Keep your body free from water-related diseases, whether at home or out in nature, with one of the best portable water filters on the market. Our bodies need a constant supply of water to support the immune system and contribute to many other functions. Without water, the human body cannot continue to function normally. Worldwide, there are almost 800 million people that do not have access to water that can be considered clean, as well as safe to drink. There are some countries where unclean water causes up to 80% of all illnesses. Even in developed countries, water is not always clean. The use of a portable water filter can help to improve the overall condition of water and produce a cleaner, healthier way to contribute to the hydration needs of your body. We’ve thoroughly researched the market and have insights to share about the seven top-rated portable water filters, as well as two you should avoid.
Reviews of the 7 Best Portable Water Filter, Plus the 2 Worst to Avoid
1. Go Berkey Kit Review
Let’s start with our choice for the best portable water filter of 2019, the Go Berkey Kit. While this kit may seem a little more expensive than some of the other choices at first, it is important that you take into consideration the useful features and additional extras that are included in this kit. The kit comes with a convenient light-weight bottle that does not contain any BPA, which is beneficial as it can be re-used without being at risk of exposure to the toxins that some plastic bottles leak into water contained within. The kit also comes with a Go Berkey stainless steel water filtration system and includes an original Berkey filter. The filter can remove up to 99.99% of all contaminants found in the water, as well as help to remove any toxins, bacteria and other potentially harmful substances that may be present in water. This makes the Go Berkey perfect for your hiking trips. This portable water filter can also filter as much as one gallon of water in just an hour.
2. LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle Review
If you are looking for the best portable water filter bottle, then be sure to take a look at the LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle. This bottle is perfect for any use – whether you want to have a water filtration system on hand in the office or during your hiking trip, the LifeStraw Go offers you a lightweight system that can filter out chemicals and toxins found in any water you come across. This portable water filter bottle comes in different bottles and has a lifetime capacity of 264 gallons, making it perfect for your extended trips. The bottle is also BPA-free and can be re-used multiple times without being at risk of exposure to the chemicals that are present in certain plastic products. When the filter on the inside of the bottle has run out, then you can buy a new filter. There is no need to buy a new bottle, which ultimately means more value for your money.
3. pH On-The-Go Alkaline Water Filter Pouch Review
This is most likely the best portable water filter pitcher on the market – while not a pitcher itself, it provides an effective way to filter up to 16 gallons per pouch, making it ideal to add to your pitcher and serve up some fresh, clean water. The pH On-The-Go Alkaline Water Filter Pouches produces Ionized water with a high pH to ensure bacteria, parasites and contaminants are unable to survive, while still giving you access to water that is cleaner and safer to drink than what comes out of your tap. These pouches are extremely easy to use – simply add one to your water, wait for a little, and you are ready to drink. You can also take these pouches with you anywhere, as they are smaller than a bottle or a straw device, making them more portable than many other portable water filtrations that you will find on the market today.
4. Etekcity Portable Water Filter Straw Review
The Etekcity Portable Water Filter Straw is ideal for people who are constantly on-the-go and finding themselves exposed to water that is not considered exceptionally safe for human consumption. This is the best portable water filter straw you will find on the market and provides a three-stage filtration system to assist with producing water that is clean and free from any harmful substances. The Etekcity Portable Water Filter Straw is also an affordable option when it comes to buying a portable solution for clean water and offers multiple uses. The device can be used to drink directly from a source, such as a spring or a river, or it can be attached to different types of water bottles and used as a top-mounted water filtration system. Additionally, the straw can also be used to filter water from one bottle into another bottle without having to drink from the straw constantly. Cleaning this portable water filter is a breeze, and the internal filtration system can easily be replaced.
5. EveryDrop by Whirlpool Portable Water Filter Review
The EveryDrop by Whirlpool Portable Water Filter is most likely one of the most convenient options you will find on the market when you are looking for a compact solution to ensure you can instantly filter out harmful substances in water, no matter where you find yourself. In addition to including the main water filtration system, which comes with a built-in micro contaminant filter, the device also comes with an additional replacement filter for when the first one runs out. One of the most impressive features of the EveryDrop by Whirlpool Portable Water Filter is the fact that it can provide water filtration at a speed that is up to five times faster than some of the leading systems on the market at the moment, and this water filter also saves as much as 50% more water. The device is made from a BPA-free type of plastic and can be cleaned in a dishwasher, providing further convenience.
6. LifeStraw Family 1.0 Portable Water Purifier Review
The best portable water filtration system for disaster relief on the market at the moment is the LifeStraw Family 1.0 Portable Water Purifier, providing you with the convenience of being able to filter virtually any kind of water – even water that would seem undrinkable – into clean, safer water. A single filter in this portable water purifier can filter almost 5,000 gallons of water, providing much better value for your money as compared to those purifiers that can provide you with a lifetime capacity that only extends a few gallons. The filter used in the LifeStraw Family 1.0 Portable Water Purifier can assist with the removal of different types of contaminants found in water, including viruses, bacteria and parasites. The filter has also been tested and deemed effective at removing Giardia, Cryptosporidium and the E.coli virus effectively from water that is filtered through the device.
