Many people are choosing to give up bottled water, or complicated water filtration systems, in exchange for the best water dispenser for home use on the market. There are many high quality options from bottom loading coolers to top load water coolers, as well as porcelain water dispensers, that work well in most homes and kitchen spaces. We researched and discovered the ten top-rated water dispenser for home use, plus two you may want to avoid.
Reviews of the 10 Best Water Dispensers for Home Use, Plus the 2 Worst to Avoid
Without a doubt, this Brio is the best hot and cold water dispenser for home use of 2018, because of its outstanding design. The easy to use, bottom loading design lets nearly anyone in the family change the water bottle when it runs dry.
But, there are a ton of other features that the best Brio water dispenser for home use has that makes it worth the investment. Brio Essential Series Bottom Load Hot Cold and Room Water Cooler Dispenser uses indicator lights to let you know when hot or cold water is at ideal temperatures. There is also an LED light that indicates when the bottle needs changing.
The best feature that you need for the home is the child safety lock. The spouts are low enough for most children to grab their own glass of water. But you don’t have to worry about accidental burns because of the child lock. This lock requires both hands, and a little concentration to get the hot water flowing.
This unit is the best Whirlpool water dispenser for home use. The stainless steel finish will pop in any kitchen, den or dining area. It’s everything you could ask for with indicators to display the status of the temperatures, cleanliness and water level. You can know everything about your machine with a single glance.
As a bottom loading option, you couldn’t ask for an easier pump or siphon system. The hose reaches far enough out for you to pull the empty bottle out and detach the pump outside of the water cooling system. Then you slide in the new bottle.
Whirlpool Self Cleaning Hot and Cold Stainless Steel Bottom Loading Water Cooler does have a significant advantage over many other options you would consider for home use. It’s self cleaning which means that you don’t have to worry about your family ingesting a buildup of bacteria or viruses with their drinking water.
3. Brio Commercial Grade Bottleless Water Cooler with 3 Temperature Settings and Filter Review
A great addition to any kitchen, this direct line water dispenser will provide cold or hot drinking water all day long. Without bottles, you might wonder why this unit is so big. Even though the Brio Commercial Grade Bottleless Water Cooler with 3 Temperature Settings and Filter uses a direct line, it houses an additional filter system. This extra filter system is not something you find in most water dispensers.
As its best feature, this Brio water dispenser plays up its 3-step filtration process. It eliminates 68 contaminants, including chlorine, sediment, chemicals, and lead. This water dispenser is ideal for people who live in areas with poor drinking water options.
What makes this water dispenser even better is that it dispenses both hot, cold and room temperature water. It’s easy to use for hot cocoa, cold drinking water, or cooking.
4. Avalon Countertop Self Cleaning Bottleless Water Cooler Water Dispenser Review
If you have more counter space than floor space, choose the water dispenser that sits on the counter. Many homeowners love that this water dispenser is just out of reach for most children. There is a child safety lock on the hot water dispenser, to help prevent accidental burns.
As the best bottleless water cooler for home use, you’ll need access to a direct water line. Avalon Countertop Self Cleaning Bottleless Water Cooler Water Dispenser is perfect for placement right next to the kitchen sink. You’ll also appreciate that it has a nightlight, so you can easily navigate through to get a cold glass of water in the middle of the night.
Its final feature that makes this a great addition to any home is that it cleans itself. With a cleaning ozone function, you can ensure that the lines and spouts don’t build up with any harmful bacteria or viruses.
Self cleaning, bottom loading, and slim, it’s everything you could want for your kitchen. A compact design is the solution to being short on space. This bottom loading water dispenser focuses on innovative design.
UL/ Energy Star approval ensures that this unit is energy efficient. But you will want to make sure that you don’t block the air vents. These air vents are vital for this hyper-efficient compressor.
Avalon Self Cleaning Bottom Loading Water Cooler Dispenser with an Innovative Slim Design is the best Avalon water dispenser for home use. It’s slim, energy efficient, and child safe. This device uses a button on top of the hot water spout. You must use both hands to pour hot water. The first hand to hold the cup and depress the spout lever, and the other to hold down the lock button.
