Our experts have researched and reviewed the best whole house reverse osmosis systems for 2022. Our top choice is the US Water Systems Defender. We’ll explain how RO systems work to remove up to 99.9% of harmful contaminants so you can find the ideal fit for your home.
Quick Comparison Of Our Favorites
99% TDS rejection
Very low waste water ratio at only 1 gallon for every 5 gallons making it more efficient over the long-run
More than 95% guaranteed TDS rejection
Pre-filtration system and sediment pre-filter
Offers a 5-stage filtration process that can filter 300 gallons of water per day
Very easy to install and great for home use
Contaminated water has been a longstanding problem in the country. Reports of people getting sick due to lead exposure from the local water system has been alarming, which is why more families are now investing in measures that will allow them to provide potable drinking water for their household.
If you’ve been looking for water treatment systems, you’ve probably stumbled upon reverse osmosis at some point.
In fact, it’s one of the most popular options on the market today because the reverse osmosis process eliminates harmful toxins in water including lead, arsenic, phosphate, and mercury.
Here, we take a closer look at the three best whole-house reverse osmosis systems that you can invest in for your home.
🏆 Best Whole House Reverse Osmosis System
- Best Overall: US Water Systems Defender Whole House Reverse Osmosis System Learn More
- Runner Up: Crystal Quest Whole House Reverse Osmosis System Learn More
- Best Value: iSpring RCB3P Reverse Osmosis RO Water Filtration System Learn More
Whole House Reverse Osmosis System Reviews For 2022
Watch US Water Systems Defender Review
Our top choice is he US Water Systems Defender Whole House Reverse Osmosis System. Considered one of the best whole house reverse osmosis systems on the market, the Defender by US Water Systems was designed to be cost-effective and long-lasting.
Made entirely in the USA, this whole house reverse osmosis system is capable of removing all types of water pollution including PFOAS, lead, arsenic, and thousands of other harmful substances.
It also features a 5-micron sediment pre-filter that protects all of its components from sand, sediment and silt.
This reverse osmosis for home has three filtration stages that guarantees up to 99% of overall Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) rejection while wasting only 1 gallon for every 5 gallons of water through the process, one of the best waste water ratios in the market making it very cost-effective.
The Defender even has an ultraviolet disinfection system that can kill waterborne and airborne pathogens. And if you want extra protection, you have the option to add pre-treatments like the Bodyguard Plus chemical removal filter and the anti-scalant injection system.
The system filters up to 5.56 gallons of water per minute and up to 8,000 gallons of water per day. With the 140 gallon water storage tank, the system can deliver water at 20 GPM so you never have to worry about pressure drops.
Since it’s made in the USA with industrial grade stainless steel housings, reinforced fittings, and a multi-stage stainless steel centrifugal pump, the Defender is going to last you for many years.
For an added layer of protection, US Water Systems offers a lifetime warranty on its storage tanks and a two-year warranty on all other components, making it a very smart investment.
- 100% built in the USA using durable components that can last for 20 years
- 99% TDS rejection
- Very low waste water ratio at only 1 gallon for every 5 gallons making it more efficient over the long-run
- Ultraviolet disinfection system for added protection
- Options on sizes and additional filtration features
- Requires a higher upfront investment than other systems
- Installation may require a professional plumber
At number 2 is the Crystal Quest Whole House Reverse Osmosis System. A close competitor of the US Water Systems Defender, Crystal Quest is designed for heavy-duty work, which is why it’s recommended for both residential and light commercial requirements.
The system comes with nine different flow rates to choose from depending on your exact water demands and is made entirely in the USA using only the highest quality materials so it can last up to 20 years if maintained properly.
The Crystal Quest reverse osmosis system offers the best protection against water contaminants because of up to 4 high-quality TFC reverse osmosis membranes depending on the size you choose, which guarantees more than 95% TDS rejection.
To preserve longevity, it includes pre-filtration treatment to extend membrane life and a sediment pre-filter to trap large particulates.
Using Crystal Quest’s SMART filter technology the system is capable of eliminating chloramine, chlorine, pesticides, heavy metals, herbicides, and other contaminants. It even has an activated carbon block filter to remove the bad taste and odor of water as well as other chemicals and organic components.
To add to these features, the Crystal Quest also enhances the alkalinity and water pH to make your purified water less corrosive.
The Crystal Quest whole house reverse osmosis can filter up to 4.86 gallons of water per minute and 7,000 gallons of water per day depending on the size. You can also add an atmospheric storage tank kit and other optional upgrades for better efficiency.
- Made with high-quality materials from the USA
- More than 95% guaranteed TDS rejection
- Pre-filtration system and sediment pre-filter
- SMART filter that eliminates thousands of contaminants
- Nine different flow-rates from 200 to 7,000 GPD
- 165,200 or 500-gallon storage tanks
- 12 months warranty
- UV sterilizer sold separately as an add-on
- Professional installation may be required
At number 3 is the iSpring RCB3P Reverse Osmosis RO Water Filtration System. If you’re looking for a whole house reverse osmosis water system that’s easy on the pocket, the iSpring RCB3P reverse osmosis water filtration system is considered one of the best budget-friendly options out there today.
Designed as a light commercial or residential reverse osmosis water filter, it is compatible with pressurized storage tanks, and it can filter up to 300 gallons of water per day given the right conditions.
