If you’re needing some extra space these days to hold and preserve extra food items, it might be time to consider a commercial freezer. Whether choosing an upright single- or double- door commercial freezer, or a chest style commercial freezer, either option can help you save money, keep your food perfectly preserved, and many commercial freezers work hard and save energy at the same time! We’ve researched the eight top-rated commercial freezers.
What is the best commercial freezer to buy in 2020? After conducting our research, we stand behind the Arctic Air AF49 Two Section Reach-in Commercial Freezer. The Arctic Air AF49 doesn’t disappoint. It’s solidly constructed stainless steel cabinet looks fantastic and the built in high-powered fans, electric thermostat, external digital display and dependable compressor work harmoniously to keep your foods fresh and well preserved until you’re ready for them! Each Arctic Air AF49 must pass a minimum 13 hour inspection before it’s shipped to your residence or business and comes with a fantastic warranty too! Clearly the Arctic Air AF49 is our choice for the highest quality commercial freezer!
Reviews of the 8 Best Commercial Freezer Reviews
1. Arctic Air AF49 Two Section Reach-in Commercial Freezer Review
The Arctic Air AF49 is constructed with beautiful shiny solid stainless steel, inside and out to match all of your kitchen’s commercial appliances. High output fan motors help run the compressor and an electronic thermostat and external digital display let you know at a glance how this upright freezer is performing. Four 5” locking casters let you move the freezer to any corner of the kitchen. Simply lock the wheels when you’re ready to secure the freezer in place. 3 string epoxy coated metal shelves let you customize the interior and maximize your storage capacity. The two self-closing doors mean you never have to worry about the chill escaping or temperature dropping. And for security each door features its own lock and key. Rounding out the amazing features of this commercial freezer is the 1 year parts and labor warranty and a whopping 5 year warranty on the freezer’s compressor.
The Arctic Air AF49 double door has 49 cu ft of storage capacity and measures 82” high x 32” long x 54” wide, making it the ideal reach-in freezer for small restaurants and cafes. Weighing in at a solid 450 pounds, the Arctic Air AF49 comes with a 9’ cord, uses 800W, 120V, and 7 AMPS. Expect perfect temperatures between -10°F to 10°F because this commercial freezer meets all NSF 7 standards and each freezer is operated and monitored for a minimum of 13 hours prior to packaging and shipping. With all of this amazing functionality and quality care in manufacturing, it’s easy to see why we think this reach-in commercial freezer is the best commercial freezer of 2020!
To watch the Arctic Air AF49 Two Section Reach-in Commercial Freezer Review on YouTube, click here.
- Powerful high output fan application and compressor.
- Comes with a fantastic warranty.
- Minimum of 13 hours of quality operational testing prior to shipment.
- Company only takes pre-approved service calls.
- Warranty is only offered in the 48 contiguous United States.
- Doors prone to temporarily freezing to the cabinet.
2. Arctic Air AWF25 Single Door Reach-in Freezer Review
This beautiful upright freezer from Arctic Air is known as their economy freezer. It isn’t just made of solid stainless steel. This single door is also painted the most gorgeous shade of gloss white. The perfect eye-pleasing touch as a customer facing freezer behind the ordering counter, or perhaps placed in your French-themed bakery or cafe. And the white painted steel surface is also fingerprint free!
Arctic Air uses the same high output fan motor and easy-access bottom mounted compressor in the AWF25. The built in easy-to-read, digital display, electric thermostat lets you know at a glance how the freezer is functioning. ROunding out the features are four 4” locking casters and 3 epoxy coated adjustable and removable shelves. The door locks for safety or if you need to transport the unit across the kitchen.
Half the size and just as powerful the Arctic Air AWF25 features a 25 cu ft capacity, stands 78” high x 30” long x 29” wide. Weighing in at 250 pounds this 4 AMP, 600W, 120V powerhouse also comes with a 9’ cord and lives up to it’s “Arctic” name, with a varying temperature range between -7°F – 0°F. The 1 year parts and labor warranty and the amazing 5 year warranty on the freezer’s compressor makes this unique and beautiful commercial reach-in freezer not only a real looker, and best single door upright freezer in terms of performance, but also the best commercial freezer on a budget!
To watch the Arctic Air AWF25 Single Door Reach-in Freezer Review on YouTube, click here.
- Beautiful fingerprint-free glossy white painted cabinet door.
- Generous warranty.
- Economy-sized freezer matches full-sized freezer functionality.
- Poor insulation.
- Consumers reported smaller cu ft capacity than advertised.
- High dollar investment.
