Indoor or outdoor, high-efficiency, natural gas-powered tankless water heaters provide hot water on demand. We’ve researched and reviewed the five top-rated gas tankless water heaters on the market, as well as one to avoid.
What are the best gas tankless water heaters on the market?
✅ 1. Rheem RTGH-95DVLN Learn More
✅ 2. Rinnai RUC98iN Learn More
✅ 3. Rinnai V65eN Learn More
✅ 4. Eccotemp i12-NG Learn More
✅ 5. Camplux CM264NG Learn More
Reviews of the 5 Best Gas Tankless Water Heater, Plus 1 to Avoid
1. Rheem RTGH-95DVLN
Rheem RTGH-95DVLN Review: Best Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater Rheem knows a lot about tankless hot water heater construction and uses the latest technology in all of their products. The Rheem RTGH-95DVLN is no exception.
The Rheem RTGH-95DVLN is built to be 94% energy efficient, all stainless-steel construction, including condensing heat exchanger, combine to provide an endless quantity of hot water on demand.
Smart technology and intelligent electronic controls increase the energy savings, while Rheem’s exclusive Guardian overheating film wrap (OFW), EZ-link cables for higher water demand applications and a two-pipe direct vent system ensure safety while the unit is operating.
Weighing 79 pounds, and measuring 18.5 x 9.75 x 27.5 inches, the unit’s digital display indicates both temperature setting and maintenance codes simultaneously. A digital remote control is included so you can change temperatures and get a maintenance reading even when you’re not in front of the unit.
The Rheem RTGH-95DVLN includes Freeze protection to -30°F, and a self-diagnostic system allows for easy installation
One of the most impressive features of the RTGH-95DVLN is its high-altitude capability – up to 9,840 ft. elevation above sea level! There are so many reasons the Rheem is the best natural gas tankless water heater.
To watch the Rheem RTGH-95DVLN Review on YouTube, click here.
- Exclusive Guardian technology for added safety and super-high efficiency
- High-altitude capability up to 9,840 feet
- 12-year warranty on heat exchanger, 5-year warranty for parts, and 1 year warranty for labor for residential installations.
- Parts potentially missing in shipping
- Warranty not honored after installation
- Vague installation instructions prohibited startup
2. Rinnai RUC98iN
Rinnai RUC98iN Review: Best Tankless Gas Water Heater for Large Homes The impressive Rinnai RUC98iN uses condensing technology to increase efficiency and save energy, while consistently delivering the hot water on demand that you expect from a Rinnai tankless water heater.
The Rinnai RUC98iN is a great tankless water heater for large homes because it can heat up to 10 GPM. Your entire family will enjoy the benefits of continuous hot water.
This quiet, energy-efficient Energy Star rated tankless water heater adjusts with precision, so you never lose temperature or water pressure.
Even when multiple water sources in your home demand hot water simultaneously, the RUC98iN delivers reliably and accurately.
The thin dual-intake stainless steel profile measures 10 x 18.5 x 26 inches, while weighing 82 pounds, and the RUC98iN easily installs into any small space.
Change the water temperature within +/- 1° F using the easy-read Control-R™ 2.0 LED one-touch control panel.
To watch the Rinnai RUC98iN Review on YouTube, click here.
- Impressive, comprehensive manufacturer warranty
- Two unique ventilation options
- Compatible with the Rinnai Control-R™ wireless module and mobile app
- Limited to indoor installation with natural gas / outdoor with propane
- Model not currently listed on Rinnai website
- Several calls to a professional installer before unit ran efficiently
3. Rinnai V65eN
Rinnai V65eN Review: Best Outdoor Gas Tankless Water Heater From every angle, the Rinnai V65eN is an impressive gas-powered tankless water heater. For starters, it boasts a 20-year run time versus the standard 8-year life cycle of a tank-style water heater.
If you live in a cabin or mobile home in an area prone to sporadic inclement weather, you may want to consider this top-notch outdoor gas tankless water heater.
Since the Rinnai V65eN is about the size of a standard suitcase, it will save you approximately 16 square feet of space. The small footprint and on-demand technology is designed to use 40% less energy than a traditional tank!
This compact 50-pound unit measures 9.6 x 14 x 24.3 inches and can be installed indoors and outdoors.
