Hot water in a household is used on a regular basis. To power this demand, the best electric tankless water heater is a popular option. It will meet your needs at a fraction of what you’re currently paying with a traditional water heater that is forced to store water to meet usage output. Sorting through the options between gas and electric tankless can be a bit daunting. We’ve researched and discovered the six top-rated electric tankless water heaters on the market, as well as two to avoid.
Reviews of the 6 Best Electric Tankless Water Heater, Plus the 2 Worst to Avoid
1. Rheem RTEX-13 240V Heating Chamber Residential Tankless Water Heater Review
After considering many different options on the market, we have concluded that the Rheem RTEX-13 is the best electric tankless water heater of 2020. This device features a perfect balance between affordability, features, and durability. In turn, this gives you the best value for your money, especially when you compare this water heater with some of the other models that are available. The Rheem RTEX-13 comes with a built-in LED display unit that gives you feedback on the temperature of the water that will be heated by the device and features a very accurate reading. A simple dial is installed on the device ensures you can easily adjust the temperature of the electric tankless water heater according to your preferences. This device comes with a copper system that features two heating elements, along with a power control with self-modulation features. Installation of the Rheem RTEX-13 is very easy, and the device comes with everything you need to get started.
2. EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater Review
Next up is the best EcoSmart ECO 27 electric tankless water heater, one of the more recent entries in the industry that offers more advanced features to allow for more precise control to be delivered over the entire system. This device is powered by a 240V input power port and features a 112.5Amp current setting. The EcoSmart ECO 27 comes with a patented self-modulation feature built-in, making it much easier to use this device during your day-to-day tasks performed in the kitchen. The device claims to save you as much as 50% on your current power usage for the heating of water. It has a built-in digital controller that allows you to easily set the temperature of the water that will be heated on the inside of the device. The EcoSmart ECO 27 features a compact and portable size, which makes it more convenient for the installation in smaller spaces.
3. Rheem RTEX-18 240V 2 Heating Chambers Residential Tankless Water Heater Review
This Rheem electric tankless water heater also deserves a spot on our list of the top option that is on the market in 2020. The device comes with two built-in heating chambers, making it more effective in producing warm water fast and effectively. The device features an LED display that gives you an accurate reading of the temperature that water will be heated to. Adjusting the temperature is easy through the use of the dial that comes installed directly underneath the LED display. The durable copper system on the inside of the device ensures the Rheem RTEX-18 will last for a longer time than many alternative options on the market. Installation of this device is very easy, but it does require a somewhat larger space than some of the other electric tankless water heaters that we have reviewed here.
4. SioGreen SIO14 Infrared Electric Hot Tankless Water Heater Review
If you are looking for the best whole house electric tankless water heater, then be sure to take a look at the SioGreen SIO14 Infrared Electric Hot Tankless Water Heater. This device contains no coils and features no corrosion. It is one of the most powerful options for individuals who are looking for a single solution that can provide hot water to their entire home, without the need for any tanks. The built-in infrared technology featured by the SioGreen SIO14 ensures that limescale will not give you any problems, which, in turn, helps to reduce the need for regular maintenance of the device. The installation process of this device is more complicated as compared to most of the alternative options here, but this is simply due to the fact that you will be using a single device to provide warm water throughout your house.
5. Bosch 7.2kW Electric Tankless Water Heater Review
The best electric tankless water heater under 500 on our list would definitely be the Bosch 7.2kW electric tankless water heater. This device has a convenient range of features that make it an ideal solution for your kitchen – whether you need the hot water to wash your dishes, prepare delicious meals faster, or any other reason. This heater is incredibly easy to install and comes with a complete instructional manual that ensures there may not be a need for hiring expensive professionals to do the installation for you. The device can be mounted in either a horizontal or a vertical position. It features a 98% efficiency rating and ensures that you can save a significant amount of money on your utility bills, due to not tanks of water that needs to be kept warm all day long.
6. Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus Review
For those looking for the best electric tankless water heater under 1000 that can give them advanced features that can suit more specific needs, the Stiebel Eltron Tempra may be an ideal option. This device features a power rating of 29kW and requires no tank of water that needs to be kept warm. Water that flows through the device can be effectively heated in an instant; thus delivering an unlimited supply of hot water to the user. The Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus features a flow control that is more advanced than the majority of competing devices, and also comes with built-in self-modulating features that makes the device more efficient when it comes to the management of temperatures. Users can also manually set temperatures according to their preferences.
