If you love baking cakes, then you are already aware of the fact that any baker requires a range of tools at their disposal to get the job done the right way. There are many different tools that can be of great assistance while you are baking cakes, and the best cake leveler is one that you will need if you are planning to bake layer cake or wish to prepare special cake decorating options for the cakes you want to bake – which is why you should ensure you buy the best cake leveler.
We’ve researched and discovered the eight top-rated cake leveler of 2022, as well as one to avoid. Check out our full cake leveler reviews and comprehensive buyer’s guide at the end.
Our Top Picks
- Best Wilton Cake Leveler: Wilton Cake Leveler
- Best Quality: ForeverSmooth 12 Inch Cake Turntable with Leveler
- Best Complete Kit: Taiker 493 Pc Cake Decorating Kit with Cake Leveler
- Best Large Cake Leveler: Knights Bridge Global Adjustable 18 Inch Cake
- Best Multiple Blade: Gooday Adjustable Large 3 Blades Cake Leveler
- Best Compact: PROKITCHEN Adjustable Small Cake Leveler
- Best Professional: Bonviee Adjustable Professional Cake Leveler
- Best Value: DayCount Pack of 3 Cake Leveler
Reviews of the 8 Best Cake Leveler, Plus 1 to Avoid
1. Wilton Cake Leveler 10 Inch Review
If you have been baking cakes for a while, you should be familiar with the Wilton brand already – they produce a range of high-quality tools that come to your aid while you are baking. We thought it would be a good idea to start our review by taking a look at the best Wilton cake leveler that we could find. After we searched the various options, they have available at the moment, and we found the Wilton Cake Leveler 10 Inch to be their best option.
This is a relatively compact product that comes in a range of different colors, including white and purple. The product costs less than $8 and comes with a sharp serrated knife that will easily cut through your cake with no issues at all. It is very easy to clean the entire product. The kit comes with a complete guide to ensure you can understand how to install the blade and adjust it to cut every cake perfectly – without leaving extra crumbs or causing the cake to break apart while you are leveling it with the tool.
To watch the Wilton Cake Leveler 10 Inch Review on YouTube, click here.
2. ForeverSmooth 12 Inch Cake Turntable with Leveler Review
If you are looking for the best cake leveler of 2022 that comes with everything you need to frost and level your cake, then the ForeverSmooth 12 Inch Cake Turntable with Leveler might be the ideal option for you. This is a kit that can be purchased as a standalone package, or with the leveler included. The leveler is made from quality materials to ensure it is durable and can easily cut through any cake, which makes it much easier to level your cake – no problem at all. The serrated knife can be easily adjusted, and the product is very easy to clean and easy to use.
The kit also comes with a cake or cupcake stand, along with some additional tools that will be handy if you want to enjoy some cake decorations after you have leveled it with the included tool. While this one is a little more expensive than some alternative options available at the moment, take into account the fact that you are not buying a leveler only, but also additional tools that will definitely come in handy.
To watch the ForeverSmooth 12 Inch Cake Turntable with Leveler Review on YouTube, click here.
3. Taiker 493 Pc Cake Decorating Kit with Cake Leveler Review
If you are looking to seriously upgrade your cake decorating toolkit, the Taiker Cake Decorating Kit is of tremendous value. It is a 493 piece professional set that includes stylish gear to enhance the baking experience. Create delicious cakes, cupcakes, and cookies with this ultimate baking set!
Materials included in this set meet food grade standards with BPA-free plastic, stainless steel, and dishwasher safe tools. The cake decorating set is ideal for easy designing, starting with the batter mix all the way to the frosting and display tray. Because it includes three different size cake pans, you are able to create beautiful multi-level cakes with the help of the included cake leveler.
Specifically, the leveler in this kit cleanly slices and levels batter based cakes into even layers for making professional-looking layer cakes at home. This cake decorating kit is suitable for all skill levels from beginner cake decorating kit to professional. When you purchase this kit, Taiker provides customer support in case there are any issues.