Typically, when you wait for hot water to reach the shower, an average of 22.8 gallons has already flowed through the tap. Inside the Rinnai V65eN tankless unit, proprietary ThermaCirc360 technology recirculates the hot water through the home’s pipes, bringing hot water instantly to every faucet and appliance.
To watch the Rinnai V65eN Review on YouTube, click here.
- Compact design perfect for attic, crawlspace
- All tankless water heater parts are replicable and easy to swap out
- Limited warranty based on the model; extra coverage available if the product is registered on the Rinnai website within 30 days of purchase.
- Unit not designed to be propane compatible
- Necessary, but not included, extra temperature control part warranted for best results
- Several calls to a professional installer before unit ran efficiently
4. Eccotemp i12-NG
Eccotemp i12-NG Review: Best Indoor Gas Tankless Water Heater When Eccotemp considers what bells and whistles will make their gas tankless water heaters a standout to consumers, they build in all the important features and then make them even better.
The Eccotemp i12-NG is an impressive whole home, energy-saving, fully automatic temperature controlled tankless water heater. Rated at 3 GPM, with an ambient temperature rise at 1.5 GPM, this unit only activates on demand, and since it doesn’t use a pilot light to fire up the heating elements, you’re saving even more energy.
Eccotemp i12-NG measures 17 x 29 x 11 inches and weighs approximately 30 pounds.
You’ll admire the sleek and modern wall-mounted design. The easy-to-read LCD temperature display controls compliment the black tempered glass front panel.
With Eccotemp’s safety first built-in child lock technology and a solid stainless steel ventilation kit the i12-NG making it an excellent indoor gas tankless water heater option.
To watch the Eccotemp i12-NG Review on YouTube, click here.
- Field tested for use up to 5,500 feet
- Precision touch screen temperature control to +/- 1° F
- Eccotemp offers a 2-year warranty
- Unit does not meet “high demand” water requirements for larger homes
- Swapping this unit out may require many trips to the hardware store
- Manufacturer does not honor warranty for pinhole leaks
5. Camplux CM264NG
Camplux CM264NG Review: Best Gas Tankless Water Heater for Small Homes After 15 years of tested tankless water heater knowledge and technology under their belt, Camplux builds impressive gas-powered tankless water heaters. Camplux proudly boasts the CM264NG as the best whole home, safely ventilated, and perfectly designed unit for all types of living spaces.
Could it get any better? Yes!
The Camplus CM264NG uses innovative combustion technology to heat the home’s water, and the modern design includes a proprietary full-color, easy-to-read digital temperature display.
And looks aren’t everything. This Camplux gas tankless water heater is eco-friendly. Expect to save big on your energy costs. This tankless hot water heater delivers 2.7 GPM anywhere in the home, on demand!
Rigorously tested Camplux gas-powered tankless hot water heaters are built with flame-out, anti-freezing, over-heating and air flow pressure switch protections, to ensure safety at every level.
Camplux measures 12.8 x 5.91 x 20.28 inches and weighs 24 pounds, and with a small footprint, is hands down a reliable gas tankless water heater for small homes.
To watch the Camplux CM264NG Review on YouTube, click here.
- Plug in unit perfect for solar-powered homes and RVs
- Hot water at the source in 5 seconds
- Camplux offers a 1-year warranty
- Unit does not meet “high demand” water requirements for larger homes
- Shut-down safety timer on the unit can’t be disabled
- Cannot be installed above 2,000 feet
Avoid: EZ Deluxe Tankless
EZ Deluxe Tankless Review The EZ Deluxe gas-powered tankless water heater can provide enough hot water for a 1 or 2 bath home. The easy-to-use and read LCD control panel includes a unique constant temperature setting option for consistent hot water usage.
This slim wall-mounted tank has a sleek profile that makes it easy to install; saves space and weighs only 31 pounds.
From the start to finish of your shower and when running a load of clothes in the washer simultaneously, the EX Deluxe has the capacity to run up to 3.4 GPM with a 45 degree rise in ambient temperature.
You get perfect, consistent hot water control at the touch of a button! Set it and forget it never looked so good.
Built with a direct vent dual-chamber intake and exhaust system, the EZ Deluxe gas-powered tankless water heater runs cool to the touch, and you don’t have to worry about the unit overheating.