Now that we have looked at some of the best options on the market, we want to tell you about the worst electric tankless water heater on the market. We have given it a lot of thought and done an extensive amount of research – our conclusion was that the Titan Tankless N-210 Whole House Water Heater System seems to be most appropriate to be listed here. While this device does have some potential positive traits about it that can help you deliver warm water to your entire house, we did find some problems with it. Firstly, the low price for a whole house system seemed suspicious. Additionally, this device is not as compact as some of the other models out there, which means you will not be presented with the same level of versatility should you decide to opt for this electric waterless heating system.
Avoid – Rinnai RUC90iN Ultra Series Condensing Tankless Water Heater Review
The final device on our list is another one that you should prefer to stay clear off. If you are seeking a good balance between cost and features, along with compatibility, then we advise you to avoid this electric tankless water heater. The first factor that you may notice is its price – over $1,000 for a single unit. The Rinnai RUC90iN Ultra Series Condensing Tankless Water Heater has a maximum flow rate that allows for up to nine gallons of water to be heated during a single minute. This device is a gas powered water heater and can be installed in an indoor setting.
2020 Buyers Guide to the Best Electric Tankless Water Heater
Washing dishes require warm water to ensure grime can be effectively removed and bacteria can be destroyed. You use warm water for food to ensure the water can boil faster, resulting in less cooking time. Buying an electric tankless water heater will give you instant access to unlimited warm water in your kitchen, laundry room and bathroom. There is no need to worry about having to maintain a full tank, and you get the benefit of lowering your power consumption. Before you make a final decision, there are some elements that need to be taken into account to ensure you buy the most appropriate device for your requirements.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Size of the heater: The size of the electric tankless water heater that you buy will play a role in determining whether it will be easy to install. Buying a device that is larger than space you currently have, means you will have to make certain adjustments. Adjusting for space can be unpleasant and even lead to additional costs – since you are trying to save money with an electric tankless water heater, you want to keep the initial installation costs as low as possible. We recommend first considering where you want to install the heater and consider the space you have available for the device, and then to start looking for a device that will fit into this space. Electric tankless water heaters vary widely in size, so there is sure to be one that fits into the space you have available.
- Maintenance required by the heater: Lower maintenance requirements equal fewer expenses for ensuring an electric tankless water heater can continue operating without any problems. While older models of these devices tend to build up substances within the device, such as limescale, newer models on the market tend to utilize special technology that helps to reduce the buildup of limescale within the system. In turn, this means you will not need to spend as much money on the maintenance of the electric tankless water heater as compared to an option that will constantly cause limescale to build up in the pipes. Heaters fitted with infrared technology is one example of how limescale buildups can be reduced, and maintenance costs can be lowered significantly. Even though these models may cost somewhat more than an older heater, they will provide you with better value for your money in the long run.
- Configurations offered by the heater: Some electric tankless water heater will come with a single default setting build into the device, while others will allow for the configuration of the system. It is essential to consider this option as opting for a device with only one single setting might be unpleasant when the water becomes too hot or when you find that the water that comes from the device is not hot enough. A device that offers you the ability to configure the particular settings, including the temperature that water should be heated to, will ensure you get access to water that is just the right temperature – not too hot and not too cold. This can be very useful when washing dishes and even when cooking, as warm water is something that we constantly use in the kitchen, but we may sometimes require different temperatures of warm water to suit the particular activities they will be used in.
What makes electric tankless water heaters more energy efficient?
One of the primary reasons why so many people are starting to switch from traditional tank heaters to tankless water heaters is due to the energy efficiency offered by these devices. When it comes to the time spent in the kitchen, there are different ways in which the installation of an electric tankless water heater can help you save money on your utility bills. Firstly, these devices only consume power when they are put into action – this means that, when the tap is not open, the device will be switched off. Since there is no tank full of water that needs to be kept warm throughout the day, it means much lower utility bills since a tank heater will continuously consume power. Additionally, also think about the time you will save during cooking – and, of course, on your electric bill at the same time. When you start off with warm water, your food can get cooked faster – this means your stove will be on for a shorter period of time.
Best Electric Tankless Water Heater Review (2020 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Electric Tankless Water Heater
Electric tankless water heaters offer many benefits over traditional tank heaters, with the primary advantage being the fact that they can save you a significant amount on your monthly utility bills. Knowing which devices work better than others is vital, so we offered a complete overview to help you buy the best electric tankless water heater of 2020.