4. Knights Bridge Global Adjustable 18 Inch Cake Slicer Review
Next up is the Knights Bridge Global Adjustable 18 Inch Cake Slicer Leveler, a larger option for those who are looking for a product that is more versatile. This cake leveler knife comes with serrated blades, which means it will flawlessly cut through your cake and give you a perfectly level cake – thus precisely serving the purpose you have purchased the product for in the first place.
The blade measures a total of 18-inch in length. The frame is made from high-quality stainless steel. While the handle of this product does not feature any rubber grip, it is still a relatively comfortable product to keep in your hands while cake leveling.
To watch the Knights Bridge Global Adjustable 18 Inch Cake Slicer Leveler Review on YouTube, click here.
5. Gooday Adjustable Large 3 Blades Cake Cutter Interlayer Cake Slicer Leveler Household Cake Tools Baking and Pastry Tool Review
Those looking for a more versatile option in terms of a cake slicer leveler should turn their attention to the Gooday Adjustable Large 3 Blades Cake Cutter Interlayer Cake Slicer Leveler Household Cake Tools baking And Pastry Tool. This product can be used for various purposes – it is not only a cake leveler knife but can also be utilized as a means of cutting bread loaves and other items with ease.
The powerful serrated knife is durable and extremely sharp, ensuring cutting can be done effortlessly and that you do not have to worry about replacing the serrated knife blade too frequently. The Gooday Adjustable Large 3 Blades Cake Cutter Interlayer Cake Slicer Leveler Household Cake Tools Baking And Pastry Tool features a three-blade system, but the blades can easily be removed for a single cut if required.
To watch the Gooday Adjustable Large 3 Blades Cake Cutter Interlayer Cake Slicer Leveler Household Cake Tools Baking and Pastry Tool Review on YouTube, click here.
6. PROKITCHEN Adjustable Small Cake Leveler Cutter Slicer With Stainless Steel Wires and Purple Handle for Professional Baking Tools Review
After looking at a few options that are available on the market at the moment, we found the best professional cake leveler to be the PROKITCHEN Adjustable Small Cake Leveler Cutter Slicer with Stainless Steel Wires and Purple Handle for Professional Baking Tools. This is a heavy-duty option that comes with a very comfortable grip, which ensures you can grab onto the leveler and cut the top off your cake with precision – no need to worry about a tool that might slip out of your hands at all.
The wire features a wavy design for better efficiency. A two-wire system is also available for those who are interested in tasks that might require more than a single blade. With a non-slip coating on the grip, this also means the leveler is much safer to use than some of the alternatives on the market.
To watch the PROKITCHEN Adjustable Small Cake Leveler Cutter Slicer With Stainless Steel Wires and Purple Handle for Professional Baking Tools Review on YouTube, click here.
7. Bonviee Adjustable Cake Leveler Professional Layer Slicer Cutter 3 Blades Stainless Steel Review
The Bonviee Adjustable Cake Leveler Professional Layer Slicer Cutter 3 Blades Stainless Steel is another excellent professional option if you are looking for a higher quality product that can be used to level out your cakes, while also providing you with additional functionality that makes it easy to use and cut the cake and even pastry items that you might make.
In addition to the main product, being the Bonviee Adjustable Cake Leveler, this particular product also comes with some additional tools that add further value to the package – this includes two different plastic scrapers.
With these bonus tools, it means you are not only able to level your cake with this particular tool, but you can also apply frosting to your cake and scrape it to perfection with the added scrapers. The leveler has 18-inch blades, ensuring you can cut larger cakes with ease.
To watch the Bonviee Adjustable Cake Leveler Professional Layer Slicer Cutter 3 Blades Stainless Steel Review on YouTube, click here.
8. DayCount Pack of 3 Cake Leveler and Slicer Professional Review
Last on our list of the top-rated cake slicers that are currently available on the market is the DayCount Pack of 3 Cake Leveler and Slicer Professional. This is a high quality professional cake leveler that comes in a convenient three-pack – this means that should one of the levelers ever decide to stop functioning the way you need it to function, you simply turn to another one.