3. Kitma Commercial Top Chest Freezer 9.6 Cu Ft Deep Ice Cream Freezer with Adjustable Thermostat Review
The Kitma Commercial Top Chest Freezer boasts 2 durable interior baskets to store the foods you need to collect quickly or for transporting inside when it’s time to restock the kitchen freezer. The lid is filled with an environmentally friendly polymer foam insulation and is hinged to stay open for hands-free, easy access and product rotation. The compressor is virtually silent and keeps the freezer from vibrating and requires no Freon. Kitma uses R404A refrigerant for the ultimate in temperature retention and structural strength, however R404A is not environmentally friendly nor is it commercially acceptable or used to manufacture newer model chest freezers.
The Kitma has a 9.9 cu ft capacity, and measures 40.5 x 26.5 x 32.5 inches. It weighs only 106 pounds, uses 115V and holds temperatures between -10°F to 1°F. Kitma offers a standard 1 year warranty on parts and labor and requires manual defrosting which limits the amount of time your frozen inventory can be out of the freezer for cleaning and maintenance.
To watch the Kitma Commercial Top Chest Freezer 9.6 Cu Ft Deep Ice Cream Freezer with Adjustable Thermostat Review on YouTube, click here.
- Silent operation, no vibration.
- No Freon required.
- Very low energy consumption.
- Many consumers complain that new freezers arrived damaged.
- Limited product availability due to COVID-19.
- Non-environmentally safe R404A refrigerant is prohibited in new and pre-existing freezers.
- Unimpressive warranty.
- Manual defrost.
4. Dukers WD-500Y 17.6 Cu Ft Commercial Chest Freezer Review
If you remember glaring into a white metal box, packed full of frozen treats at the local market when you were a kid, the Dukers WD-500Y is reminiscent of the chest freezer which welcomed you on hot summer days when ice cream came calling! The beautiful curved UV-filtered glass domed lid seals and insulates this chest freezer for extra protection of your frozen foods and desserts. The smooth glide glass tempered doors slide horizontally and the fan-assisted condenser wraps your frozen inventory in an icy chill between -8°F to 0°F. Bumper bars are installed around 3 edges to protect the cabinet from scrapes and dents.
Dukers uses R290, aka CARE® propane grade refrigerant for low environmental impact and “excellent thermodynamic performance.” The adjustable analog temperature dial and large manual defrost port, make this chest freezer easy to maintain and clean.
Weighing in at 170 pounds, with a generous 17.6 cu ft capacity, and using only 300W, 110V, a mere 0.3kWh, and a ⅓ horsepower compressor, the Dukers WD-500Y comes standard with a “plug-and-play” NEMA 5-20P plug to get you up and running quickly. The cabinet measures 56 ⅛” x 29 ⅝” x 33 ⅛”. 4 generous poly-coated baskets measuring 21.5” x 11” x 6” keep your frozen foods and treats organized or lift out for maximum chest freezer type storage or for transporting your inventory. To top it off, Dukers offers a commercial warranty with 2 years on parts and labor and a whopping 5 year warranty on the compressor.
To watch the Dukers WD-500Y 17.6 Cu Ft Commercial Chest Freezer Review on YouTube, click here.
- Fantastic commercial warranty.
- Energy efficient.
- R290 low environmental impact refrigerant.
- NEMA 5-20P plug-and-play outlet plug.
- No residential warranty (be sure to recognize this fact before purchase).
- Limited functionality than a commercial chest/upright freezer.
5. Dukers D55F 40.7 Cu Ft 2-Door Commercial Freezer Review
Dukers manufactures the D55F commercial freezer with solid stainless steel construction inside and out for durability and dependability. The easy-to-read LED digital thermometer display uses pinpoint temperature technology to within 1 degree. Eight poly-coated adjustable shelves let you decide how to configure and reconfigure your frozen inventory, and four 5” locking casters keep the D55F firmly in place. Beautiful interior lighting design illuminates the contents of the freezer when the doors are opened.
The Dukers D55F weighs 465 pounds and measures 55 ⅛” x 32 ⅝” x 80 ⅜” has a 40.74 cu ft capacity and holds perfect temperatures between -8°F to 0°F. The D55F uses 115V, 14 AMPS, and 1250W of power and comes standard with a lengthy 9’ cord and NEMA 5-20P plug. A powerful 1 ⅓ horsepower compressor is bottom mounted to the freezer’s cabinet. The D55F uses environmentally-friendly R290 refrigerant, and you can count on Dukers commercial freezer products to comply with all UL and NSF standard inspection and safety requirements. Expect the fantastic 2 year warranty on parts and labor and a 5 year warranty on the compressor.
