If you’ve got a fridge with a water dispenser and ice maker, look no further than upgrading to the best refrigerator water filter to quench your water purification needs. Whether you’re a homeowner or a renter this type of filtration system is within reason, as long as your refrigerator comes with a built-in dispenser feature. These filters are designed to process your tap water and treat unwanted chemicals, and sediment. We’ve narrowed down the options to these five top-rated refrigerator water filters, as well as recommend a couple you may want to avoid.
Reviews of the 5 Best Refrigerator Water Filters, Plus the 2 Worst to Avoid
1. Waterdrop UKF8001 Refrigerator Water Filter Review
This inexpensive filter is the best on the market for Maytag, and Whirlpool appliances. A great number of Maytag, Whirlpool, and Amana appliances work well with this filter. The Waterdrop was designed to fit easily into most refrigerator water systems.
The Waterdrop UKF8001 Refrigerator Water Filter provides high-quality water purification, removing many chemicals and unwanted contaminants. Heavy metals and fluoride don’t stand a chance against this filter.
Because of its coconut carbon technology filter media, it can create purer water than most other filters. It helps your fridge too! By removing chlorine, rust, corrosion, unwanted sediment, and cysts, you maintain your appliance. The Waterdrop is also NSF-certified, or in other words, food safe.
The best part though is that this filter is so easy to install. It’s simply opening the compartment and popping it into place!
2. EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter Review
A bit pricier than the Waterdrop, but with a completely different set of advantages. The EveryDrop caters to most Whirlpool appliances and water filters. Although this filter isn’t limited to only Whirlpool devices.
This filter is also compatible with many different models of popular refrigerator brand name. Maytag, KitchenAid, and Amana all have various models that are suitable for the EveryDrop filter. Although the price is a bit higher than many of the available options, it’s still the best general refrigerator water filter available.
With its triple filtration, EveryDrop always delivers quality water right into your glass! It removes nearly all contaminants, although not as many as the Waterdrop. This filter also reduces the added chemicals in your drinking water. Many cities add fluoride and other chemicals to promote good dental hygiene.
There are many side-effects from long-term exposure to these added chemicals. The best refrigerator water filter is your first line of defense.
3. General Electric RPWFE Refrigerator Water Filter Review
General Electric is a well-loved brand in kitchen appliances. Their refrigerators are known to last for years without any loss in quality. Their filter’s meet this reputation! This filter isn’t the cheapest option, but it makes a huge difference in water quality. It’s the best General Electric refrigerator water filter available.
This filter specifically fits most of General Electric’s double-door style refrigerators. If you aren’t sure about compatibility, you can always find the model number inside your refrigerator.
The General Electric RPWFE refrigerator water filter is exceptionally light-weight, so there is virtually no risk of it popping out of its housing unit. Inside the filter is top of the line filtration technology. With high-quality filter media, you remove contaminants such as chlorine, lead, and other unwanted chemicals. No additional tools are necessary to change the filter, and it lasts for about 6 months with heavy use.
4. LG LT700P Replacement 200 Gallon Capacity Refrigerator Water Filter Review
Moderately priced, and easy to use! The best LG refrigerator water filter, and it’s cheap! This LG LT700P water filter has a huge gallon capacity and thoroughly purifies the water. It also removes odors and improves taste. An added benefit for anyone!
This filter fits most of the newer LG models and can eliminate the need for a water filter pitcher that takes up space inside your refrigerator. Installation is a breeze and doesn’t require any extra tools. Then after installation, it immediately begins removing most of the contaminants in your water.
Finally, this filter is NSF certified, which means you’re making good choices for your appliances and yourself! Bottled water just can’t deliver on this aspect, and you’ll find it is a waste of money when a filter is this affordable.
5. General Electric MWF Refrigerator Water Filter Review
Another General Electric filter makes the list! One of the best General Electric refrigerator filters available the MWF fits most of the new refrigerator models from GE. It protects your drinking water from asbestos, lead, arsenic, chlorine, cysts, and mercury. Cities add these heavy metals and chemicals, or they infiltrate the water through the ground.
While some people prefer the fluoride removed from their drinking water, there is some benefit to letting it stay. This filter does not remove fluoride, and you can enjoy the improved dental health benefits. It is also NSF certified.
The General Electric MWF filter shines with its versatility. It fits many different refrigerator models, so you may need to search around the inside of your refrigerator for its housing unit. Once you locate where it is supposed to go, installation in easy. There are no tools required, and it takes less than 2 minutes!
