Wouldn’t you love to add storage and free up space in your kitchen with the best undercounter freezer on the market? A regular refrigerator usually takes up a bulk of kitchen real estate. When you add an undercounter freezer, it frees up precious kitchen space and allows your family to carry more frozen items. We’ve researched and discovered the eight top-rated undercounter freezers of 2018, as well as the worst one to avoid.
Reviews of the 8 Best Undercounter Freezer, Plus the Worst One to Avoid
1. Magic Chef Upright Freezer Stainless Steel Review
The Magic Chef Upright Freezer is stylish with a stainless steel door and black cabinet. The freezer which is the size of a mini fridge would be perfect if you’re looking to create more room in your kitchen. The freezer has 3 shelves which you will use to store your items. With an adjustable temperature control feature, you can choose the temperature you wish to keep your foods and drinks.
The fridge is quiet so you don’t have to worry about it give that annoying noise some freezers have. The freezer is easy to clean and can be defrosted manually. If you’re looking for a new freezer that will fit right into your kitchen this product is worth checking out.
2. Danby Upright Freezer Review
This freezer has an energy star rating. That means it is energy efficient and will help in cutting the costs of your electricity bills should you purchase it White in color the Danby Upright Freezer would be a great addition to your cottage, trailer or apartment. The freezer has enough room and its three shelves offer enough space to place your products.
Its door is reversible so you can easily adjust it to open on the left or right side. When you buy it the freezer comes with an 18 month warranty and should it develop problems you can easily get in-home service. If you’re looking for more freezer storage but you have limited space in your kitchen get this product.
We consider it the best residential undercounter freezer.
3. Midea Compact Single Reversible Door Upright Freezer Review
The manufacture of this product Midea is an internationally recognized brand that has been manufacturing high-quality appliances for 50 years now. With the Midea Compact Single Reversible Door Upright Freezer, they did quite well and we vote this the best undercounter freezer of 2018.
The freezer is made from stainless steel and comes in color white. It also has a reversible door that can open from the left or right, it’s up to you to decide which side you prefer. Inside the freezer are two fixed shelves and a removable wire drawer for you to put your frozen dinners, ice cream and so on.
If you’re concerned about energy cost you will be glad to know this freezer has the energy star rating which makes it energy efficient. If you’re also concerned about noise this freezer has a whisper quiet compressors that keeps it silent. This product comes with a one year warranty and is excellent for small kitchens, family rooms, or anywhere you want to keep beverages and snacks.
4. Energy Star Upright Freezer Stainless Steel by SPT Review
Like other models reviewed this freezer has several similar features. This includes a reversible door, it is energy efficient, is quiet, is made from stainless and has 3 pull out baskets for you to freeze your foods. The freezer also allows you to set it to your desired temperature.
If you have a big freezer but don’t use it much you can switch to this smaller freezer which the manufacturers say should only cost you $29 a year to run. If that’s not a great incentive to buy the Energy Star Upright Freezer I don’t know how else to convince you to purchase it. With this freezer, you can lock it if you don’t want anyone else opening it.
5. Stainless Steel Undercounter Ice Maker with Freezer by Sunpentown Review
The hot summers can get you wanting a lot of cold drinks. This freezer has an ice maker which will give you enough ice to make cold drinks for you and your families throughout summer or any other time you feel like it. The Stainless Steel Undercounter Ice Maker with Freezer by Sunpentown which can fit under most countertops produces up to 12 pounds of ice daily. Its removable bin can hold 6 pounds of ice and when it is full the ice maker auto shuts. This is in our opinion the best undercounter freezer with an ice maker.
With a stainless steel door and a black cabinet, it comes with a one year warranty. You might not use the warrant anytime soon should you purchase this ice maker. Buyers of the product who have reviewed it and say it is built to last so hopefully it should serve you as well for years.
6. Whynter Energy Star Upright Freezer Review
If you’re looking for a premium product for your home, office or yacht this is it. The product made from stainless steel is good to look at because of its good design and finishing. The features include a stainless steel reversible swing door, two shelves which are removable for easy cleaning and a lock for securing of contents.
You can set the temperatures to between -10 – 2 F. This upright freezer is also energy star rated, this will allow you to keep your ice cream or meat frozen at a reduced energy cost. The estimated yearly electricity use is 228 kWh.
Looking at the Whynter Energy Star Upright Freezer you might think it will not be able to store much. You will be surprised should you purchase it that it can hold at least a month’s worth of frozen food.
7. Undercounter Freezer in Stainless Steel by Dukers Appliance USA Review
All the previous freezer we have reviewed have single doors. This one is a two door freezer so if you are looking for something bigger to freeze items this would be ideal. Made from brushed stainless steel this product is spacious with a 12.2 cubic feet capacity.
You can control temperatures to be between 0 to -8°F. The digital temperature controls on the Undercounter Freezer in Stainless Steel by Dukers Appliance USA make it easy for you to do your temperature adjustment.
