If you’re one of the many people suffering from hard water around the house, you already know the common problems: dry skin, frizzy hair, scale buildup, and costly damage to appliances.
In this SpringWell Salt Based Water Softener System review, I’ll take a closer look at its key features and how it can resolve all those problems and more – with no drop in water pressure. We tested the system based on performance, price, maintenance, NSF certifications, and warranty.
SpringWell Salt Based Water Softener Best Overall
Guaranteed no drop in water pressure
Made with NSF certified components
Lifetime warranty and 6-month guarantee
How does SpringWell Salt-based Water Softener Work?
The SpringWell Salt-based Water Softener System uses a process called ion exchange to remove the minerals that cause hard water. During this process, the positively charged ions of the minerals are exchanged for the negatively charged ions of the salt. This process is repeated over and over again, until the minerals are removed from the water.
The system has a brine tank that stores the salt, and a mineral tank that contains the media resin. The water passes through the mineral tank, where the minerals are removed. The filtered water then goes into the brine tank, where the salt removes the minerals. The process is repeated until all of the minerals are removed from the water.
The tank is filled with resin that is removed in a sodium solution. The salt brine tank, which holds the sodium solution, is drawn from a pool of water known as the reservoir. The system regenerates depending on the hardness of your water and how much you use it, so it cleans the resin beads of hardness and resets them with sodium.
The SpringWell Water Softener is a top-of-the-line water softener system that is perfect for those who have hard water problems. It is one of few systems that use NSF-certified components so it will last for the long run. Best of all, it comes in 3 different configurations so you can get a tailored fit solution for your home.
- SS1: The SS1 salt-based water softener is ideal for use in bathrooms with 1-3 people. The 9″ x 57″ tank provides ample space for the 32K grain capacity. The service flow rate of 11 GPM provides plenty of softened water for multiple appliances and showers running simultaneously .
- SS4: The SS4 is a salt-based water softener that is designed for use in homes with 4-6 bathrooms. The unit features a 10 inches wide tank and a 54 inches tall tank (63 inches with head), and has a flow rate of 13 GPM.
- SS+: The SS+ is designed for use in homes with seven or more bathrooms. The unit has a 13-inch-wide tank and a 63-inch-tall tank. It has a flow rate of 20 gallons per minute and a backwash rate of 4 gallons per minute.
|SS1: 1 – 3 Bathrooms||SS4: 4 – 6 Bathrooms||SS+: 7+ Bathrooms|
|Softener Type||Ion Exchange||Ion Exchange||Ion Exchange|
|Tank Width||9 Inches||10 Inches||13 Inches|
|Tank Height||57 Inches||63 Inches||63 Inches|
|Flow Rate||11 GPM||13 GPM||20 GPM|
|Pressure||25 – 80 PSI||25 – 80 PSI||25 – 80 PSI|
|Temperature||36 – 120 F||36 – 120 F||36 – 120 F|
|Ph Range||6.5 – 10||6.5 – 10||6.5 – 10|
|Brine Tank Size||W 18″ x H 33″||W 18″ x H 33″||W 18″ x H 33″|
|Backwash Rate||4 GPM||4 GPM||4 GPM|
Key Attributes of the SpringWell Water Softener System
Now that we’ve gone over the basics of the system, let’s take a look at some of the key attributes that make the SpringWell Water Softener System a great choice for those who have hard water.
- Bluetooth Control Head and App: When it comes to controlling the system, the Bluetooth control head and app make it easy to do so. The app allows you to monitor the system and make changes from your phone, while the control head lets you make changes at the unit itself.
- Polypropylene resin tank: The tank is made of polypropylene resin, which is a tough and durable material. Additionally, the tank is designed to resist corrosion, making it a great choice for those who have hard water.
- Brine tank: As we mentioned before, the brine tank is 18 inches wide and 33 inches tall, making it large enough to accommodate a family’s needs. And, the tank has a capacity of 200 lbs., so you won’t have to worry about running out of salt.
- Installation kit: The system comes with an installation kit that includes everything you need to install the unit. And, the unit is easy to install, so you won’t have to hire a professional to do it for you.
- Lifetime Warranty: Finally, the system comes with a lifetime warranty, so you can be sure that it will last for years to come.
Do You Need A Water Softener?
The SpringWell Water Softener System is designed to remove the minerals that cause hard water, including calcium, magnesium, and iron. Hard water can cause a number of problems in your home, including:
- Dry skin: When it’s used for showering, hard water can strip away the natural oils in your skin, leaving it feeling dry and irritated. Your skin may even become cracked and chapped.
- Frizzy hair: Hard water can make your hair feel dry and brittle, and it can be difficult to style. And if you have color-treated hair, hard water can cause the color to fade.
- Stained clothes: Hard water can leave your clothes looking dingy and stained. It can also make them feel stiff and scratchy. Due to the build-up of minerals, hard water can shorten the life of your clothes.
- Dishes: Have you ever noticed a film on your dishes after they’ve been washed in hard water? That’s because the minerals in hard water can leave a residue on your dishes. And over time, that film can become etched into glass and ceramic.
The SpringWell Water Softener System can take care of all these problems by removing the minerals that cause hard water. In addition, the system is designed to be easy to install and maintain. It comes with a pre-programmed controller that makes it easy to set up, and the system doesn’t require electricity to run.
Installation And Maintenance
Installing the SpringWell Water Softener System is a relatively easy task that can be completed in a few hours. The system comes with an installation kit that includes everything you need to get the unit up and running.
Once the unit is installed, you’ll need to add salt to the brine tank. The amount of salt you’ll need will depend on the hardness of your water. To maintain the unit, you’ll need to add salt to the brine tank as needed and keep an eye on the pressure gauge. If the pressure drops, it’s an indication that the unit needs to be regenerated.
- Removes hard water causing minerals
- Includes installation kit
- No drop in water pressure
- Made with NSF certified components
- Lifetime warranty
- May need professional install help if not DIY inclined
- Need to add salt every few weeks
- May need to regenerate more often if you have very hard water
FAQs For The SpringWell Water Softener System
Are salt based water softeners better than salt-free water conditioners?
Both salt-based softeners and salt-free conditioners have their pros and cons. It really depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you have hard water, a salt-based water conditioner may be the better option.
Does this system work for private well water?
Yes, this softener system is ideal for private well water sources. Although it also works with city water, well water is notorious for harsh sediment and minerals that the SpringWell softener can remove with its ion exchange process.
Where are SpringWell Water Softeners made?
The SpringWell Water Softener System is made in the United States. The company has a manufacturing facility in Florida and an assembly facility in Ohio.
How long do salt based water softeners last?
The tanks and valves on the water softener have a lifetime warranty and a 6-month money-back guarantee. While the media in the tank can last approximately 10 years before replacing.
Do I need a water filter and salt based water softener system?
If your water source has heavy contamination, it is best to pair it with a water filter and softener combo. Salt-based softeners remove hard water minerals and some iron, but they do not treat harmful water contaminants.
Why Trust Freshnss?
Ricky is the founder of Freshnss and product reviewer specializing in water filtration, home, and kitchen products. For this review, he worked with our water review board of experts. And also with our network of industry professionals who offered water softener recommendations and the qualities that make the SpringWell stand out from the competition. Next, he researched today’s best whole house water softener systems, considering dozens of options from various merchants and retailers. He reviewed the SpringWell Water Softener based on softening performance, water flow rate, NSF certification, warranty, and overall value. He has also tested and re-tested some of our top picks, and looked for filtration companies for new home water treatment options worth trying.