best Tankless Reverse Osmosis System Waterdrop has mastered a three-filter RO system with precision accuracy and the ability to remove fluoride, limescale, and heavy minerals and metals. The system is easy-to-install design. Pure water can be flowing within minutes of installation. With two cotton filters, two carbon-blocking, and single proprietary DOW® reverse osmosis filters, fresh, pure water never tasted better.
One turn, handy-friendly filter changes mean no cranking and no tools. Super-easy maintenance, composite filter system, and tank-free design make the Waterdrop RO Reverse Osmosis hassle-free. Enjoy pure filtered water from the best tankless reverse osmosis system. Take back more space under the sink or counter! And save on water waste up to 300%. Anyone can get on board with the BPA and Lead-free Waterdrop RO, especially the monthly water bill’s savings!
Waterdrop is about the size of a videogame hard drive, measuring 18.06 x 5.68 x 17.76 inches. It weighs a mere 31 pounds. Each system comes with a well-crafted brushed nickel faucet. A lighted ring, built-in at the faucet’s base, changes from blue to yellow to red, indicating when the RO is working perfectly, when the filter is close to changing, and when it is time to replace it.
Warranty: 1-year parts warranty with registration.
To watch the Waterdrop RO Reverse Osmosis Review on YouTube, click here.
- First U.S. Smart RO system with composite filters and tankless design
- Activated coconut shell carbon-block filter for better tasting water
- Internal pump provides faster flow of fresh pure water
- Filter change countdown turned red every 3 months
- Rubber mounts crack and leak at the site of the faucet
- System only compatible with the included faucet
4. Express Water Reverse Osmosis
Express Water Reverse Osmosis Review: Best 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis System Express puts its name to the test; fastest delivery of fresh, clean water, immediate 99% removal of Lead, Chlorine, Fluoride, Arsenic, and more. The experience of what naturally tasting fresh filtered water should taste like from the source, at the tap!
Water travels through a sediment filter then flows through both a carbon block and granular carbon filtering system. At the fourth stage, the Express Water RO membrane focuses solely on the toughest contaminants then gets forced through a final activated carbon filter to remove all unnecessary tastes and color.
The built-in leak detection and stop detector automatically shut off the water flow if unwanted moisture enters the filtration system.
No professional installation is required, and the easy-to-understand design, labeled color-matched system allows for a quick-connect. And the express water reverse osmosis system automatically refills the water tank, so there is never a worry about not having fresh, clean, purified water. With all this technology, it’s clear that the Express is the best 5-stage reverse osmosis water filter system.
Weighing only 31 pounds and measuring 14 x 15 x 5 the Express gets fresh purified water flowing at 0.08 GPM for the entire family.
Warranty: Full 1-year warranty at the time of purchase.
To watch the Express Water Reverse Osmosis Review on YouTube, click here.
- Well-constructed solid brass feed adaptor
- Fast water flow of 0.8 GPM
- Proprietary 5-stage filtration system
- Filter replacement two times a year
- Inferior faucet quality
- Manufacturer unable to send replacement filters
5. Aquatru Reverse Osmosis
Aquatru Reverse Osmosis Review: Best Countertop Reverse Osmosis System Aquatru’s process of Reverse Osmosis spans beyond just filtration. Continuous scientific studies determine water quality and water safety; evidence of micro-plastics and over 82 toxic contaminants drives Aquatru to provide the best countertop reverse osmosis system. Filter a fresh, pure gallon of water in 15 minutes!
With just as much technology found in the larger under-sink and counter RO systems, Aquatru Reverse Osmosis has harnessed the power of a countertop RO water filtration system that is certified to remove up to 15X more contaminants than pitcher filters and up to 99% of toxins.
The sleek, compact design measures 14 x 12 x 14 inches, weighs 22.6 pounds, and compliments all home kitchens and office spaces. The quick-change filters last six months 24 months.
Warranty: Aquatru offers a standard 1-year warranty and a 3-year warranty for an additional cost.
To watch the Aquatru Reverse Osmosis Review on YouTube, click here.
- Removes 15X more contaminants than a water pitcher filter
- Easy to replace and affordable filters
- Stop wasting money on bottled water and recycling fees
- Hard to contact/resolve issues with Aquatru customer support
- Powered off permanently after 2 months
- Water leaks from the back of the unit instead of into the reservoir
*Reverse Osmosis System Review on YouTube*
2022 Buyers Guide to the Best Reverse Osmosis System
The popularity of reverse osmosis spiked because people prefer knowing that their water isn’t just “purified” but essentially cleaned. Whereas water softeners are intended to remove heavy metals, and water purifies remove some harmful chemicals, a reverse osmosis drinking system removes harmful products with a system that’s beneficial to your health.
