There is nothing more refreshing than a trip to the water cooler to break up the workday. Yet, the best office water cooler is about much more than the water cooler talk. With the touch of a button, your employees can enjoy access to hot or cold filtered, temperature controlled water to quench their thirst. But with so many water dispenser brands and models to choose from, how can you filter through the options? We’ve researched and determined ten top-rated water dispensers for office use, as well as the two you should avoid.
Reviews of the 10 Best Office Water Cooler, Plus the 2 Worst to Avoid
This Whirlpool unit is the best water dispenser for office use of 2020. It’s easy to load and has a door that can swing all the way open. It’s usually a struggle to find a bottom loading water cooler that doesn’t have the issue of inner door hinges. To solve that problem Whirlpool has made this unit slightly wider than the other options to make changing water bottles easier.
The Whirlpool Self Cleaning, Hot, and Cold, Stainless Bottom Load Water Cooler with LED Indicators uses a 6th sense cleaning technology. This technology makes this water cooler a great office choice as you won’t need to add anything onto your weekly maintenance list. The water cooler monitors bacteria and virus levels. Then when it decides a cleaning is necessary uses unstable oxygen to flush the system. This cleaning method kills 99% of bacteria and viruses.
With large and easy to use hot and cold water spouts and a sleek black finish, you’ll find this water dispenser is an excellent addition to any workplace. This model is the Best Avalon water dispenser for office use available.
The Avalon A6BLWTRCLRBLK Self Cleaning Bottom Loading Cooler Dispenser has everything an office-manager could want from a water dispenser. The unit uses a self-cleaning system, has energy-star approval, and loads from the bottom. Bottom loading water dispensers are very popular.
This dispenser is the best bottom loading water cooler for office use. The loading area reduces the need for lifting and reduces the likelihood of spilling. The pump and siphon system ensure that you get every drop out of your 3 or 5-gallon water bottles. Avalon created a unit that works great and functions well.
3. Oasis POUD1SK WHI Atlantis Cook n’ Cold Bottleless Water Cooler Review
For the office with high water needs, you should consider a bottleless water dispenser. Without a doubt, the Oasis POUD1SK is the Best oasis water dispenser for office use because of its bottleless design.
This water dispenser provides cold and room temperature water on demand. It’s also easy to clean. The drip tray can come right out and go straight into a dishwasher if you have a full kitchen in your office.
The best feature of the Oasis POUD1SK WHI Atlantis Cook n’ Cold Bottleless Water Cooler is the dual float system. Because this unit is bottleless, it fills its reserve tank with water from an existing water line. The downside to many bottleless options is that they run the risk of overflowing.
The dual float system prevents overflowing, leaving you without excuses to opt for a bottleless system. This cooler doesn’t need water treatments and is easier to work within an office setting because no one has to change those heavy water bottles.
4. Della 2-in-1 Freestanding Water Dispenser with Built-In Ice Maker Review
Whether your office uses 3 or 5-gallon water bottles, this water dispenser will see daily use in your office. The Della 2-in-1, Freestanding Water Dispenser with Built-In Ice Maker, is a top loading water cooler that goes above and beyond most office expectations.
This water dispenser provides up to 27-pounds of ice in a day and doesn’t rely on waterlines or ice drains. Although you will need to occasionally clean this cooler, it is easy enough to fit into your office’s cleaning schedule.
Probably the best aspect of the Della 2-in-1 Freestanding Water Dispenser with Built-In Ice Maker is that it’s great for saving on energy. Many people love bottom loading water dispensers, but top loaders don’t need the pump or siphon systems. When gravity does all the work, you end up using a lot less electricity compared to other water dispensers.
5. Oasis Countertop Bottleless Water Cooler Dispenser with Filtration system and Universal Installation Kit Review
Nearly everything you could want from a water cooler, and it only uses slightly more space than a Keurig. This water dispenser uses a direct line connection to provide you hot, or cold water on command. The steel reservoir helps preserve the taste and quality of your drinking water.
This Oasis Countertop Water Dispenser is the best countertop water dispenser for office. For a direct connection, this water dispenser is surprisingly easy to set up. The universal installation kit has thorough instructions for a variety of water line types. You will need access to your under-the-sink water line.
For great tasting water in seconds, you can count on this Oasis bottleless water cooler. The unit has an internal 2-stage filtering and purification system that does need occasional maintenance.
