When searching for a top-quality 50-gallon gas water heater that is worth the investment, you have to take several factors under consideration. Flow rate, energy factor, storage space, and durability are some of the critical factors to watch out for.
In this detailed review, we’ll provide insights about the highest quality 50-gallon gas water heaters available on the market. We will be discussing a few of the most top-quality gas water heater models that you can purchase today. You can also go through the comprehensive buyer’s guide that points out some of the most important factors to consider when buying a gas water heater.
What is the best 50-gallon gas water heater to buy in 2021? We highly recommend the AO Smith GPVL-50 ProMax Power Vent Gas Water Heater, owing to its extremely high-energy efficiency and the fact that it is very easy to install. What’s more, it can easily provide ample hot water for a family of 5 or more people, and you do not have to worry about water running out soon!
We’ve researched and reviewed the five top-rated 50-gallon gas water heaters, as well as one to avoid.
Reviews of the 5 Best 50 Gallon Gas Water Heater, Plus 1 to Avoid
1. AO Smith GPVL-50 ProMax Power Vent Gas Water Heater
AO Smith GPVL-50 ProMax Power Vent Gas Water Heater Review: Look no further than this particular model if you are seeking a powerful gas water heater. The AO Smith GPVL-50 ProMax power vent gas water heater is by far the top choice 50-gallon gas water heater of 2021.
With a 0.72 uniform energy factor, the manufacturers have designed the heater for optimal efficiency, and it is Energy Star qualified as well.
It also boasts a 50-gallon water tank and a 40,000 BTU (British Thermal Unit) burner. This heater has the ability to supply sufficient hot water for a family of greater than five individuals. It can generate enough hot water for three simultaneous showers or one 33-minute shower. This heater features a hot-surface ignitor instead of the regular standing pilot ignitor. The former is considerably more durable and dependable, and additionally, it lowers energy consumption as well.
Furthermore, the heater comes with a six-year limited warranty and features a special sensor that can detect the presence of flammable vapors and disable the burner automatically to prevent ignition. Another great thing about the heater is the rotatable blower outlet. You can effortlessly rotate this outlet to fit three positions, making the installation process much easier.
Additionally, the heater has a two-inch thick foam insulation that is environmentally friendly and reduces heat loss. This leads to an overall boost in energy efficiency. The AO Smith GPVL-50 ProMax power vent gas water heater also includes a Dynaclean II dip tube that serves to optimize inlet water pressure and minimize areas of cold water within the tank.
To watch the AO Smith GPVL 50 ProMax Power Vent Gas Water Heater Review on YouTube, click here.
- Provides ample hot water
- Inlet and outlet heat traps ensure you do not waste energy
- Boasts a very fast recovery rate of 44.7 GPH (gallons per hour)
- Three-position outlet blower makes it easy to install the heater
- Generates some noise when exhaust fan kicks up
2. AO Smith XCR-50 ProMax Plus High-Efficiency Gas Water Heater Review
This model is another great gas water heater. One of its standout features is the blue diamond glass coating, which is a universal industry-standard glass lining. Corrosion usually tends to lower the lifetime of gas water heaters. This unique glass coating technology provides protection to the heater’s lining from corrosion.
Furthermore, this heater features the Dynaclean diffuser dip tube that helps in lowering the amount of sediment and lime build-up that often occurs with the passage of time. This leads to a reduction or blockage in the hot water outflow from the gas water heater unit.
Additionally, the AO Smith XCR-50 ProMax is specially engineered for PEX cross-linked polymer that is long lasting. Consequently, the heater supplies you with more heated water at each outlet. This makes it ideal for large-sized families that require maximum heated water.
Moreover, this gas water heater fulfills all current NAECA (National Appliance Energy Conservation Act) regulations.
To watch the AO Smith XCR 50 ProMax Plus High Efficiency Gas Water Heater Review on YouTube, click here.
- Water heating is cost-effective and highly efficient
- Enhanced technology systems
- Easy to install
- The initial cost is considerably high (owing to its premium features)
3. AO Smith GCR-50LP ProMax Plus High-Efficiency Liquid Petroleum Gas Water Heater Review
The AO Smith GCR-50LP ProMax gas water heater is the one for you if you need a model that can provide long-lasting value and lowers your energy bills as well. Very similar to the AO Smith XCR-50 ProMax gas water heater, the AO Smith GCR-50LP ProMax has a blue Diamond glass coating that offers enhanced corrosion resistance to glass lining (industry-standard).