To watch the Dukers D55F 40.7 Cu Ft 2-Door Commercial Freezer Review on YouTube, click here.
- Great warranty.
- Solid stainless steel construction inside and out.
- Powerful hard-working compressor.
- Uses environmentally-friendly R290 refrigerant.
- Manufacturer does not offer install and removal of old commercial freezer.
- Manual Defrost.
6. Peak Cold 2 Door Commercial Stainless Steel Freezer Review
Peak’s 2-door reach-in commercial freezer has a 47 cu ft capacity, and is manufactured with solid stainless steel and features a bright white, painted aluminum interior. Lights turn on when the doors are opened and are self-closing so you can walk away with your hands full and not worry about door gaps and temperature drops. 6 heavy-duty PVC-coated shelves help keep your inventory neatly organized and the specially-designed “no stoop” bottom shelf allows you to load products without having to crouch to the floor. An easy-to-read digital temperature control features a unique automatic defrost timer and digital error codes to help you “diagnose service issues,” and comes standard with four 5” locking casters.
Peak uses R290 earth-friendly hydrocarbon refrigerant, and houses easy-access high quality copper coils and compressor at the base of the cabinet so maintenance is a breeze. Expect perfect temperature control between 0°F to 8°F from this commercial freezer as well as a 1 year warranty on parts and labor and a 5 year warranty on the copper coils and compressor. The Peak measures 54” W x 32.2” D x 82.5” L, uses 115V and is tested to all ETL and NSF certifications prior to shipping.
To watch the Peak Cold 2 Door Commercial Stainless Steel Freezer Review on YouTube, click here.
- Quality product testing.
- Environmentally friendly refrigerant.
- Self-closing doors.
- Digital diagnostic error codes.
- No-stoop bottom shelf.
- High dollar investment.
- No customer reviews.
7. Kalifon Commercial Undercounter Freezer 7.4 Cu Ft Stainless Steel Review
To say the Kalifon 7.4 cu ft commercial undercounter freezer works as hard as it’s larger competitors is putting it mildly. This little aluminum box is constructed inside and out with quality stainless steel and packed with foamed polymer insulation to maintain perfect temperatures between -8°F to 0°F. The four large smooth rolling casters are permanently mounted to the base of the cabinet and the one solid removable shelf has a remarkable 155# load capacity. The insulated door comes with a quality lock and 2 keys, and swings open for easy access. The quality rubber seal around the perimeter of the door adheres to the cabinet upon closing the door to allow for a perfect airtight seal and protect the unit from temperature drops.
Kalifon proudly passes the savings on to its customers and cuts no corners with the compressor and evaporator. The world-renowned Embraco compressor uses a mere ¼ horsepower and is built using forward-thinking technology. Embraco uses only copper tubing for the condenser and evaporator to help maintain precision temperature stability and offer its customers 10 year no part replacement guarantee. To help you maintain the perfect temperatures, the CAREL one-touch temperature controller lets you set the chill within one degree up or down and unique to this mighty mini, programmable defrost frequencies let you defrost with product in the cabinet and not spoil your inventory. All Kalifon products are backed up by stellar customer support, are ETL certified and come with a 3 year compressor warranty and 1 year parts and labor warranty.
To watch the Kalifon Commercial Undercounter Freezer 7.4 Cu Ft Stainless Steel Review on YouTube, click here.
- Programmable defrost frequencies.
- Excellent customer support.
- Quality CAREL digital temperature controls.
- World renowned Embraco compressor.
- No cons to list.
8. Chefs Exclusive Commercial 8 Flavor Frost Free Ice Cream Dipping Cabinet Case Sub Zero Freezer Review
This attractive ice cream freezer from Chef’s Exclusive features a quality heat reflective 2.5” thick tempered, rounded glass canopy, bright LED interior lights, sliding horizontal locking glass doors, 6 3 gallon ice cream tub holders and skirts, removable cabinet bumper guards, tempered glass sneeze guard, and a bottom cabinet defrost drain. An impressive wide-range manual thermostat control lets you choose temperatures between -18°F to 10° F and the cabinet is frost free, which saves you a lot of time and effort in regards to service and maintenance.
The cabinet with canopy measures 51.8” x 27” x 53” and has a 14.0 cu ft capacity. Uses 4 AMPS, 120V. Certified UL and NSF with a 1 year warranty on parts and labor and a 5 year warranty for the compressor.