Like other Whirlpool models, the Whirlpool Commercial Single Serve Bottom Loading Water Cooler with k-Cup Pod relies on extra features to stand out from the crowd. There are a lot of similar water coolers, but this one is a 2-in-1 appliance that focuses on being easy to clean as well.
The single serving side has a removable drip tray to help clean up the overflow, and it’s easy to access the K-CUP pod section to get your cup brewing. The coffee brews at about 201 degrees Fahrenheit which is perfect for a morning cup to wake you up.
The only drawback to this cooler is that it loses some function of the water cooler aspect in order to accommodate the single serving and heating functions. The water cooler takes some time to recover when switching from hot to cold water because the compressor must switch on.
7. Brio Commercial Grade Bottleless Filter Water Cooler Dispenser Review
A point-of-use water dispenser that provides 3 different temperature settings and has a durable, all stainless steel design. This is the best brio water dispenser for office use. Many offices are opting for a direct line or bottleless water dispensers because you are saving money over time. You won’t need a water service, and you won’t have to deal with those heavy water bottles.
The Brio Commercial Grade Bottleless Filter Water Cooler Dispenser uses a 3-step filtration system to remove 68 contaminants from your drinking water. The carbon filters also prevent rust and sediment buildup from hard water which can damage your appliance. Finally, a water dispenser that protects itself.
This water dispenser can provide 3 temperatures including, refreshingly cold, room temperature, and steaming hot. It’s perfect for an office full of hot tea drinkers, or for brewing coffee in a French press.
8. Nutrichef Countertop Water Cooler Dispenser with Hot and Cold Water Review
This unit is the go-to option for anyone looking for a countertop option that doesn’t rely on a direct water line connection. You can use either 3 or 5-gallon water jugs, while this water dispenser sits comfortably on a counter or desktop.
The cold water pours consistently at a temperature range of 40 to 45 degree Fahrenheit, while the hot water flows at about 170 degrees. The impressive aspect of this Nutrichef water dispenser is the temperature consistency. Even with repeated use, this unit maintains these water temperatures.
Nutrichef also took into consideration the safety needs within offices that may occasionally have children present. The hot water dispenser has a child-lock which requires both hands to dispense hot water. This design prevents accidental burns.
Because of its many features, and size, this Nutrichef Countertop Water Dispenser is the best top load water cooler for office. Don’t opt for the top loader that takes up unnecessary space. The compact design of this unit will fit into any office breakroom.
9. Avalon A10-TL Top Loading Water Dispenser Review
This water dispenser from Avalon is an excellent choice because of its innovative design, and multiple temperature settings. Many people prefer this dispenser because it provides room temperature water as well as hot and cold. If you have an office full of tea drinkers or someone who needs that quick cup of instant coffee, the steaming hot water option is always at the ready.
The sleek design isn’t just about its stainless steel finish. Avalon A10-TL Top Loading Water Dispenser is slightly more narrow than other water dispenser options. The slim design will help it fit into nearly any office space.
Finally, you’ll notice that the options are easy to select from and are child safe. The child safety lock makes it nearly impossible for children to access the hot water without the help of an adult. Prevent burns with this water dispenser from Avalon.
10. Brio CL520 Commercial Grade Hot and Cold Top Load Water Dispenser Cooler Review
From ice-cold to nearly boiling, you can have the perfect cup of ice water or hot cocoa in seconds. The hot water spout uses the standard lever child-safety lock which helps prevent burns but allows children to get their own glass of ice water.
Its durability makes the Brio CL520 Commercial Grade Hot and Cold Top Load Water Dispenser Cooler a top choice for many offices. The stainless steel reservoir, and ABS plastic design guarantee that this unit will last for years.
This top loading Brio water dispenser is also the best on the market for quiet offices because it uses the most efficient compressor available. The compressor only turns on when necessary and has the lowest cycle rate of any water dispenser on the market. Your office will appreciate that there isn’t another appliance kicking on every 30 minutes.
Avoid – Lago Top Load Hot, Cold and Room Temperature Mini Water Cooler Review
Many office managers fall into the belief that simple designs usually last longer and are more efficient than the overly elaborate water dispensers. This water dispenser proves that sometimes a simple design produces more problems than a complex design.
The worst water dispenser for office use on the market is the Lago Top Load Hot, Cold and Room Temperature Mini Water Cooler. The hot water dispenser doesn’t heat up enough to dissolve a packet of hot chocolate or allow a tea bag to steep. Then the cold water is closer to room temperature. But, to top it off, it leaks.