Furthermore, this heater has an electronic gas valve (self-powered) that makes use of thermopile to produce power. The power helps control the electronic gas control without needing power from an external source.
Also, the AO Smith GCR-50LP ProMax gas water heater’s internal microprocessor provides users with tighter differentials and advanced operating parameters. This results in quicker heating response and accurate sensing. An additional advantage of buying this heater is that there are minimum sediment and lime build-up, courtesy of the Dynaclean diffuser dip tube.
To watch the AO Smith GCR 50LP ProMax Plus High Efficiency Liquid Petroleum Gas Water Heater Review on YouTube, click here.
- Included microprocessor ensures very quick heating response
- Meets all the NAECA standards and regulations
- Glass coating provides superior glass coating
- Fire hazard or damage might occur if you do not use this water heater properly
4. AO Smith GCG-50 ProMax Tall Gas Water Heater Review
The AO Smith GCG-50 ProMax Tall Gas Water Heater surely deserves a place in any list that compiles the best 50 Gallon water heaters.
Similar to both the AO Smith GCR-50LP ProMax gas water heater and the AO Smith XCR-50 ProMax heater, this model features a blue diamond glass coating that provides splendid resistance to corrosion thanks to its glass lining (industry-standard).
Furthermore, this model also has an internal microprocessor that offers tighter differentials and advanced operating parameters for quicker heating response and accurate sensing.
Additionally, this heater includes an electronic gas control that incorporates an LED status indicator. This indicator monitors service diagnostic and system operation.
Moreover, the heater’s anode rods feature a stainless steel core that prolongs the life of the anode rod. That allows better tank protection for considerably longer than regular anode rods.
To watch the AO Smith GCG 50 ProMax Tall Gas Water Heater Review on YouTube, click here.
- Lowers sediments and lime and that assists in providing maximum hot water
- Fulfills NAECA’s regulations and standards
- Perfect for households with high demand for hot water
- Not the power vent water heater
5. Westinghouse WGR050NG076 97-Percent High-Efficiency Gas Water Heater with Natural Gas Review
Westinghouse is a highly reputed company well known for producing highly efficient gas water heaters using the most cutting edge technology. The Westinghouse WGR050NG076 model is one of the 50-gallon gas water heaters that manufacturers have built as a tank-type, which makes use of condensing technology.
This particular heater’s unique design allows it to generate hot water with an incredible 97 percent energy efficiency. This makes it eligible for rebates and Energy Star compliance.Moreover, the stainless steel finish of this heater provides a very aesthetically appealing lookwhile ensuring that the unit has a long life.
Furthermore, the heat exchanger and the stainless steel tank also make the Westinghouse heater resistant to corrosion and maintenance-free. This is one of the most innovative 50-gallon water heaters on the market. By providing advanced electronics for easy diagnostics, control, and troubleshooting, the Westinghouse WGR050NG076 gas water heater model is among the most inventive 50-gallon heaters available.
You can also select an “eco mode” by controlling the temperature from the heater’s LCD display. The eco setting allows the heater to utilize a minimal amount of fuel, which saves costs and energy.
Although this water heater is powered by gas, a great thing about it is that it releases limited nitrogen oxide emissions. Thanks to its two-inch-thick insulation, the tank stocks heat and prevent heat loss by using less energy. It comes fitted with a combustion control system that keeps nitrogen oxide levels as low as possible.
To watch the Westinghouse WGR050NG076 97 Percent High Efficiency Gas Water Heater with Natural Gas Review on YouTube, click here.
- Flexible installation and lightweight
- Stainless steel design ensures long-lasting operation
- The LCD display is easy to use
- Occasional ignition issues
- Considerably loud
Avoid – AO Smith GDHE-50-NG Residential Natural Gas Water Heater Review
The AO Smith GDHE-50-NG Natural Gas Water Heater is definitely one of the least reliable 50-gallon gas water heaters on the market. Sure, many users consider it to be a novel gas-powered unit, and manufacturers recommend it for highly demanding applications, but overall, this heater does not provide sufficient bang for its buck. It would be in your best interest to purchase any other gas water heater, particularly the aforementioned models.