To watch the Chefs Exclusive Commercial 8 Flavor Frost Free Ice Cream Dipping Cabinet Case Sub Zero Freezer Review on YouTube, click here.
- Sub zero temperatures.
- Quality heat resistant tempered glass.
- Interior lighting.
- Wide range temperature control.
- High dollar investment.
- Freezer-only glass canopy storage issues.
- Improper horizontal sliding door seal/temperature drop issues.
2020 Buyers Guide to the Best Commercial Freezer Reviews
So, you’ve chosen to purchase a commercial freezer. Whether you decide to go with an upright or a chest style freezer, there are some important factors to consider. For many, the inventory inside the freezer equates to profit, safeguarding food products, and let’s face it you want to preserve your food for as long as possible. Consider these 3 important factors when purchasing a commercial freezer.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Warranty – We can’t stress enough how important a good warranty is when purchasing a commercial freezer. Ideally, you want to plug the freezer in, turn the freezer on, set the perfect temperature, pack it full of inventory, and walk away and let the commercial freezer do what it does best: preserve food. Make sure the compressor and condenser are backed by a minimum of at least a 3 year warranty and that an additional warranty is included to cover parts and labor. Most quality compressors use expensive parts, and labor can be expensive too. Never try to fix a commercial freezer compressor without first consulting with a professional. If something in the compressor should fail, having a solid warranty gives you peace of mind.
- Power Usage / Loss – This is really two factors in one, but they go hand in hand. Larger commercial freezers can use a lot of energy. It is important to know what you’re plugging into the wall and if the outlet you’re plugging the freezer into is strong enough to take the output the freezer is feeding it. Blowing a circuit or the compressor due to an inadequate power source can cost you the entire inventory inside your freezer and may warrant a new compressor, which if blows due to a power surge, may not be covered under warranty. And if there is a loss of power and the commercial freezer shuts off, it is super important to know how long the inventory inside the freeze will last with the doors closed. Most commercial freezers will hold accurate temperatures for 48 hours with the doors closed. But do your homework, how the commercial freezer is insulated is key to internal food preservation should there be a loss of power.
- Investment – This is a relatively simple factor to consider. So, ask yourself: What products are you freezing, and how much inventory needs to be kept frozen at one time? Can they be mixed together at one holding temperature? If you’re in for the long haul, consider making a significant investment and buy a quality commercial freezer that is dependable and worry-free. There is a difference between freezing and deep freezing and not all foods take to the same arctic temperatures. For example, ice cream is happy at temperatures below -6°F, while meat prefers 0°F. Of course, freezing at 0°F is ideal as it inactivates the microbes in all foods, but knowing how much of a certain food item you’re freezing, how well you’re preserving those items, and if they will get along frozen at one particular temperature is important to achieve maximum preservation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What is a commercial freezer?
Mainly used by business owners, commercial freezers are small or large insulated machines usually constructed of stainless steel or other durable non-corrosive metals. Commercial freezers are specifically designed to hold and preserve food inventory at set temperatures at or below 0°F. Some commercial freezers are designed as upright reach-in models, while others, known as chest freezers are shaped like a box with a hinged lid at the top.
How do you defrost a commercial freezer?
To keep a commercial freezer running at optimal temperature, the freezer must run several defrost cycles throughout the day to keep important parts from crusting over with built up ice, or frost. A commercial freezer with automatic defrost shuts off the compressor and allows the cooling fans to keep running. The circulating air from the fans works to melt and frost build up and keeps the cooling coils functioning properly and the condenser or processor from overheating. Commercial freezers with an auto defrost mechanism typically defrost the unit 3-4 times a day. Some commercial freezers don’t have the auto defrost feature and require a manual defrost. This action requires manually opening the freezer, sometimes removing the contents, and then running a hair dryer or fan, placing hot metal bowls on the coils or sometimes, if the frost build up is too thick, unplugging the freezer altogether, leaving the door open and letting the frost melt by itself. Choosing a commercial freezer with a manual defrost option is labor intensive but usually the freezer is less noisy and less expensive than commercial freezers featuring the auto defrost feature.
Best Commercial Freezer Reviews (2020 Buyers Guide)
Final Thoughts on Buying a Commercial Freezer
Food is an expense that only pays for itself when there is an equal amount of preservation, storage and consumption. To help save you money, commercial refrigerators and commercial freezers take the hassle and worry out of wondering where to put your food inventory to keep it safe and fresh. To help save you time, commercial freezers are technologically designed to take the guesswork out of the preservation process. And for peace of mind, when you want to preserve your food safely and responsibly, it just makes sense to invest in a reliable appliance with the long term in mind.