So how does such a simple design have these problems? Well, while this Lago water dispenser looks like a simple top loading water cooler, it uses a series of electronic components and low-grade materials to provide room-temperature water with 3 different buttons.
Avoid – Honeywell HWB1083S Commercial Grade Freestanding Water Dispenser Review
On initial review, this Honeywell unit seems like a quality top loading water cooler option. But, because of its low-grade seals surrounding the water reservoir, it leaks. Within a few hours, your 5-gallon water jug will empty into the wiring box and eventually onto your floors.
Avoid this water cooler for office use, or any use. Office managers or business owners should know the amount of water damage this unit can cause before they bring it into their building. From wood-floor damage to peeling vinyl, the Honeywell HWB1083S Commercial Grade Freestanding Water Dispenser will ruin floors.
What makes the situation worse is the poor customer service from Honeywell. Although this brand makes quality appliances on a regular basis, they won’t offer any help to resolve issues with these water dispensers.
2020 Buyers Guide to the Best Office Water Cooler
Many offices or workplaces feel responsible for providing healthy choices for their employees. Providing chilled bottled water isn’t exactly environmentally friendly, instead, opt for a water dispenser. Give your employees access to fresh drinking water.
3 Main Points to Consider
- Space: Office managers already struggle with space restrictions. But, we’ve come a long way since the old-school top loading water dispensers that took up a lot of room. Consider the space you have to work with when you’re trying to find the best water dispenser for your office. Breakrooms usually have a lot of unused counter space. A countertop, or tabletop water cooler might help you save on floor space. But there is also the vertical space aspect to consider. Even a countertop or tabletop water dispenser will need vertical space to hold a large water bottle unless it uses a direct water line. If you are dealing with severe space restrictions, explore bottleless options. Many bottleless, countertop water dispenser units will save you floor space and fit on a counter that has an overhead cupboard. Work with the space available in your office.
- Utility: A water dispenser only needs to provide room temperature water. But, many offices are looking for options that have a cold, and hot water options as well. Before deciding on your purchase, determine which utility functions will work best in your office. Hot water dispensing units are great for brewing coffee in a French press, steeping hot tea or mixing a packet of hot chocolate in the winter. But, hot water dispensers also run the risk of accidental burns. If you are looking into a unit that dispenses hot water, be sure it has a child safety lock. Cold water is the most sought-after feature in a water dispenser. Cold water is refreshing and can help your employees wake up a bit. For a water dispenser to provide cold water, the unit will need a compressor. Cold water dispensers may use more electricity than water dispensers that don’t offer cold water.
- Type of Water Dispensers: There is a long-standing debate amongst office managers regarding top and bottom loading water dispensers. Then there is the often overlooked, direct line water dispenser option. A top loading water dispenser is what most people think of in an office space. These water dispenser will have a 3 or 5-gallon water jug sitting on top of the unit. Top loading water dispensers are well-known for their energy efficiency. Bottom loading water dispensers, however, are easier to work with because changing the water bottle requires minimal effort. Many office managers also prefer a bottom loading water cooler because there is less risk of someone injuring themselves while changing the water bottle. Finally, direct line water dispensers connect to an existing water line and provide water on the spot. There are no water supply subscriptions. While you might need a plumber to install the system, you’ll find that they are very low-maintenance for years.
Is it preferred to have a water dispenser that draws from a water line or with a refillable bottle for an office space?
Whether you prefer a water dispenser that uses an existing water line or using a water bottle service depends on what utilizes are available in your office space. Many office managers are choosing to use direct line water dispensers because they use less space and save money in the long run.
But, the issue with a water dispenser that draws from a water line is that you need access to the water line. You will also need to review your lease agreement to ensure that you can add these types of appliances. Usually, the water line is under the sink, and building managers approve these additions without issue.
However, if you don’t have a full kitchen in your office, you might be better off with a refillable bottle delivery service. These services deliver bottled water based on your needs and aren’t that expensive. Usually, water dispensers that rely on bottled water are cheaper than the direct line options.
Best Office Water Cooler (2020 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Office Water Cooler
An office should have a water dispenser of some kind. The best water dispenser for office use of 2020 should deliver excellent cold and hot drinking water while being energy efficient as well. Consider the space you have available and whether you want a bottle or direct line style water dispenser before making your purchase.