People know that this process works and that it’s used by top brands to offer health benefits as well as hydration. Additionally, some water drinking systems will create an undesirable taste effect, but with the best reverse osmosis drinking water system, the actual quality and flavor profile should improve. To narrow in on the right ro system, here are three key points to consider.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Type of Membrane for Quality: Knowing the current level of quality that your water comes out of the faucet at will help you identify which membrane is right for you. For instance, if your tap water is chlorinated as most tap water is, you should use a cellulose triacetate membrane. These membranes resist chlorine more effectively than other membrane options. However, if you’re using well water, which may not have chlorine, you should use a TFC membrane. A TFC membrane guards against more bacteria.
- Installation: Many people don’t want to call a plumber for any reason, especially to install a simple reverse osmosis water drinking system. However, most reverse osmosis water drinking systems require a bit of confidence in DIY projects, home improvement, and handling tools. If you’re confident and have taken on minor DIY projects before, you can install a good system without issue. Where installation goes wrong is when the unit’s tubes, fittings, and faucet don’t work well together. Read through reviews to ensure that you’re not going to have mix-matched parts when you open your box.
- Stages of Filtration: Reverse osmosis water drinking systems rely on at least 3 stages to achieve the reverse osmosis process. However, many of these systems have 4 or more stages for additional purification. If you know your water quality is exceptionally poor, invest in a 7-stage system. However, if you are simply looking to increase the current quality of your drinking water a 3 or 4-stage system will work well. As you dig further into which system is right for you, the membrane may help determine how many stages of filtration you need. If the membrane caters to one issue in your water, you may need another filtering stage to address other concerns.
Is it safe to drink reverse osmosis water?
Yes, many bottled water companies use reverse osmosis to remove as many chemical, biological and metallic properties as possible before bottling.
Reverse osmosis removes unwanted minerals and chemicals which helps your water taste cleaner too. It also removes bacteria and viruses. There is no indication that removing any of these can cause adverse health effects.
Because many mineral and chemical compounds are added to our tap water, removing them restores it to its most simple form. Well, water, however, can encounter contaminants through the ground. Iron, arsenic, radium, sulfate, lead, copper and chromium are all known to infiltrate well water through the ground.
Using a reverse osmosis drinking water system and removing these hazards is a safer drinking option than leaving the water unprocessed or simply filtered.
Is reverse osmosis water the same as purified water?
Reverse osmosis is a process that coincides with purification, but they are different. Purified water takes well, or tap water then passes it through a few filters. Reverse osmosis is another process where the water is pushed in a direction opposing standard osmosis; this membrane creates a pressure which allows only water particles through.
In the end, reverse osmosis cleans the water more effectively than a series of filters. Most reverse osmosis drinking systems are highly effective but still, contain multiple layers of filters. These filters are before and after the reverse osmosis membrane to ensure that all contaminants, chemical or biological are filtered out.
Do reverse osmosis systems waste water?
Yes, unfortunately, reverse osmosis systems do waste water, and sometimes they waste a lot of it. Most reverse osmosis drinking water systems immediately dispose of the water which contains contaminants. When you have this type of system, you have no access to the water and lose complete use of it.
However, some models do offer the versatility sought out to use the unwanted water for other things. Many people use the water for gardening and cleaning. If you are concerned about the water waste, make versatility a top priority feature.
Final Thoughts on Buying a Reverse Osmosis System
With more concern than ever regarding Fluoride amounts, and the importance of adding minerals to drinking water, search criteria for RO systems have increased significantly per capita in Arizona, Michigan, Nevada, South Dakota, and Minnesota, states with questionable water sourcing and well water contaminants.
Before selecting the best reverse osmosis water filtration system for your home, consider the following factors. Locate the home’s water source to determine how your home’s water supply. It may come from either a water plant or a private well. Well water intake typically requires extra UV light and extra filters to remove living microorganisms, viruses, and bacteria.
Understand the water pressure forcing water through the RO. Determine the flow rate, how much water flows into the house. These two factors determine how many filters to use to decontaminate the water. Finally, consider your budget to get the best value out of your RO filtration system.
*Freshnss Values Transparency and Integrity*
Additional Water Filter Reviews
Whole House Water Filters
Whole House Water Filters for Well Water
Stainless Steel Water Filters
RO Systems for Well Water
Iron Removal Systems for Well Water
Ultraviolet Water Purifiers
Countertop Water Filters
Durastill Water Distillers
Under Sink Water Filters
Inline Water Filters
Faucet Water Filters
Refrigerator Water Filters
Water Filter Pitchers
Emergency Water Filters
Portable Water Filters
Backpacking Water Filters
Water Purification Tablets