6. Arrow Home Products 00746 Fridge Stack Beverage Container 5-Quart Clear Water Dispenser Review
It’s the ultimate choice for anyone who wants regularly cold drinking water but is also dealing with a budget. The plastic for this beverage container is BPA free. Arrow Home Products 00746 Fridge Stack Beverage Container 5-Quart Clear Water Dispenser also fits snugly into any refrigerator without taking up a lot of space.
The easy lever lets you access to water without having to adjust the container, so you can stack anything on it, whether it’s sodas or leftovers. Probably the best part of this water dispenser is that it’s stain resistant. Many water dispensers that use a similar design will yellow after only a few weeks.
You can quickly put this into your refrigerator and refill it regularly. This Arrow water dispenser is exceptionally great for people with small homes. Consider this unit if you’re limited on counter space or would rather have your water dispenser in your fridge.
7. New Wave Enviro Stainless Steel Water Dispenser Review
The best New Wave water dispenser for home use and stylish too. This water dispenser uses a plastic ring with a lever faucet to ensure that this device doesn’t link. Many people love using this New Wave water dispenser for Kombucha brewing.
What’s impressive about this New Wave Enviro Stainless Steel Water Dispenser is its size. It is a great 2 ½ gallon dispenser that comfortably holds 3 or 5-gallon water bottles. This unit is the best countertop bottleless water dispenser for home use because of its simple design. You won’t have to worry about electronic components and water lines with this simple design.
A water dispenser doesn’t always need lights, and timers or filters. The New Wave water dispenser is everything your kitchen or home needs. With 6 exterior designs, you can choose the water dispenser that looks best in your home.
8. New Wave Enviro 796515300369 BL2wstand Porcelain Dispenser with Wood Counter Stand Review
Although New Wave Enviro 796515300369 BL2wstand Porcelain Dispenser with Wood Counter Stand doesn’t work for every counter, it’s making its way onto tabletops everywhere. The wood counter stands make it convenient, so you don’t necessarily lose out on table or counter space.
Overall, it’s the sleek design that makes this such an excellent option. This porcelain crock is lead-free and holds 2 ½ gallons while supporting a 3 or 5-gallon water bottle. These crocks do well to prevent leaks with a sturdy ring around faucet that will hold up through months of consistent use.
The great thing about its porcelain construction is that it cleans easily. The wood stands however not only require a bit of assembly but can grab onto dust or grime as well. But the wood stand offers a lot of support.
9. 5-Gallon Water Bottle Cooler Dispenser stand with 55mm Nonscrew BPA-Free Valve Stainless Steel Rack Review
Unlike the other water coolers that take up a ton of space, this steel rack is a water dispenser doesn’t take up much more room than a standard 5-gallon water bottle. The Faz Flo spout ensures that your cup fills up instantly.
The goal of using this style of water dispensers is to eliminate the plastic waste that comes from plastic bottles. But, you want something that will last for years, not just a few months. 5-Gallon Water Bottle Cooler Dispenser stand with 55mm Nonscrew BPA-Free Valve Stainless Steel Rack will last for years. The spigot installs easily onto any 5-gallon water bottle. After you get the spigot on, all you have to do is lift the water jug into the rack.
This water dispenser rack only relies on gravity. There aren’t any electrical parts to deal with, but best of all, it is user-friendly in every way. The rack is easy to clean, and dishwasher safe. It’s also collapsible, and portable.
10. Comfee Countertop Bottleless Water Cooler Purifier Review
Bottleless, UL certified, and made for your countertop are all aspects that make up a great water dispenser for home use. There are a series of reminders for the smart filter, so you’ll never go without fresh, purified drinking water.
The cold water dispenses right at 50-degrees Fahrenheit and holds an exact temperature well throughout the day. This countertop design makes it easy to grab a glass of water. But if everyone is grabbing a drink at once, it won’t affect the water temperature.
The slim design makes it a quality choice for small kitchens, or for people who need filtered drinking water. It sits on your countertop without impeding on your space. Comfee Countertop Bottleless Water Cooler Purifier works through a refined carbon and coconut filter to catch a wide array of impurities.
Avoid – Nutrichef Countertop Water Cooler Dispenser Review
The biggest downside of this Nutrichef unit is that it leaks everywhere. The seals are cheap plastic that cracks, tear, or fall out of place easily. You might be lucky to see a few weeks of quality water dispensing before this unit leaks everywhere.