Despite the fact that this AO Smith model has several cons, it has a few redeeming qualities. For instance, the 129 Gallons per water First Hour Rating and high water flow provide enough hot water to run 3 or 4 showers simultaneously. Moreover, this model features a spiral heat exchanger that boosts efficiency and enhances heat transfers.
However, all things considered, it would just be best to steer clear of the AO Smith GDHE-50-NG Natural Gas Water Heater as its cons outweigh its pros.
To watch the AO Smith GDHE 50 NG Residential Natural Gas Water Heater Review on YouTube, click here.
- High energy efficiency (96 percent)
- Heavy-duty anode rods allow for better tank protection
- Short warranty and lifespan
- High front-up cost
- A tendency for the tank to rust quickly
- Installation is complex
- Flames sensor and igniter needs to be replaced frequently
2021 Buyers Guide to the Best 50 Gallon Gas Water Heaters:
If you want a heater that will last a long time, it would be best to purchase a unit that is made of steel, since the material offers high durability. Furthermore, engage the services of a licensed technician to carry out the installation. This gives you peace of mind that you won’t have to face issues due to poor water heater installation, which can cost you more in the long run. Here are several important factors to keep in mind.
4 Main Points to Consider:
- Durability: You need to be completely satisfied with the gas water heater’s durability. After all, you are investing a lot of money into it and should be certain that it will last a long time. Look for heaters that are fabricated with high-grade materials and components (such as glass coating or steel). This helps them offer extended durability.
- Energy Star: Make sure you only consider buying a gas water heater with an energy star. A 50-gallon gas water heater with an Energy Star can offer you around 15 % more efficiency than a regular heater model.
- Energy Factor: The EF (energy factor) determines a gas water heater’s energy efficiency. The amount of water heated per unit of fuel used over a day determines the heater’s energy factor. The efficiency of the water heater depends on the energy factor; the greater the EF, the more efficient the gas water heater will be. Hence, you should get a 50-gallon gas water heater with a high EF.
- Flow Rate: Most individuals inquire about various flow rates prior to choosing a gas water heater because this a very important factor to consider. The flow rate determines exactly how much access you have to hot water. Usually, it is best to have a high flow rate. Buying a gas water heater with a high flow rate means that you will have a unit that is able to deliver hot water to you every single time you want it to do so.
How Many Gallons Gas Water Heater do I Need?
If you only require a rough estimate as to what capacity you need for your gas water heater (size of the heater), you can follow these guidelines (these are the number of people living in your house):
- For 5 or more individuals: 60-80 gallons
- For 3-4 individuals: 50-60 gallons
- For 2-3 individuals: 40-50 gallons
- For 1-2 people: 30-40 gallons
Keep in mind, though; you can only use these numbers as very general guidelines. Hence, they might not precisely match your needs for hot water. For instance, a family of five or more individuals can very comfortably live on a 40-gallon water tank while a 2-member household may find that a 40-gallon tank cannot provide sufficient hot water for their requirements.
To summarize, the size of a gas water heater (number of gallons) is entirely dependent on your hot water-using habits.
Generally speaking, a 50-gallon gas water heater is the most popular choice and provides sufficient hot water for most families.
Gas Water Heater vs. Tank?
There are certain differences between tankless gas water heaters and models that come with a tank.
Unlike conventional tank-style water heaters that continuously use energy to maintain a hot water supply, tankless gas water heaters only burn up energy when you are using appliances or when you turn on a hot water tap.
Furthermore, in contrast to conventional tank-style heaters, the tankless model generates an endless supply of hot water, run a lower risk of leaking, consume less space, have a considerably longer lifespan and are relatively safer.
On the other hand, compared to tank-style heaters, tankless water heaters have a considerably higher upfront cost (installation and unit). Apart from higher upfront expenses, the latter also has a couple of other disadvantages, like taking a long time to deliver hot water and the inability to provide hot water during a power breakdown.
Best 50-Gallon Gas Water Heater Reviews (2021 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Buying a 50 Gallon Gas Water Heater
This dives deep into the data regarding the best 50 gallon gas water heaters available in the market today. Make sure that before you purchase a gas water heater, understand the features, pros, and cons before deciding if the model you’re considering aligns with your requirements. Furthermore, ensure that you take important factors under advisements, such as durability, flow rate, and energy factor, prior to purchasing the perfect gas water heater for your RV, home or office.