7. Glacial Stream Portable Personal Water Filter Straw Review
Convenient, compact and true value for your money – this is what the Glacial Stream Portable Personal Water Filter Straw can offer you. This little device can fit perfectly into your handbag or even your pocket. It provides a powerful internal filtering system that enables you to filter out bacteria, chemicals, toxins, viruses and many other substances often found in tap water or water in nature – without the need for any expensive equipment. Priced at just over $10, this device is perfect for ensuring you have access to clean and safe water at work, at home, while on holiday and while backpacking up the mountain. You can fit the device into a glass or a bottle for quick and easy filtered water, and the mouthpiece makes it a breeze to drink your clean water. The Glacial Stream Portable Personal Water Filter Straw comes with a convenient storage tube that makes it easy to store the device and keep it clean at all times.
Avoid – Potable Aqua Water Purification Treatment Review
The Potable Aqua Water Purification Treatment system is definitely a portable water filter to avoid. While there are most certainly benefits to the use of this option, it should be noted that the drawbacks overpower the advantages you can obtain from the use of this option. The idea of the Potable Aqua Water Purification Treatment system is to add a tablet to water and simply filters it. The problem, however, is that this solution can not provide the same powerful filtration as some of the other options that we have listed in this review article. Additionally, you cannot simply add the tablets to water, and the water will be ready to drink in an instant. You have to wait as long as 35 minutes before you will be able to drink the water you are cleansing with these tablets. This will be inconvenient when you need some refreshment while on the go during a hike.
Avoid – Sawyer Gravity Water Filtration System Review
Our choice for the worst portable water filter of 2019 is the Sawyer Gravity Water Filtration System. There are some advantages that you can obtain from choosing to buy this portable water filtration system, but overall, we found the other portable water filters that we listed in our review guide to be better overall as compared to this one. The Sawyer Gravity Water Filtration System can hold up to one gallon of water at a single time and features a dual-threaded mini filter system. The device utilizes the power of gravity in order to push water through the filtration system. The pouch is filled with water, and the filtered water can then be tapped out on the bottom of the device, using the attached tube, which also includes the filtration system utilized by this portable water filter.
2019 Buyers Guide to the Best Portable Water Filter:
There are many portable water filters on the market, but not all of them are equally effective at removing toxins, pathogenic substances, chemicals and other harmful material from water. Choosing the best portable water filter will ensure you gain access to a device that can efficiently clean your water before consumption.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Capacity: The capacity often cited as the lifetime capacity of the portable water filter you are interested in, should always play a vital part in your decision-making process. This term refers to how much water can run through the filter before it is deemed unusable. Not only do you need to try and opt for a portable water filter that can provide you with a more extended lifetime capacity, but you also need to take note of this specification when it comes to buying a filter. Once the filter runs out, it is vital that you opt for a new portable water filter. Some of these devices will allow you only to change the filter; thus providing you with better value for your money – others will instead require you to buy a new portable water filter as the filter may be built into the device. In case of emergency, it’s also advisable to carry water purification tablets in your bug-out bag or hiking pack, as well.
- Convenience: Convenience features offered by a portable water filter you are interested in buying should also be considered as important aspects. You obviously do not want to hook a machine up to tap wherever you are in order to produce cleaner water. The term “portable” means you are looking for a device that is mobile and versatile – a small, compact tool that you can carry with you to the office, at home, and even when going on holiday. Some portable water filters will also offer additional convenient features, such as providing extra filters that can be used to replace the original filter when it no longer has any content to filter your water efficiently. Other convenience factors to consider include how easy the device is to carry – for example, you can bring a bottle with you while you are on the run, but not a device that acts as a straw.
- Cost: Another essential factor to take into account when you are shopping for a portable water filter is the cost of the device. We are not only referring to the actual price of the product that you are expected to pay but the overall value that the product can offer you as well. If one device is cheaper than the other, but has a small lifetime capacity and requires new filters to be frequently purchased, then the other one may cost less in the end and offer you better value for the money you will be spending. At the same time, still consider the actual price – some portable water filters cost less than others, yet provides you with the same features as the more expensive options on the market.
What Are The Main Reasons You Might Need A Portable Water Purifier?
Even though the water you drink from your tap may look clean, there may be a lot of harmful toxins and chemicals present in the water – invisible to the naked eye. Some of the toxins that are often found in tap water include fluoride, lead, arsenic, dioxins, chlorine, PCBs, mercury, and perchlorate – there are many more. These can all have an adverse impact on the body, especially when exposed to the chemicals are high. Additionally, pathogens that may cause disease can also be present in the water that comes directly from your tap.
The use of a portable water purifier gives you the ability to ensure the water you drink throughout the day is clean, regardless of where you are. Whether you are at home or at the office, these devices give you the ability to instantly filter water, remove toxins and chemicals, and enjoy a glass of fresh, clean and safer water.
How to Make Your Own Portable Water Filter (Video Instruction):
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Portable Water Filter:
Chemicals, bacteria, parasites and many other toxins are present in our water systems. Filtering the water to help remove these pathogenic materials can save you from a higher risk of disease. By opting for the best portable water filter, you gain access to clean water, on the go, that will give your body a healthy boost.