Each of these levelers can take up to two blades at a time, which means this tool is also versatile and can be used for much more than just cutting off your cake’s top in order to level it. The blades measure 12 inches to combine convenience, portability, and usefulness into one single product.
To watch the DayCount Pack of 3 Cake Leveler and Slicer Professional Review on YouTube, click here.
Avoid – Freebily Stainless Steel Adjustable 2-Wire Cake Bread Cutter Slicer Cutting Leveler Review
Before we move on to look at some factors that you should keep into account when you decide to buy a cake leveler, let’s also take a look at the worst cake leveler on the market, now that we have shared with you some of the best options that you can choose from. After we did a lot of research, we suggest you avoid buying the Freebily Stainless Steel Adjustable 2-Wire Cake Break Cutter Slicer Cutting Leveler. At only $0.01 per piece, this one might seem like a real bargain at first, but it really isn’t worth your time or money, even though just a few cents.
The freebily Stainless Steel Adjustable 2-Wire Cake Bread Cutter Slicer Cutting Leveler is promoted as a product that can help you level your cakes and cut your bread, but the blades of this product do not seem to be sharp enough to cut through these items to produce even layer cake. The grip is also not appropriate as it is easy for the leveler to slip out of your hands, which could become a hazard while you are slicing.
To watch the Freebily Stainless Steel Adjustable 2-Wire Cake Bread Cutter Slicer Cutting Leveler Review on YouTube, click here.
2022 Buyers Guide to The Best Cake Leveler
You’ve decided that you want to buy a new cake leveler, but you are not sure where exactly to start or what to look for. If you’re planning on adding one to your tools for cake decorations, such as an edible printer, a cake airbrush or cake cake turntable, you’ll need to research the market. There are thousands of different options that you need to filter through in order to find that one tool that you will buy – you will be using the leveler for baking purposes frequently, so you want to ensure you buy a product that will provide you with the features that you expect from it.
To make things easier, we will list three of the primary points you should take into consideration and look at while you are browsing through the options that are available on the market at the moment.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Grip: The very first factor that we recommend you look at when you are considering to buy a specific cake leveler is its grip. This is a feature that some people tend to overlook when they buy one of these baking tools, but the grip plays an essential role in the functionality of the product, and a good grip can add a better level of comfort while using the product to level your cakes. While many of these products tend to feature grips that look very much the same, it is important to consider the smaller differences between them – which often lies within the materials that were used in the construction of the grip. While some companies turn to a plastic material, others will provide a more comfortable grip by utilizing materials such as silicon. If you do not wish to spend too much money, consider a model that has a plastic handle with a rubber coating. This will greatly improve your grip while using the product and also help to improve overall safety.
- Quality: While considering the grip features offered by the particular cake leveler that you might want to buy, also take into account the quality of the product. Some versions on the market are poorly made and may even be constructed from weak and low-quality materials. With this in mind, if you do not ensure the product you are buying is made from quality materials, you could end up with a leveler that will break after using the tool just a few times. Consider the different types of materials used in the construction of the entire tool. We already covered the fact that you should look at the materials that were used to make the grip – but also take note of what materials were used for the frame and the blade. Some blades will offer better performance than others. Many cake cutters tend to feature stainless steel wires for blades, which is a quality option that can quickly cut through your cake without any problems. If the blades are not sharp, then they may not cut the cake correctly. Also look at whether the blades are appropriately positioned, as blades that are skew are showcase other issues may cause you to end up with a cake that is no-where near levels, but rather looks like it has been torn apart.
- Price: In addition to considering the materials, quality of the product, and the grip that is installed in the cake leveler that you are interested in buying take a good look at the price of the tool in front of you as well. In fact, it would be an even better idea to consider how much you are willing to pay for the tool before you even start to look for a product to buy. This way, you won’t end up paying too much for one, and you’ll be able to filter through the products and only display the ones that fit into the budget you have set aside for the tool that you would like to buy. Also, consider the price and value of any particular cake levelers that you might be interested in. Be sure to do your research – look at user reviews, for example. Don’t pay $50 for one that is rated one out of five stars and one that breaks quickly, when you can pay $15 for one with only five-star reviews, and that lasts for many years.