Avoid – Samsung Genuine DA29-00020B Refrigerator Water Filter Review
The Samsung Genuine DA29-0020B was once a great design. The many great reviews on Amazon are proof. However, in the last few years, the design of these filters has changed. While these filters still fit seamlessly into their system, the water doesn’t flow through.
Samsung and their parts company continue to deny that there were any changes to the design. However, this is an across the board complaint over the last 2 years. The possibility of a “bad batch” seems far beyond reason. Now their filters slowly leak into your refrigerator while refusing to process the water.
Avoid – Frigidaire PureSource Ice and Water Filter Review
The Frigidaire WF2CB PureSource filter sounds like a great filter. It’s from a well-loved brand, and when people hear “Frigidaire,” they expect quality. Unfortunately, these filters are notorious for the price tag and inconsistency.
Most noticeably, the water will alternate between crystal clear, and extremely cloudy. That’s when the filter is working at all. These filters drop from their system a lot, which dispels a lot of water straight into your refrigerator.
If you’re looking for the best refrigerator water filter, keep looking because this filter isn’t for you. The price tag is unreasonable for the quality.
2020 Buyers Guide to the Best Refrigerator Water Filters:
Refrigerator water filters are usually simple in design. They process your tap water through a membrane inside the filter. This membrane has exceptionally small holes which block chemicals, sediment, and other unwanted contaminants. Comparatively, refrigerator water filters are a low cost investment, when matched against something like an under sink option, a reverse osmosis filter, or whole house water filter system. And these simple fridge filters can make world of difference! As you focus in on the right filter for your home needs, keep these aspects in mind.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- The Right Filter for Your Refrigerator’s Model: There is no use in buying a filter that won’t fit your refrigerator. The best refrigerator water filter might not fit your appliance, and although it’s unfortunate, it doesn’t mean you don’t’ have many great options available to you. Search through your refrigerator to find the sticker with the model number. Sometimes this in on the inside of the doors or even behind the grill that is on the bottom of your appliance. Many manufacturers produce their filters, which is what is included with the appliance when you purchased it. Typically, the manufacturer made filters don’t last long. Instead, find a filter that is best for your brand. The General Electric filters you buy aftermarket are different from the GE filters included with your refrigerator when you bought it.
- Filter Media: Inside every filter is a form of media that the water processes through to purify. These strainers usually have a variety of activated carbon as their filter medium. Most companies use activated carbon because it’s shown to purify water of a high percentage of contaminants quickly and work for months at a time. It removes several chemical, and biological components and most of what cities add to their water. Then it improves the taste which is always nice. Very few filters are experimenting with different forms of filter media. But, the one to watch out for is the coconut carbon filter media. All the benefits of a carbon filter with increased purifying abilities! Our top pick the Waterdrop uses this technology, and it makes a difference.
- Lifetime and Price: Most refrigerator water filters last for 3 to 6 months, and this range associates to the quality of the filter. The higher the quality, the longer lasting the filter. These filters can experience heavy water needs. Remember that even a very high-quality filter needs regular changing to stay effective. It is best to change the filter right before the advertised changing date. The filter’s lifetime also depends on its size. For the average-sized filter, you should plan on changing the filter every 6 months, but for a large home or large families, this is probably closer to 4 months. If you have a hard time remembering you can set up a “subscribe and save” purchase through Amazon. That way you’ll know it’s time to change your filter again when your subscription order for your next filter goes through and comes right to your door.
Do Refrigerator Filters Remove Fluoride from Water?
This isn’t a simple yes or no question; many filters do remove fluoride. However, there are a wide variety of filter options available that do not remove fluoride. It all depends on your preference.
Municipal water companies, or the water companies that provide city water, add fluoride to promote good dental health. While many people don’t realize they’ve been drinking fluoride water all these years, most people who do know, don’t mind.
There are some benefits to the addition of fluoride in your water. But, we understand if you want this foreign chemical removed from your drinking water. Using a filter to remove fluoride will affect how the water tastes. So, fluoride-free water might take some getting used to if you haven’t had a previously filter remove it.
Refrigerator Water Filter Replacement Installation (Video Instructions):
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Refrigerator Water Filter:
All the water filter’s here are to reduce the volume of contaminants in your drinking water. Finding the best refrigerator water filter is easy when you know how to identify high-quality. These filters all provide a high-quality filter media, fit a variety of different refrigeration units, and offer average or above average lifespans.
Most of us take for granted the ease of a refrigerator with a water filter system. Forget about the water purifying pitcher and buy a quality filter for the water system you already have in your home!