While the EZ Tankless gas-powered hot water heater looks good on the surface and boasts GPM numbers to deliver water to multiple sources in the home, the warranty isn’t substantial, the primary heating element is flimsy, and difficult to find and replace, and the overall construction of the unit isn’t substantial enough to rely on to deliver the hot water the manufacturer claims.
To watch the EZ Deluxe Tankless Review on YouTube, click here.
- High performance tankless water heating system for home
- EZ Tankless offers a 1-year warranty
- Easy installation with clear and concise instructions
- Manufactured solely for use in the United States
- Heats 20% less GPM than the manufacturer claims
- Paper thin” heat exchanger not compatible with the heater’s electrical components
*Gas Tankless Water Heater Review on YouTube*
2021 Buyers Guide to the Best Gas Tankless Water Heater
Gas tankless water heaters can offer you a number of significant benefits to help you save on your electricity bill and have hot water ready whenever you need it. There are a few factors that you need to consider before you decide to buy a specific gas tankless water heater. Let’s look at some of these important factors.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Size: The size of the gas tankless water heater you wish to buy will have a significant impact on its compatibility with your house. Before you consider buying one of these devices, you should first consider where you want to use the heater and determine how much space is available to fit the device into. Buying a device that is larger than the available space means you will have to make modifications to the area, which can add additional expenses to the installation of the heater and interfere with existing equipment and appliances that have already been installed in the area you wish to install the device. Remember that additional ventilation and other systems will also need to be installed alongside the gas tankless water heater – adequate space should also be available for these systems.
- Cost: The cost of the gas tankless water heater that you are interested in should also be taken into careful consideration. The prices of these devices vary widely – some devices cost less than $500, while others can be priced higher than $1,000. It is also important to note that the installation of a gas tankless water heater is somewhat complicated – there are additional systems that will also need to be installed. These costs are not included in the price of the heater itself. Consider your budget and make sure that the device and the installation procedure can fit within that budget. Also be sure to take a look at all of your options and avoid opting for a device that provides more features than you require – this would lead to additional costs that you have no use for.
- Capacity: Even though these devices have no tank where water is stored, as they instantly heat water on demand, it is important to realize that you still need to consider their capacity. Not all of these devices are equally powerful. Some gas tankless water heaters may be more appropriate for use in the kitchen, due to a lower capacity. In most cases, the capacity of these heaters tells you how much water the device can heat per minute – this allows you to understand how quickly water can be heated. A faster heating function is needed in cases where the device will be used in a shower, for example, to ensure an adequate amount of water can expel from the shower head continuously.
What are the main differences between electric and gas tankless water heaters?
When interested in buying a tankless water heater, whether a home or RV water heater, one of the first things you will notice is that you can choose between an electric or a gas model.
Both of these water heater types essentially have the same purpose – to instantly heat up water and provide you with on-demand hot water whenever you need it. This is done without the need to hold a tank that contains water and no need for a specific amount of water to be kept heated all the time.
There are, however, some differences between electric and gas tankless water heaters. An electric water heater depends on electricity, while a gas heater somewhat depends on a power source such as propane or natural gas. Gas heaters are considered to be a more appropriate solution in areas where extremely low temperatures are present.
Ultimately, the final choice between an electric or a gas heater often lies within the personal preferences of the homeowner, as some people are not very comfortable with using gas-powered appliances in their house.
Final Thoughts on Buying a Gas Tankless Water Heater
Electric water heaters have a flow rate 10-20% lower than indoor or outdoor gas tankless water heaters. For their efficiency and energy savings, tankless gas water heater models are a popular option.
If you’re ready to save some money on your energy bills, and get hot water flowing on demand to every shower and water-propelled appliance in your home, then it’s time to consider recycling any tank water heater and replacing it with a sleek, easy-to-install gas tankless water heater.
After that first instant hot shower, you’ll be glad you did!
*Freshnss Values Transparency and Integrity*
Additional Water Heater Reviews
Electric Tankless Water Heaters
50-Gallon Gas Water Heater
Electric Water Heaters
50-Gallon Electric Water Heater
Propane Tankless Water Heater
Tankless Water Heaters
Rheem Water Heaters
Tankless Water Heaters for RV