- Size: Keep in mind the size of the cakes you are planning to make when choosing a cake leveler. Is it a full sheet cake, small, or large? There are many different sizes to choose from. Make sure the one you choose is large enough to level the cake size you will be baking. Additionally, some come with adjustable options so you can cut multiple levels out of one batter-based cake. Some popular brands make multiple sizes so you can get the perfect option.
What Is a Cake Leveler Used For?
Many people who are only starting out baking their own cakes might not be acknowledged with the term “cake leveler,” or perhaps they have heard about the term before, but they are not absolutely sure what such a tool is used for. A cake leveler is a really simple tool that should be part of any baker’s arsenal in their kitchen – and something that should be handy after the cake has been baked.
Essentially, a cake leveler is often a relatively small and lightweight product. It consists of a handle, a frame, and a blade. The blade is usually in the form of a very sharp and thin wire, which is used to assist in cutting a cake.
The tool is used as suggested – to level a cake. For those not knowing what exactly this means – think about how a cake looks when it comes out of the oven. Since there are raising agents in the cake mix, chances are, the top part of the cake will have a bubble effect. This can be an inconvenience if you are trying to make a layer cake or when you wish to create a specific type of cake decoration for an event perhaps.
The cake leveler is used to cut off the bubbly top part of the cake in order to create a leveled surface that can be used to stack more cakes on, as well as to decorate with more precision and ease.
Simple steps: How to Level a Cake With a Cake Leveler?
If you are wondering how to use a cake leveler, you’re not alone. Now that we looked at what the purpose of a cake leveler is and we explained why this tool is so important in the arsenal of anyone who enjoys baking – novice or professional – let’s consider how these tools are used in order to help you perfectly level your cake to prepare it for cake decorating, or perhaps to stack more on top of the even layers it will produce.
If you would like to use a cake leveler to level out a cake, then the very first thing to note is that you should wait for the cake to cool down before you decide to cut it with this tool. If you fail to wait and try to cut the cake while it is still hot from the oven, then chances are it will break apart and you’ll have to bake a cake all over again.
Once the cake has cooled down, the next step is to lay the cake down on a flat and level surface. Take the leveler and place it at the position you want to level the cake at – then slowly glide the blade through the cake in a straight maneuver until the top of the cake has been cut off.
Should I Chill My Cake Before Leveling?
Many professionals recommend freezing your cake before leveling to get the smoothest cut. However, if you do not have the luxury of time, at the very least let your cake cool as long as possible. If you do not allow it to chill, you run the risk of your cake crumbling and having a rough surface which will not make for a clean frosting coating. This is especially true if your cake is round or domed at the top.
What is The Best Way to Level a Cake?
For best results start by purchasing a cake leveler like the ones we have reviewed at Freshnss. There are some DIY options out there, but we found the end result to be less than ideal if you are going for a professional look. Next, adjust the cutting wires to the desired height of your cake layer, place the bottom of the frame snugly against the countertop, and slowly pull it through the cake keeping it perpendicular to the counter. In some cases, it may work better to rotate it in a circular motion. Once completely through the cake, delicately remove the fully cut cake layer. Use care when moving the cake layers to ensure they do not break.
Best Cake Leveler Review (2022 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Buying the Best Cake Leveler
When it comes to baking even layers and creating stacked cakes, a cake leveler is a tool that you should never be without, but with so many weak products on the market, it can be tough to ensure you buy the best cake leveler of 2022. Our top three favorites are:
The Wilton Cake Leveler for the best overall option
For the best quality kit, the ForeverSmooth 12 Inch Cake Turntable with Leveler is our favorite.
If you want the best complete decorating kit, the Taiker 493 Pc Cake Decorating Kit is the perfect fit.
We’ve provided the top-rated options that are currently available on the market to make the selection easier for you, and we even shared the worst options available with you to ensure you do not end up wasting your money when you decide that it is time to buy a cake leveler in order to help you bake the perfect layer cake.
Freshnss Values Transparency and Integrity
Image credit: Winton