A feature that you will definitely like is the products automatic defrosting. When you buy a freezer you should get one with a warrant. This one comes with two of them, a 3year parts and labor warranty and 5year compressor warranty.
8. Igloo FRF110 Vertical Freezer Review
If you have very little space and must have a freezer this product from Igloo will be the perfect buy. The freezer has 1.1 cubic feet of interior space which is enough to fit and keep your lunch or dinner frozen. The two shelves it has also help you keep your products well organized in the freezer. For temperature, you can adjust this to your like.
Like other freezers, the Igloo FRF110 Vertical Freezer has a reversible door and is quiet meaning it can be used in office, dorm room or wherever you wish to have a freezer. The product’s design is simple and attractive and it will freeze your products fast once you store them in it.
Avoid – Avanti Side by Side Refrigerator Freezer Review
You have read about the best freezers on the market now we want to inform you of one particular freezer you should avoid. The problems with this freezer will start right from the time it is delivered to your home. The product might come poorly packaged and with some parts missing like the shelves. Once you start using it may take a lot of time before it starts having your desire freezing temperature. The space in the undercounter refrigerator may also be too small for most food or drinks to fit. If that’s not bad enough the Avanti Side by Side Refrigerator Freezer may not last long it may break down a few months after buying it. For all these reasons we think it is the worst undercounter freezer on the market.
2018 Buyers Guide to the Best Undercounter Freezer
An undercounter freezer can help you create more room in your kitchen, reduce your energy bill and give your kitchen a modern look. If you are looking to buy one they are a few things you should consider.
3 Main Points to Consider
- Location: Before you buy the freezer you should know where you will place it. Knowing this will ensure you get a freezer with the proper width, depth, and height. You don’t want to be disappointed when you order a stylish undercounter freezer only for it to not fit in your kitchen. For stand-alone freezers, ensure you have space to allow for ventilation. Its capacity should also concern you. If you usually freeze a lot of food and drinks you should look at the storage space of the freezer you want to buy. Some may be too small meaning you have to look for an alternative storage for your products. Don’t make that mistake and instead ensure you know how much storage you kitchen requires.
- Type: When buying your undercounter freezer you can choose to get one with doors or with drawers. Something you can also consider is if the front panels of the freezer can be customized to match your kitchen design. The colors, material, finishes will also be something you should look at. Many buyers love the stainless steel finish but you don’t have to go with that. Check out what is available on the market and choose what you know will make you happy.
- Budget: Your budget will determine which freezer you will purchase. The good thing is prices for undercounter freezers range from affordable to extremely expensive. If you are out to spend you can look at top brands like Danby, Midea or Arctic Air. If you don’t have much to spend don’t worry there is something for you. Look at what we reviewed one of them should fit your budget. Something to also consider is the cost of installation. When purchasing a built-in model the price quoted can be affordable but the installation can burn a big hole in your pocket. So, ask a retailer how much it will cost to install before buying. In general, free-standing units are less expensive than built-in models.
Why are undercounter freezers a great option for kitchens?
They are several reasons why undercounter freezers are becoming more popular. Key among those reasons is
- They free-up your kitchen space. As you already know by now compared to the regular refrigerators these products don’t take up much space. If you have limited space in your kitchen an under the counter would work best for you. Your space doesn’t have to be limited. Many people while doing their kitchen remodeling opt to have this type of freezers installed. With them, they get more room in the kitchen and it looks less cluttered.
- They help you save on power bills. A lot of the undercounter freezers are made with energy saving in mind. Your current big freezer might be consuming a lot of energy. If you want to change that purchase an undercounter freezer. When buying one make sure it is energy star rated. If it is your energy costs should reduce. With reduced power bills you will be saving money and helping make the environment better at the same time.
- They give your kitchen a modern look. Having a refrigerator stuck in one corner of your kitchen is become old. Undercounter freezers are the new style when it comes to kitchen design. The products are becoming a must-have for a modern kitchens. To fit right into your kitchen the undercounter freezers come in a variety of colors, textures, and finishes. From the wide variety, you should be able to get one that will make your kitchen the talk of your neighborhood. Don’t be left behind give your kitchen that fresh look with one of this freezers.
Like with everything else they might be some cons of having an undercounter freezer. The key one being that you may have space issues. If you store lots of frozen foods at the same time that may be a problem, these products don’t hold as much food and drinks like a normal freezer. They can’t also not store large items because of their narrow width. You, therefore, have two options buy just enough groceries to fit in the freezer or stick to your current freezer.
The cost of the freeze can in some case also be expensive. However, the extra space, energy saving and elegance they add to your kitchen make buying one of these products a wise investment.
Transform Your Kitchen with an Undercounter Fridge or Freezer (Video):
Final Thoughts on Buying the Best Undercounter Freezer
We understand that choosing the right undercounter freezer for your kitchen can be overwhelming. That’s why we hope this review makes it easier for you to choose. The best undercounter freezer of 2018 should make your kitchen more spacious and improve its look. If you’re in the market for one consider any of those we reviewed we are certain you will love whatever you choose.