Then there is the issue of taste. The sub-par plastic leaves a longstanding, unpleasant taste in your mouth. Although Nutrichef is a well-known name, they don’t have great customer service. They won’t respond to any issues regarding leaking or the plastic taste.
The innovative tabletop design falls flat. Nutrichef Countertop Water Cooler Dispenser is hands down the worst water dispenser for home use on the market. Skip this innovative design and go with an option that will last for more than a few weeks.
Avoid – Honeywell HWB2052S2 Tabletop Water Cooler Dispenser Review
Honeywell isn’t aiming for the stars with this model, and they’ve still managed to come up short. Although the design appears simple with only 2 spouts, there are many flaws in the basic construction that lead to leaks, and issues with holding an accurate temperature.
The hot water option is only good for 4 liters per hour, which is lower than the standard for water dispensers with heating options. But the cold water option is even worse. This unit only cools 2 liters of water per hour. This volume is not enough for a household.
Avoid Honeywell HWB2052S2 Tabletop Water Cooler Dispenser for home use. Many other bottleless water dispensers provide hot, cold and even room temperature water. The final issue with this water dispenser is the size. It’s the tabletop water cooler that takes up too much space to sit on your tabletop for long.
2018 Buyers Guide to the Best Water Dispenser for Home Use
A lot of factors go into deciding which water dispenser is best for your home. But, you should first consider safety, ease of use, and water dispenser type. These three aspects will guide you to the water dispenser that fits your needs.
3 Main Points to Consider
- Safety: When you’re using a water dispenser at home, you have to consider safety. You don’t want to chance an accident that you could otherwise avoid. Water dispenser accidents include tipping and burns. The first primary concern is accidental burns. Water dispensers that provide hot water come with burn risks. Many water dispensers will use a child safety lock as a solution to prevent burns from hot water. Whenever you’re grabbing a mug of hot water, you’ll need to use both hands. The first hand will need to hold the cup and activate the lever, while the second hand will take care of the safety lock. The best locks are buttons that are hard to depress. When it comes to tipping, you’ll need to worry about the base of the unit. Most water dispensers have a heavy bottom to prevent tipping.
- Ease of Use: A water dispenser should always be easy to use. But, because of features like hot water, self cleaning functions, and multi-stage filtration systems, these dispensers can become overly complex. The more complicated the features, the more likely the unit is to malfunction. When you’re trying to decide if the water dispenser you’re looking at is easy to use, look for simple controls and LED indicators. A light indicator will help you save time from checking on water levels or waiting for water to hit the right temperature. When it comes to controls, you’re always better off with lever controlled faucets. The lever control is a classic function that will last for years. When you get into button water dispensers, they attempt to cut you off at specific volumes rather than just dispensing until you have the water you need.
- Water Dispenser Type: When people imagine a water cooler dispenser, they think of the classic, white, top-loading water dispenser. There are so many different water dispenser types now, such as bottom loading, or bottleless. For the home, a bottom loading, or countertop works best. A bottom loading water cooler is easy to reload as necessary. The 3 or 5-gallon water bottle slides into the bottom of the water dispenser and usually has a pump or siphon that fits onto the water bottle. Countertop water dispensers are usually bottleless or top loading. A top loading countertop water dispenser will need overhead space that might not work well under cupboards. Bottleless water dispensers are gaining popularity but do need direct access to a water line. Kitchens are ideal for bottleless water dispensers because you place them right next to the sink and use the same waterline.
Why are countertop, bottleless and porcelain and glass water dispensers preferred for the home vs. top load water coolers?
Countertop water coolers, bottleless, porcelain and glass water dispensers all share one primary advantage over top loading water coolers. The fact that you don’t have to lift and flip a bulky water bottle makes all the difference when you’re using a water dispenser at home.
Although many people are opting for bottom loading water coolers, they still come with the struggle of handling these overly large water bottles. Countertop and porcelain water dispensers aren’t large enough to handle the too heavy water bottles.
The best option for the home is a bottleless water dispenser. A dispenser that hooks up directly to an existing water line completely removes the need for water bottles. When you’re using a water dispenser at home, you want something that is convenient, and that eliminates water bottle waste.
DIY Water Dispenser Installation (Video Tutorial):
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Water Dispenser for Home Use
There are many options available, but the best water dispenser for home use of 2018 is out there. You need a water dispenser that is safe, easy to use, and will last you for years. Focus on finding the right unit for the space you have to work within your home.