Although it’s budget-friendly, the RCB3P doesn’t fall short when it comes to quality.
In fact, it boasts a five-stage filtration process that filters out up to 99% of hardness and over 1, 000 contaminants like calcium, arsenic, salt, lead, chlorine and asbestos, while also improving the look, smell, and taste of water.
But since the RCB3P is on the less expensive side, it doesn’t include a storage tank, although it’s compatible with most storage tanks on the market. This system is also only a series of reverse osmosis membranes, so you would need to purchase additional products if you need pre-or post-treatment for your water – like a sediment or UV filter.
The iSpring System RO System has a stainless steel frame and metal hanging basket making it a perfect fit for more compact spaces while making filter changes a breeze.
- Made with high-quality materials
- Offers a 5-stage filtration process that can filter 300 gallons of water per day
- Very easy to install and great for home use
- Features a free-standing frame to keep the equipment neat and safe
- Doesn’t include a storage tank
- Has high water wastage during the filtration process as compared to other filtration systems
- Additional features need to be purchased separately
Whole House Reverse Osmosis System Buyer’s Guide: Key Considerations
If you’re ready to shop for your own whole house reverse osmosis system, here are some important tips and tricks that should come handy:
How Does A Whole House Reverse Osmosis System Work?
A reverse osmosis water filtration system works by getting rid of sediment and chlorine from your local water using a pre-filter, after which it moves the water through a semi-permeable membrane that removes all dissolved solids from your water, making it potable and safe for drinking.
The water also passes through a post-filter treatment that helps to remove any bad taste and smell before it enters your faucet. Depending on the product you choose, your reverse osmosis system can be simple or complex with all its pre-and post-filter treatments.
Benefits Of Whole House Reverse Osmosis Filtration
Investing in a whole house reverse osmosis water system will let you enjoy these benefits:
- Point Of Entry System: With this type of water filtration system, you only need a single unit to make sure that your entire home is protected. A whole house system is installed at the point of entry for the main water line so all water coming into the home is purified.
- Most Effective Filtration: A reverse osmosis system is still the most effective way to filter drinking water, according to the Environmental Working Group (EWG) because it can get rid of up to 99% of contaminants. Drinking safe water will not only keep you away from certain medical conditions but it will also promote better health, especially for your skin and hair.
- Improves Taste Of Water: With your own whole house reverse osmosis system, you get to make your water taste and smell better.
Drawbacks Of Whole House Reverse Osmosis Filtration
There are some cons to a whole home RO filter to consider before making your decision:
- Expensive: Whole home systems are an expensive filtration solution. They start at $2,000, and can be over $5,000 for a larger home
- Wastes Water: The reverse osmosis system requires the RO membrane to be flushed clean after time. In this process there is waste water created that gets flushed down the drain with the brine water concentrate.
- Removes Healthy Minerals: Reverse osmosis is so effective at removing contaminants that it even removes healthy minerals. Thankfully there are a number of easy ways to remineralize your RO water if you want to add back healthy minerals.
Key Factors When Buying A Whole House RO System
When researching what the best whole house RO is, here are the key criteria to find the best fit for your specific needs:
Your Water Composition
Before you choose a water filtration system, it’s very important to know the type of water you’re working with, so you can choose equipment that can really filter out contaminants. It’s best to get your water tested beforehand.
To make your choice easier, you need to set a budget first, so you know what type of water filtration system you can afford. There are a lot of good quality products that will fit your budget, so there’s always something that’s within your budget.
The water consumption. Since different filtration systems have different capacities, you need to determine how much water you’re consuming every day.
It’s best to invest in equipment that wastes less water since it is more cost-effective in the long run.
It’s very important to determine how much water pressure your current system is capable of, so you’ll know if your reverse osmosis water filtration system will work or not. Most of these products require at least 40 PSI to be able to operate an entire house.
Storage Tank Capacity
Again, this will depend on the needs of your household. You can choose from small and big-sized water filter tanks, and you can also buy a separate storage tank if you need a bigger capacity tank in the future.
If you want to save money, you need to know how much your filter will last. In most cases, the more advanced reverse osmosis water filtration systems have filters that can last longer than their cheaper counterparts. It’s also very important to know the lifespan of these filters, so you can replace them on time and keep the quality of your water high.
Installation & Maintenance
Does the system include most of the components you need for installation? Or will you need to purchase many additional parts to complete the installation? After they unit is installed, how difficult will filter changes be?
FAQs For Whole Home RO Systems
Is reverse osmosis water good for you?
There’s a good reason why reverse osmosis is considered the most effective water filtration solution in the world—because it works. Reverse osmosis water is beneficial in many ways because it doesn’t contain any harmful contaminants that can pose certain health risks to your family.
When you drink pure water, you don’t have to worry about any impurities that could cause certain medical conditions. Filtered water also enhances the benefits of water to the body, especially in keeping your hair and skin healthy.
Are whole house reverse osmosis systems difficult to install?
Most whole house reverse osmosis systems are designed to be very easy to install, so you don’t need to hire professionals to do the job for you. With the purchase, you get easy-to-follow instructions that will allow you to put together your water filter system in no time.
But if you are going for a bigger water filtration system, especially if you’re installing a storage tank for the first time, then it would be beneficial to hire professional installers for the job.